Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Toy Haulers: Best/worst reviews no help
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Best/worst reviews no help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Coronacross

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 06:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so I have a new side by side - went to off road park and had a blast! So we sold camper and ready to buy new toy hauler. Keep in mind, I must stick with a bumper-pull as my 1 ton has a 6in lift and 37in tires- I need only room for 4 people , however I would like a large hauler, 12ft garage Min,,, I’ve viewed hundreds online and they all “look” amazing- had no clue how nice new campers/haulers are- my old one is an 2004 in great condition but wow !!! My problem is , every brand I look at has a lot of negative reviews , from leaks, things broke, poor quality to poor dealer? Almost purchased a 2021 Cherokee 294rrbl until I read reviews- however every brand I like seems to have bed reviews! Can some of you please help me with a brand and or a model? I honestly don’t have the money to spend on a poor quality unit only to be in the shop. I will however spend good money on a top model. Any help would be much appreciated!

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy a used toy hauler, one that has the bugs worked out of it.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They don't build them for off-roading. That is the problem. They are built like a regular tow trailer.....

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/20 08:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is kind of like Ford or Chevy debate, you find loves and haters what ever you look at, truths some where in the middle. Reading the forums I do I tend to find a lot more people post when they have issues than without.
JMHO

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Megadesertdiesel

Aizona

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they all are made of sticks and staples on a fast assembly line. Buyer beware from cheap entry level to high end. Inspect carefully and use everything before taking delivery.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As noted above, I've seen a few issues that pertain to this...

First, the negatives make more noise - no one comes on posting positive comments because their rig ISN'T leaking. You have to take the number of negatives in the context of how many silent and content owners are out there. The number of those negatives that can be traced back to faulty maintenance is also a tremendous unknown!

Second, as people had said, the pre-inspection is essential. Make sure the dealer knows, well in advance, that you expect to spend hours scouring the rig and that no money will change hands until you've completed the inspection. There WILL be things that need to be remedied, and you should make sure that is all done to your expectation.

Finally, I would not encourage anyone to buy an RV, particularly a trailer, if they weren't at least reasonably handy. Owning a trailer comes with issues - that can't be avoided. Some are from the factory, others are because they are little more than a fancy looking garden shed flying down the highway at 65 mph. In 8 years of ownership, I've had our Rockwood in the shop twice - once to replace the tires and the other time to replace a sagging axle. Everything else I've simply managed myself. Plan to spend some time, each year, fixing the little things, and that will go a long way in your enjoyment overall!

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

First, the negatives make more noise - no one comes on posting positive comments because their rig ISN'T leaking. You have to take the number of negatives in the context of how many silent and content owners are out there. The number of those negatives that can be traced back to faulty maintenance is also a tremendous unknown!

Second, as people had said, the pre-inspection is essential. Make sure the dealer knows, well in advance, that you expect to spend hours scouring the rig and that no money will change hands until you've completed the inspection. There WILL be things that need to be remedied, and you should make sure that is all done to your expectation.

Finally, I would not encourage anyone to buy an RV, particularly a trailer, if they weren't at least reasonably handy. Owning a trailer comes with issues - that can't be avoided. Some are from the factory, others are because they are little more than a fancy looking garden shed flying down the highway at 65 mph. In 8 years of ownership, I've had our Rockwood in the shop twice - once to replace the tires and the other time to replace a sagging axle. Everything else I've simply managed myself. Plan to spend some time, each year, fixing the little things, and that will go a long way in your enjoyment overall!

Well said. The build quality degradation from my 2007 toy hauler to my 2019 fifth wheel is exponential. I blame the mega mfrs. like Forest River and Thor, they bought up all the smaller, more quality focused companies and they're all cookie cutters coming off just a few assembly lines.

Having said that I've read a lot of good things here for Work and Play trailers. Smaller company and quality built, maybe not as fancy though.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Dirtclods

Newport Beach

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your doing the right thing ask do your own research. I've joined an off road group and it's great to get that kind of information your looking for through my group. Good luck!

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nayther wrote:

Mickeyfan0805 wrote:

Well said. The build quality degradation from my 2007 toy hauler to my 2019 fifth wheel is exponential. I blame the mega mfrs. like Forest River and Thor, they bought up all the smaller, more quality focused companies and they're all cookie cutters coming off just a few assembly lines.

Having said that I've read a lot of good things here for Work and Play trailers. Smaller company and quality built, maybe not as fancy though.

Work and Play is Forest River

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/14/20 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years the Desert Fox line up seems to have held up pretty well from my friends with them. They are built in the Northwest, so I'm not sure about availability in your neck of the woods.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Best/worst reviews no help
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.