cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressors

Blay
Explorer
Explorer
I’m having a really hard time keeping my air compressor at a steady flow rate. I turn it to 30 psi and when I go inside to open a valve and come back outside the pressure has either gone way high or too low. At one point before I could get back outside it was up to 60psi !!!!! Do you think I screwed something up? I need some serious compressor training 101 Help Thank you
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Adjust the pressure with a/the regulator, not the flow.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

falconbrother
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just leave a cheap HF compressor in my RV all the time. I use it to winterize and top off tires. It's super simple to use. One gauge is the pressure in the tank, one is the pressure you set with the knob.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not knowing what compressor you have, I will say all are not equal, especially when it comes to accuracy of the gauges. I have a Dewalt compressor that has good quality gauges on it. I set mine to 40 psi for blowing the RV lines. The other gauge will show 165 psi. It uses a big volume of air when opening faucets, and my line pressure will drop to low 30s while blowing, go back to 40 psi when faucet closes. Your compressor line set psi should not continue to rise well past set psi.

I doubt 60 psi for a short while, would cause any issue with your lines/faucets, but again, all lines/fittings are not equal. Here is the compressor I use. The hose fittings, gauges, switch, and valves, are good quality.

Jerry

Blay
Explorer
Explorer
I am doing all of that,but it seems to me I should be able to regulate it better. When it went up for a few seconds do you think I messed something up?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what kind of compressor you have or how big it is but I'm going to assume it's a typical one where you have two gauges. One gauge will show the tank pressure and one gauge will show the air regulator pressure (hose). There should be a knob that turns to regulate what you want your regulator pressure to be. Make sure the air drain valve typically found underneath the compressor tank is not leaking air when the tank is full. Remember, when you open a sink valve, it's the same as having an open air hose so it's not uncommon to have the PSI read different. Are you keeping the compressor plugged in and running when using it so it can replenish the air you're using?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Compressor make, model, year?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad