cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easiest route from Boise, ID to Hungry Horse, MT

yaya
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at the map and the route I see goes straight thru the mountains. Was wondering if anyone has done this trip and what is is like?
5 REPLIES 5

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We live near Boise and have gone to Glacier/Hungry Horse several ways. The direct route up hwy 95 all the way to Missoula and Hungry Horse.

We've also driven Hwy 55, over the Banks Lowman hwy to Lowman and hwy 21 to Stanley, then 75 to 93 to Salmon and up Missoula, then to Hungry Horse.

Boise to Stanley is a good route for the person here who said not to do it. It is a mountain route, but with the right RV, tow vehicle, and experience, it's a beautiful route, but not as direct as through hwy 95.

Enjoy your trip.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

dedmiston
There's a reason those state borders were drawn the way they were. I'd take the long way too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you take Idaho 55 North from Boise check for road construction delays.

There has been significant construction and delays all summer.

I would take the long way described above. Even when towing I prefer Interstates and 4 lane roads over the narrow winding road such as Idaho 55.

I definitely would not recommend going through Stanley Idaho from Boise if towing.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
US 12 runs thru the mountains and appears to be the most direct. Most if it is along the river, but while the steep grades are few, the curves are many.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
We took the 'easy' (but long) route. I84 to I15 to I90 to rte 93 near Missoula to Kalispel to rte 2 which runs into Hungry Horse. Long, but scenic and we were in no hurry.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad