cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thor Axis 24.1

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the Class C section. But while looking for short Class C's (24 ft) I noticed a new Axis 24.1 which is only 7 ins longer than the C's I was looking at. It also was a few ins less in height, a longer WB, 188 ins vs 159 ins for the C's, more storage, more water and more CCC. The drivers area had better room than the Ford 350 or 450 chassis and about the same as the sprinter chassis. I was also $10k cheaper than the Sprinter class C's with much more HP(350 vs 190).The only difficulty looked to be getting to the engine to change plugs, filter etc. Has anyone purchased this model? Are there any regrets or downsides I am not seeing.
37 REPLIES 37

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
DrewE wrote:
Gjac wrote:
way2roll wrote:

On edit - that's also a dealership I would avoid. Not allowing you to look under the hood/doghouse of an RV you are considering buying is ridiculous. Did they say why?
No the salesman would not give me a valid reason even when I pressed him on the issue only to say the technicians would not allow the dog house to be removed. My thinking is MH's are really selling now and someone will buy it without scrutiny. I stopped at a Camping world in St Augustine Fl. and looked at several 24 ft Class C's and wanted to take one for a test drive. The Mgr would not allow a test drive until an offer was made. I said to the sales men why would I make an offer unless I liked the way the MH handled. His answer was the are selling like hotcakes this year by first time buyers because of the corona virus. So next year when the fear of the virus ceases it may be a buyers market again.

Shenanigans of this sort would make me walk away from the dealership more or less immediately. There's a reasonably good chance they might change their tune when they see you aren't willing to put up with the silliness. Even if they don't relent immediately, I might wander back in a couple days if I was particularly interested in a particular RV; maybe they'd be more reasonable, maybe not.

Asking to look under the hood of a vehicle you're considering (which is basically what the doghouse is), or take a test drive before making an offer, are both perfectly reasonable and ordinary requests. If the reason for refusing a test drive was something appropriate, such as "you don't have the appropriate driver's license for this vehicle," that would be a different story; but not letting you test drive until you've made a commitment (even if somewhat tentative) to purchase is not reasonable.

Downright dumb if you ask me. Who buys a MH that doesn't test drive it?

Op, you may want to talk the the sales manager. Maybe the salesperson was being lazy.
. It was the sales mgr of CW that would not allow a test drive the salesmen himself would have allowed it. I would not do business with either of these dealerships.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd make a full price offer contingent on liking the way it drives, then tell them you don't like it just to make them mad.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
DrewE wrote:
Gjac wrote:
way2roll wrote:

On edit - that's also a dealership I would avoid. Not allowing you to look under the hood/doghouse of an RV you are considering buying is ridiculous. Did they say why?
No the salesman would not give me a valid reason even when I pressed him on the issue only to say the technicians would not allow the dog house to be removed. My thinking is MH's are really selling now and someone will buy it without scrutiny. I stopped at a Camping world in St Augustine Fl. and looked at several 24 ft Class C's and wanted to take one for a test drive. The Mgr would not allow a test drive until an offer was made. I said to the sales men why would I make an offer unless I liked the way the MH handled. His answer was the are selling like hotcakes this year by first time buyers because of the corona virus. So next year when the fear of the virus ceases it may be a buyers market again.

Shenanigans of this sort would make me walk away from the dealership more or less immediately. There's a reasonably good chance they might change their tune when they see you aren't willing to put up with the silliness. Even if they don't relent immediately, I might wander back in a couple days if I was particularly interested in a particular RV; maybe they'd be more reasonable, maybe not.

Asking to look under the hood of a vehicle you're considering (which is basically what the doghouse is), or take a test drive before making an offer, are both perfectly reasonable and ordinary requests. If the reason for refusing a test drive was something appropriate, such as "you don't have the appropriate driver's license for this vehicle," that would be a different story; but not letting you test drive until you've made a commitment (even if somewhat tentative) to purchase is not reasonable.

Downright dumb if you ask me. Who buys a MH that doesn't test drive it?

