Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN (new tricks)

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple of RV winterizing questions:
QUESTIONS:
.. - What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)
..- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.
CURIOUSITY:
..- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES
10 REPLIES 10

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
cummins2014 wrote:
IMO I wouldn’t use compressed air , unless you have filtration system on your compressor. There is no way I want what I see draining out of mine going into those water lines .
I don't run mine all that much, and never when I'm not using it. So there isn't time for it to draw water in the line, and in truth. We don't drink the water that comes thru the lines in the camper. we carry bottled water to cook with, and drink.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent point there cummins :E

Limit4
Explorer
Explorer
Just on the tire cover, being a 5 or 6 times a year camper and usually for 2 weeks or less, I remove my cover before I leave and put it on when I return home. I have lost 2 when traveling.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IMO I wouldn’t use compressed air , unless you have filtration system on your compressor. There is no way I want what I see draining out of mine going into those water lines .

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
LP - Turn off the main valve at the cylinder only.

Tire Cover - Blew off en route a decade ago and never replaced.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
GPG52! wrote:
Thank you to all..
BurbMan, when you say "relieve the pressure on the check valve" are you referring to the Hot Water Tank check valve?
just open a valve / faucet any where. It will let the pressure off the system
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

GPG52_
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all..
BurbMan, when you say "relieve the pressure on the check valve" are you referring to the Hot Water Tank check valve?
GPG 🙂
2014 Ford F250, 6.2L, 4.30 Ratio, 6 speed
2014 Cougar (by Keystone) 327 RES

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you set the air pressure about the same as the city water pressure regulator, it shouldn't hurt anything.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
BurbMan wrote:
- What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)

I would stay around 40-45 psi, that's where a regulator keeps you when connected to city water. Don't forget to open the low point drains and relieve the pressure on the check valve.

- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.

I leave my propane connected and on year-round. I am usually in the RV during the off-season making mods of some kind and sometimes it's nice to have heat on.

- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.

The cover protects the tire primarily from UV damage which is just as bad in the winter as summer. If you're parked in such a way that the spare stays out of the sun all day, then it wouldn't hurt to bring the cover inside. If your spare gets any sun at all, I would leave the cover on it.

Also remember to prop open the fridge doors when it's turned off to prevent mold and mildew.

I remove my spare tire and lay it inside the camper. It's clean, and hurts nothing. Ain't heavy either.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
- What is the optimum PSI used when blowing out your RV water lines? (Newer trailers using PEX piping)

I would stay around 40-45 psi, that's where a regulator keeps you when connected to city water. Don't forget to open the low point drains and relieve the pressure on the check valve.

- Do you disconnect your LP gas tanks before winter storage? After you securely close your LP tank valves, do you disconnect the tanks to relieve pressure in your RV's gas lines.

I leave my propane connected and on year-round. I am usually in the RV during the off-season making mods of some kind and sometimes it's nice to have heat on.

- More of a preference on my part... Do you remove your spare tire cover and store it indoors vs. leaving it out to the elements for the winter months...con's leaves the spare tire open to elements and possible premature weather damage.

The cover protects the tire primarily from UV damage which is just as bad in the winter as summer. If you're parked in such a way that the spare stays out of the sun all day, then it wouldn't hurt to bring the cover inside. If your spare gets any sun at all, I would leave the cover on it.

Also remember to prop open the fridge doors when it's turned off to prevent mold and mildew.