cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pretty Sure Dual Cam Shouldn't Look Like This!

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Got home today & this is what happened to my Reese Dual Cam. Both pieces are supposed to be straight. Ouch.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
26 REPLIES 26

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
In the second pic the newer cam hangers have that bend to them. It put the chain centered above the cam.
The first pic looks like it got jammed somehow and bent it.

I towed with a DC for 17 years and had it on 2 different trailers and never had any damage. Is it possible it got caught on a speed bump or something at some point?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi, I may be able to help as I have seen this before.

Arn wrote:
Got home today & this is what happened to my Reese Dual Cam. Both pieces are supposed to be straight. Ouch.

If you could post a closer picture of the hitch setup on the current truck with the camper, we can see more. Need rear bumper of truck to front wall of camper and everything in-between.

The problem you are describing has happened before. So far, all have been traced to a setup problem. Compound angle turns can create a binding problem with the WD bar and the cam arm. Reese has redesigned the HP DC at least 3 times since the first HP DC, trying to make the DC fit more combinations easier. Your arms and the frame brackets look like the type from the early 2,000's. What year did you acquire the WD hitch and cams? The WD head and the tow ball shank can also have an interference pending the hitch head vintage and the type of hitch head.

Different TT's A frames, the hitch head, the hitch shank length, and truck setups have different needs. The one size fits all does not always apply.

The first pics shows a tell tail sign of the WD bar being bound up on the cast bump of the cam arm in a turn.

Give us a few pics of the complete setup, words get confused too much in these cases.

Hope this helps.

John

PS, I found this post from your other post wanting to change to the Equalizer hitch. We may be able to help you sort out what happened to the Reese.

PS 2, post a pic of the old bars too. The bars have changed over the years too. Dig through your old pics and see if you can find one.
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've got the shorter tips as well, but I do disconnect my bars before backing into our driveway because I need more flexibility to be able to freely pivot than when we're driving.

I've never had a bar slip that I know of, but 16 years ago I lost a bar in transit, and Reese sent me a new bar *and* a new hitch head which had redesigned pockets. I have no doubt they'll stand behind your issue.

Even if you're looking to switch hitches, give them a try so you have a complete set to try and sell.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
Arn wrote:
kellem wrote:
After a 2nd look, still can't imagine the culprit other than bottoming out in reverse or possibly an extremely sharp turn where the trunnion was close to being ejected and apon straightening back up.....the top section of trunnion caught the cam bracket.

Inspect the tip of trunnion for gouge marks.

Oh, 6 links does seem to be the sweet spot with these hitches.
\
After listening to what you guys have said & looking at everything I'm thinking the cam slipping out of the trunnion bar makes the most sense. I had to replace my bars this summer & the tip that drops down behind the detent for the cam is very short compared to my old bars. In hindsight I wish I would have kept them just to compare. I have to make a very sharp turn into my driveway & with the longer tip it was not an issue. With the shorter tip the cam probably slipped out the back of the bar & then the bar caught on it when I straightened out. I absolutely love the dual cam but if this is how the damage happened then I either need to disconnect when making sharp turns (not going to happen) or get a different hitch. I was leaning towards Blue Ox but after reading a lot of posts & a lot of reviews I'm now thinking Equalizer. Thank you all.
On a side note I have emailed Reese twice & have not received even as much as an acknowledgement of receipt, not impressed.

Don't email them, give them a call and talk to technical assistance. I called first thing in the morning when I had questions and talked to a tech right away and he was extremely helpful. I never email for customer service. Always get the best support and response talking person to person.

Here's all the info you need for technical support.
Technical Service
800-632-3290
Monday - Friday 8:00am - 6:00pm
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
It wouldn't be the first time Cequent had part number compatibility issues. Two different parts with the same number from the factory.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
kellem wrote:
After a 2nd look, still can't imagine the culprit other than bottoming out in reverse or possibly an extremely sharp turn where the trunnion was close to being ejected and apon straightening back up.....the top section of trunnion caught the cam bracket.

\
After listening to what you guys have said & looking at everything I'm thinking the cam slipping out of the trunnion bar makes the most sense. I had to replace my bars this summer & the tip that drops down behind the detent for the cam is very short compared to my old bars. In hindsight I wish I would have kept them just to compare. I have to make a very sharp turn into my driveway & with the longer tip it was not an issue. With the shorter tip the cam probably slipped out the back of the bar & then the bar caught on it when I straightened out. I absolutely love the dual cam but if this is how the damage happened then I either need to disconnect when making sharp turns (not going to happen) or get a different hitch. I was leaning towards Blue Ox but after reading a lot of posts & a lot of reviews I'm now thinking Equalizer. Thank you all.
On a side note I have emailed Reese twice & have not received even as much as an acknowledgement of receipt, not impressed.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree that some sort of road event must have caused this, these things don't just bend on their own. Since you've had good service out of this hitch set up, I wouldn't jump to another brand without talking to Reese first. At least try to understand what happened before you condemn the hitch. If it happened to you chances are good it's happened to somebody else before, and Reese may have info in their knowledge base on what causes something like this.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
That's pretty far away. Looks like it's a bottom coupler, so clearance usually isn't a problem. Hmmm....
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used the dual-cam on and off for 15 years. Reese is serious about their warranty, so I'd suggest calling them. They sent me replacement parts when I had an issue back in 2006.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
mosseater wrote:
Do you have pix of the set up hitched on the tv before things went wrong?

It's from quite a distance but does show the set up.

Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have pix of the set up hitched on the tv before things went wrong?
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Checked the tip of the trunnion bar & the bottom of the cam & there is no damage beyond what is in the pictures. I'm almost afraid to stick with the Dual Cam setup. I'm in Canada so it's $500 just for the Reese 26002 kit which is only cams, hangar brackets & chains. If I go with that & the same thing happens then I just spent good money after bad. Blue Ox will run me around $1,000 & haven't yet priced Equalizer. What to do, what to do...
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her

kellem
Explorer
Explorer

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
Bracket was on correctly & I don't recall bottoming out. Certainly possible though. I'll check the bottom of the cam & the tip of the bar for scuff marks.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her