Op, you may want to talk the the sales manager. Maybe the salesperson was being lazy.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
way2roll wrote:

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
way2roll wrote:

Ah, Camping world. The Wal mart of the RV industry.

Not exactly. Walmart has a pretty generous return policy

LOL! You got me there!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:

Not exactly. Walmart has a pretty generous return policy

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gjac wrote:
way2roll wrote:
Gjac wrote:
As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable and good for you. That is one of the issues I saw noted in some reviews, the inability to access the batteries etc. It was one of the few complaints I remember seeing, but a consistent one.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
way2roll wrote:
Gjac wrote:
As I noted in my OP it looked difficult to access the engine because the dog house was so small. I wanted to go back and see what the access was like with the dog house removed. It only had about 4 screws to remove cover. The salesmen called me back and said the techs at the dealership would not allow the cover to come off. I thought that strange and of course only reinforced my belief of the difficulty of changing spark plugs or adding water to the battery. Was my request unreasonable?

Nope, not unreasonable and good for you. That is one of the issues I saw noted in some reviews, the inability to access the batteries etc. It was one of the few complaints I remember seeing, but a consistent one.

warrenjo46
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
way2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
"......but also have a lower tow rating (18,500 combined vs 22,000 combined)"

But unless you have a Sherman tank as a toad, for most the difference in tow rating is probably a non-issue :C

I was surprised at the 2020 specs for capacity on such a small coach. Depending on the model there is between 6-7.5k lbs of actual towing capacity. Impressive for such a small coach - or maybe it's because it's a small coach. There are a LOT of larger gassers with almost no capacity left.
You are right my current 33 ft Class A can't tow that much. When I compare specs against other Class A's or space against small Class C's. HP/wt ratio, WB/L ratio all look impressive. The only concern is the quality of Thor products. That is why I asked if any on here actually own one, but not one owner has responded yet.

OK, now you did it. I owned a 2015 Vegas 24.1 for two years and really liked it. I don't understand the comments about Thor quality unless I was just lucky. I can not complain about the quality a bit.
the OP is correct about working on the engine. I had to replace the battery and it took me half a day to get it done. However, I think that motor homes are generally compact and that makes repair and replace more difficult.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
carringb wrote:

Well, if you decide to proceed, maybe make your offer contingent on a maintenance contract that includes spark plugs, spark plug wires, and batteries for the first 5 years?

Doubt the RV would run enough in 5 years to need plugs. OEM battery is good for 6

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:

Well, if you decide to proceed, maybe make your offer contingent on a maintenance contract that includes spark plugs, spark plug wires, and batteries for the first 5 years?
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gjac wrote:

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
way2roll wrote:
The Axis/Vegas is an RUV - which is a fancy way to market a C and A hybrid. They are built on the e350 or E450 Chassis - depending on which year it was manufactured. So they aren't a true Class A. They were marketed as a way to take kids to soccer games, travelling sports families, tailgating that sort of thing. I've owned a Thor Class A (an ACE) and while we knew what we were buying, I must admit that quality is about the lowest in the industry. But so are their prices. If you have realistic expectations then you might be OK, but buyer beware. The sprinters you are looking at are Mercedes chassis so there is a reason they cost more and you are comparing oranges to basketballs comparing it to a Vegas. A Class B Plus or small C on a Mercedes chassis is going to be so much easier and quieter to drive and your mileage will be much better as well. Nothing wrong with the Vegas/Axis if that's what you want and have realistic expectations but there isn't much comparison to that and something on a Sprinter chassis with a diesel engine.

How does that make it not a Class A? It's built on a bare chassis with no factory cab or body. I understand the chassis is the same as that of an E350 or 450, but without the factory cab by definition it's a Class A.

You are correct -- they are Class A's. Class C's are built on cutaway chassis' and CLass B's are van cutaway's or solid boxes. Thor can call it an RUV if they want to, trying to create a new class and broaden the appeal, but it is a true Class A.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress