cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

toilet seal

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
in 20+ camping years- never saw this (or had this issue)
My RV toilet does not hold water- (it flushes)- but i know I've always hit the foot pedal slightly and filled up the bowl at times-
It works but does not hold water until you flush it (then the waste geos down)- Is this just a bad seal in the flap (or whatever it's called at bottom?)
13 REPLIES 13

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
mbopp wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Recently had the same problem with mine. Thetford Aqua Magic II. Had to turn off water, disconnect lines, remove toilet from floor flange. Flip toilet upside down, separate toilet in the middle and replace seal. Reverse steps. If you get the seal kit, also replace the floor seal at the same time.

Depends on the model. On my Dometic with the China bowl, you just hold the pedal down to move the ball over and reach in and pull the seal out of the groove. Takes about 20 seconds if you're very slow.

Other models might require some disassembly.

Why did you have to remove it from the flange? I thought you could separate it while still bolted down. And I watched one video where no disassembly was required to replace the seal.

I suppose a contortionist could've done it without removing but I'm not that limber. It's just too **** close to the wall.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
On a prior 5er, the pedal started to immediately open the hole as well as the bowl not holding water. The fix was to tighten the bolts compressing the seal better (additional resistance on seal would allow bowl filling function to work without opening hole, and additional compression sealed better). Worked for few years after tightening until we traded in.

On our new 5er, I let the bowl dry out when storing and it started leaking (not holding water). I cleaned seal and lubed with vegetable oil. It worked fine again. Since then (a year or more ago) when storing for more than a couple weeks I empty and place 1/2โ€ of vegetable oil in toilet. It doesnโ€™t evaporate, and keeps the seal lubed. Working great.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Ours did this a few years back. As other have said, I cut the water, stepped on the pedal, removed the old one, then lubed and installed the new. It can be a bit tricky to get everything lined up perfectly, but it's not too hard or time consuming.

I will say that I had to lube the new one a once or twice a year to make sure that the cap will fully close when releasing the pedal. It has a tendency to stick.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
HappyKayakers wrote:
Recently had the same problem with mine. Thetford Aqua Magic II. Had to turn off water, disconnect lines, remove toilet from floor flange. Flip toilet upside down, separate toilet in the middle and replace seal. Reverse steps. If you get the seal kit, also replace the floor seal at the same time.

Depends on the model. On my Dometic with the China bowl, you just hold the pedal down to move the ball over and reach in and pull the seal out of the groove. Takes about 20 seconds if you're very slow.

Why did you have to remove it from the flange? I thought you could separate it while still bolted down. And I watched one video where no disassembly was required to replace the seal.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine started leaking recently after 15 years. By the time I pull it apart you can bet I am putting a new one in. Amazon delivered the new seal a couple days ago.

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
thank you!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Take the seal out of its groove and clean it and the groove. Then lube the seal with vegetable oil and see if that cures it. If the seal is simple to replace
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
maybe a good cleaning will fix it.

huskyfan68
Explorer
Explorer
ok wasn't sure how difficult it was to replace/do the work.
thanks-

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem - should be lots of threads on the subject (use the forum search feature). Sometimes cleaning/lubing the edges of the sliding mechanism works ... sometimes not.
Kevin

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Yes