Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: PD charge wizard not working
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PD charge wizard not working

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since I put the solar panels ontop of the trailer I haven't used the PD 9280 I put in a few years ago. When I parked the trailer a while ago in the RV Port I plugged in the trailer my trimetric showed the converter was not putting out many amps, then I noticed the LED on the wizard wasn't lit up and pushing the button didn't do anything either.

It's stilll plugged in, I removed the jack and plugged it in again and still can't get the converter into bulk mode.
So my question is do you think the issue is the wizard or would something be wrong with the PD9280?
Thx

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line
480 watts of solar

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the charge in the batteries?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the battery voltage?

Consider disconnecting the panels and check the PD operation next day. With the wizard light out I suspect an open power circuit to the battery or 12v system. Possibly the wizard communication cable was disconnected.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Batteries were at 66%.
It was charging the batteries but not in bulk mode, and like I said I disconnected and reconnected the wizard phone jack.

The LED of the Wizard should normally be on when the PD is on.

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Technically the Wizard is built in to the PD unit. The thing with the LED and button is an optional remote pennant. If the LED isn’t lit and the unit doesn’t seem to produce any current something is probably wrong with the PD itself. It could be as simple as a blown fuse.

You can also try disconnecting the pennant and see if there is any charging current in case the pennant has failed and is confusing the main unit.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Way back, the graphs the OP produced indicated the unit went into Boost by itself because the batts were low enough. The unit dropped to Float after about 3 hours.

If the CW had been used to initiate Boost, AFAIK it should have stayed at that for a full 4 hours, then drop to Float.

In this case, it would be worth running the batts down to under 50% SOC, and then connect the PD9280 to see if it still would go into Boost by itself. If it did then a new pendant would be indicated.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Technically the Wizard is built in to the PD unit. The thing with the LED and button is an optional remote pennant. If the LED isn’t lit and the unit doesn’t seem to produce any current something is probably wrong with the PD itself. It could be as simple as a blown fuse.

You can also try disconnecting the pennant and see if there is any charging current in case the pennant has failed and is confusing the main unit.

It is charging the batteries but not in bulk mode.

BFL13 wrote:

Way back, the graphs the OP produced indicated the unit went into Boost by itself because the batts were low enough. The unit dropped to Float after about 3 hours.

If the CW had been used to initiate Boost, AFAIK it should have stayed at that for a full 4 hours, then drop to Float.

In this case, it would be worth running the batts down to under 50% SOC, and then connect the PD9280 to see if it still would go into Boost by itself. If it did then a new pendant would be indicated.

Thanks Barry, that's a good idea and is what I'm gonna try next.

I *DO* remember it didn't put out the max 80 amps very long but it charged a lot faster than the WFCO the trailer came with.

* This post was edited 10/12/20 07:23pm by Fisherguy *

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Barry, I took the batteries down to 44% and plugged in the trailer, got 77.5 amps on the Trimetric so it IS going into bulk mode, will order a new "Wizard" and hopefully that works.

It's funny though, since I went to solar I got outa the habit of even looking at the wizard to see what was going on until now.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to see the voltage at the converter's terminals (not the battery's) as 14.x to know if it is in Boost. It is possible to get high amps at 13.x at first with a low battery.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A version of Fisherguy's old graph here with "photobucket" written over it for some reason: scroll down to Salvo's post with the graph

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fusea......../tid/24655789/srt/pa/pging/1/page/10.cfm

EDIT here is Fisherguy's actual post on that

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24129716.cfm

* This post was edited 10/18/20 02:10pm by BFL13 *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> PD charge wizard not working
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.