Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Easiest route from Grand Canyon (Williams) to Bluff, UT
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Easiest route from Grand Canyon (Williams) to Bluff, UT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
roadschooladventurer

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 06:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time poster here. Also "new" to RV traveling (been stationary full-timing for 18 months). Need some advice please!

We will be traveling to Bluff, UT from Williams, AZ tomorrow. I will be driving my own vehicle and my husband will be towing our 38' fifth wheel with his F250 7.3 diesel. His truck is in excellent shape, but he feels we're pushing its limits with our heavy load (~16K lbs). We would love to go east on I40 first and see Petrified Forest Nat'l Park, then head north on 191. But I've been researching that route and it seems difficult. Should we just take 89 from Flagstaff up to 160 and then get on 163? What's the easiest route? Thanks for any help!

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've taken 191 a number of times thru the reservation and I don't recall any major grades if that is what you are worried about. Went thru there last summer. Just western two lane highway. Watch your speed the tribal police will give you a ticket. Gas up before you leave I-40 the res was in a lockdown and I don't know what is open.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/20 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

US 89 and US 160, through Tuba City, are the quickest by an hour or so.

Reservation Corona virus numbers are horrific. Navajo Times..Oct. 11th...

https://navajotimes.com/coronavirus-updates/covid-19-across-the-navajo-nation/

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

roadschooladventurer

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks! We don't have a problem with speed haha. Even semis pass us on occasion...

roadschooladventurer

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. We weren't planning on stopping anywhere in Navajo Nation, so not too worried about covid. Would prefer going through the Petrified Forest, so not looking for the quickest route. Just the least grades mainly.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

None of those roads are difficult. Relax. All of them are fine.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you end up going east on I-40 to the Petrified Forrest make a stop at Meteor Crater. It is a little pricey to get in but worth a visit {once}.

Here are a couple of pics:

[image]

This is a shot of the largest fragment ever found of the Meteor, look at the size of this "rock"... it weighs 20,000#!

[image]

[emoticon]

TexasShadow

Spring Branch, TX USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the last time we took 191 north from I 40, several years ago, part of the road was rougher than a cob, but passable. Maybe that has improved. Other than that, there are no grade problems I can think of. From Bluff, if you go north, the road rises gradually, but steadily all the way to Moab, I think.
If you decide to go that way, go south on 180 from Holbrook, down to the south entrance of Petrified Forest, then drive north up through the park...then you won't have to back track.

TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you towed with this setup yet?

Double check your ratings. You are likely well over both payload and tow rating.

A quick check of the last 7.3 (2003) had 3380 payload and 12,500 tow rating.

With 16k 5th wheel, you should be at around 3200 pin weight at a minimum and could easily be north of 3500lb. Add in 200lb for the hitch weight plus anything else including the husband and you will easily be over the payload.

Not saying people don't do it but he's right about the truck being pretty marginal.

If you have Google Earth (not Google Maps), you can enter a route and then by right clicking, it will show you a profile of the route so you can get an idea of the grades involved. Not perfect but pretty good.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Easiest route from Grand Canyon (Williams) to Bluff, UT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.