Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Fridge/Freezer door opening while driving
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fridge/Freezer door opening while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

unbob wrote:

No, not broken. It's a Dometic fridge - the latches are a "flexi" plastic thingy. It's for sure not a positive metal locking latch. Weird thing is that when I pull on the door (with the latch engaged) it won't open - seems to hold the door closed really well.

So it latches well when sitting still but comes unlatched when moving. First thoughts are the fridge is flexing enough to spring the latch. The door shim idea above may work but if you are getting that much flexing they may just fall out.
Maybe try some 3M Dual lock strips. Cut one in half and put half on the frame and half on the door. Then put a whole one connecting the two across the gap for travel. If it doesn't work a little heat from a blow dryer will get them right off.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On a previous camper with that problem, I used a simple screen door latch. Screwed hook to edge of door and and eye screw to trim.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addtion to all that, you said the food was falling out. So the weight of it bounching around may be a problem also, get some small tension curtain rods , put them inside the fridge to hold the food from bounching around.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put small eye hooks on either side of the fridge and then put a bungee cord from one eye hook to the other. Very simple and inelegant. But it works, no matter how bumpy the road.

Also, make sure that putting the bungee cord in place is part of your written pre-departure checklist, along with retracting the stabilizers and removing the power cord and so forth.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

unbob

Hood River, OR

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many thanks for all the great ideas! What a great forum this is!
Yes, I think weight on the door is a major issue - I have it loaded with cans and bottles of stuff so there's some heavy weight for sure. Yesterday one of the plastic door shelves broke apparently from the weight.
I'll research and try some of your suggestions. Again, Thank you all!

Tiger4x4RV

Inland Empire, Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good ideas here. I'll add mine: blue painters tape.

BTW, my 1989 Dometic had a good dependable latch. My 2006 Dometic does not.

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a strap that goes from Kitchen to pantry crossing the fridge. It holds many things

Most RV store sell a couple of devices. One is a pin-lock for the Fridge door You drop or insert a pin it's locked.. Anotehr is a snap lock It "Improves" but may not elminate the problem.

On some cabintes I took a common hinge.. the kind with a removable pin.. (Actually they were not but I removed it anyway) I then dremmeled the mating parts so they go together easier (Shortened the "Knuckles") and insert a cotter pin when I drive. Those doors do NOT open. No matter what.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/20 04:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what you are describing it sounds like your seal has slightly compressed over the years. It sounds similar to my Norcold latch. Mine can be adjusted in or out. If you move the latch in it will put more spring in the plastic latch which makes it catch better. If your seal is compressed somewhat and a dollar bill slips out easily you can remove some plastic material from the base of the latch. I had to remove about .050 off the base of mine to get a tight seal. Also check to see if your return spring in the handle is in place and has not lost tension. When mine broke the door would shake open on ruff roads.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a simular issue but in my fiver, the pins in the door hinges have plastic bushings over them, when they wear down they allow movment of the door and the dometic plastic door catches cant handle the extra movment and let the door open. if it gets bad enough you will find your door right off and on the floor eventualy. its a simple fix to put new bushings on the pins and you can test it by opening your doors and lifting up and down on them and seeing if there is a bit of movment.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fridge/Freezer door opening while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.