Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: NEW TOW VEHICLE ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> NEW TOW VEHICLE ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2016 Explorer Sport as my daily driver. I have around 50,000 miles on it. Other than normal maintenance stuff, I have had no problems with it and it's really fun to drive. I've only towed a utility trailer with it though.

BUT, it will be tight with 4 kids. The third row is small. I don't use it, as I have dogs instead of kids, so it stays folded down for a large cargo area. Be sure you look at a Sport or Platinum for the 3.5 Eco-Boost. The XLT and Limited only have the non EB 3.5 and I believe their towing capacity is lower. Also when I was shopping, I found pre-2016 models did not all have the towing package, it was an extra option. Also you will need to watch your payload very carefully, especially with 4 kids. You may not be able to tow a trailer and have the whole family in there at once. My payload is something around 1250lbs I believe.

I had a Pathfinder as a rental before. It was lower end of course, and it was total garbage. I have no input on the Durango other than I think they have a nice appearance.

ETA: One note on the 3.5 EB engine, it really does do better with Premium gas. So that's something to consider. Also I'm not sure you can find a 2 year old used Sport or Platinum (to get the EB engine) for 25k or under, unless it has super high miles. But there isn't much difference between a 2016 like mine, and a 2019. So don't lock yourself into the 2 year old thing.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3rd times the charm Bob?

FWIW, you've asked for the same input at least twice before in recent months.
The answers won't change.

The mid size suv's you're asking about don't seem practical to me for 4 kids for regular use (big or small kids). Ever access miniature 3rd row seats daily?
But they have slightly better tow ratings than a minivan, although save for a 3.5 Ecoboost Explorer or a Hemi Durango, the towing performance will be ANEMIC.
And under $25k for 2 years old and still under factory bumper to bumper warranty (can't have high miles and get an extended warranty) is not a reality for the models that tow well and they're still small.

Thoughts on "these rigs or others"?
Re-read your last 2 threads on this.

Personally if I had to haul 6 and wanted a DD and tow rig for $25k, I would do one of 3 things.
1. Buy an old GMT400 Suburban 3/4 ton big block low miles for about $8k and spend $17k on a low mile mini van.
2. Spend $25k on the best newer suburban or Expedition I could find.
3. Buy a big van that does both.

Your wants/needs aren't commensurate with a minivan or a mini SUV. Period.

* This post was edited 10/12/20 01:09pm by Grit dog *

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the fine print on towing for those vehicles. Some of them have frontal area restrictions. A hybrid or full sized TT at 4000pounds dry and 4500-4800 pounds loaded with a family's gear will not likely be pleasant for a vehicle with only 5000 pound tow rating. Full sized vans are very good values, especially used, compared to the SUVs you listed.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many types of trailers: flat bed, horse, boat, dump, cargo, travel trailer, etc. By far the most difficult to tow is a hard sided travel trailer. They have a huge frontal area, they are not very aerodynamic, they have a very high percentage of tongue weight and there is very limited ability to move weight around to adjust the tongue weight.
The same tow vehicle that might do very well pulling a 5,000 pound boat might really be a struggling handful with a 4,000 pound RV. The point is, just because it has a 5,000 pound tow rating doesn't mean it's a good vehicle to tow a 5,000 pound RV with. Personally, I wouldn't pick any of those vehicles. I would be looking at something like a Chevy Tahoe or the Ford or Toyota equivalents.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I echo those who are suggesting that you revisit your expectations here. A box trailer that sleeps six is not going to come light. Add in the weight of that family of 6 in the vehicle, and I would suggest that 5k will be well below your actual need. At the very least, I would suggest that you move up to the full-size Suburban or Expedition to try to accomplish what you have in mind.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> NEW TOW VEHICLE ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.