cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winter in Vancouver Island

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
So I just read in my local paper that just about every RV park on Vancouver Island is booked solid right through the winter until April. This is Canadians from colder parts of Canada who normally go south for the winter but can't because of the border closing taking advantage of the relative mild winters on Vancouver Island and the coast of BC in general. In a normal year the parks would only be about 30-40% full, so a great boost for the local economy.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper
25 REPLIES 25

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
I wonder if boondocking is viable on Vancouver Island.

Are there Provincial Parks open?

Thanks to an Id ten T person in Saskatoon (he was asked to move along, and did so--after pulling his black tank valve) none of the Walmarts in Saskatchewan allow over night parking.

The Provincial Parks are open for the winter--at least where I am on mid Vancouver Island. The rates are half price for a senior, and some have showers. None that I know of have any hook ups at all, and the sites are the next thing to boondocking. During summer you can stay for a total of 2 weeks, but I don't think that there are restrictions after Labour Day. Something to check on if anyone is interested.

One would have to be very lucky to get a serviced site anywhere at this point, but you never know.

More info at https://www.discovercamping.ca/bccweb/
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
....the new NCEP CPC long-lead 2-Class forecast just came out 2 days ago. Looks like below average temperatures from southern BC to Ontario for Dec/January here--> Then, Jan/February temperatures look below normal for Southern BC to western Ontario here--> Same below normal temps for Feb/March here--> and Mar/April will be the worst below average cold for all southern region areas of Provinces from BC to Ontario Mar/April here--> Probability of precipitation will be strongly above average for southern BC Nov/Dec and Dec/Jan and Mar/April. No clue whether precip will fall as ice, wet snow or rain.

Anyone RVing in southern BC may be better off renting an apartment or winterized mobile home YMMV. These are all the campgrounds in BC that have partial or full winter hookups: here-->

Thanks, a good post, lots of info. I just winterized my 5th wheel today and am glad I have my nice warm house to spend the winter in.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Cheers, Bob's Your Uncle ๐Ÿ™‚
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand wrote:
....the new NCEP CPC long-lead 2-Class...... snip

Wow, nice work, thanks for doing this.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Reisender wrote:
Great links dude. Thanks.

....cheers man!
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
silversand wrote:
....the new NCEP CPC long-lead 2-Class forecast just came out 2 days ago. Looks like below average temperatures from southern BC to Ontario for Dec/January here--> Then, Jan/February temperatures look below normal for Southern BC to western Ontario here--> Same below normal temps for Feb/March here--> and Mar/April will be the worst below average cold for all southern region areas of Provinces from BC to Ontario Mar/April here--> Probability of precipitation will be strongly above average for southern BC Nov/Dec and Dec/Jan and Mar/April. No clue whether precip will fall as ice, wet snow or rain.

Anyone RVing in southern BC may be better off renting an apartment or winterized mobile home YMMV. These are all the campgrounds in BC that have partial or full winter hookups: here-->

Great links dude. Thanks.

silversand
Explorer
Explorer

Silver

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
I just read a long range forecast for the Island and southern BC saying to expect a colder than normal winter with more snow than usual. The only consolation is that it probably will be short.

FULLTIMEWANABE wrote:
Are you bracing yourself for the upcoming potentially -11 weekend like we are here in DeWinton Bob? Brrrrr.

Yup, sure am! I'm in Silverado, so not that far from you. A week ago I was out in just a t shirt. Gee whiz.....
Nice weekend to stay home.... Brrrrr is right
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS

pianotuna wrote:
Bob,

Why have you sent snow to Regina? Did you ask permission to do so???? * GRIN *

Well Don buddy, I was thinking of you! I just couldn't bear to think I was hogging all the snow for myself, so I got out all my summertime fans, put them up on the roof and pointed them at Regina!!
Didn't think you'd mind, so no need to ask permission!

You're welcome! :B :B

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Brrrrr.
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bob,

Why have you sent snow to Regina? Did you ask permission to do so???? * GRIN *
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reisender wrote:
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Wish I was in the Okanogan right now.
Here in Calgary we just got our first snowfall night before last. I had to clear 2 inches of snow off the back walk and yard to let the dog out.... Blah....

Donโ€™t worry. Itโ€™s made of water. Itโ€™ll disappear...in about 6 months. :).

Oh gee thanks! :B

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Wish I was in the Okanogan right now.
Here in Calgary we just got our first snowfall night before last. I had to clear 2 inches of snow off the back walk and yard to let the dog out.... Blah....

Donโ€™t worry. Itโ€™s made of water. Itโ€™ll disappear...in about 6 months. :).