cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Andersen hitch doesn't suit, any other recommendations?

Prior_Pete
Explorer
Explorer
Time to replace my old WD hitch. I'm towing an 8,500lb 36' trailer with about 1,100lb tongue weight. Any experience with Andersen No Sway hitches? It sounds like it might be just what I'm after. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: Seems I have too much tongue weight for Andersen to work well. Looking for recommendations.
11 REPLIES 11

Fstmvrerik
Explorer
Explorer
I am very happy with my Anderson hitch, I have the 3394 model that is rated at 16k trailer and 1600 tongue weight. I am pulling a 39' Outback and the loaded tongue weight is 1200 to 1300lbs, the trailer max weight capacity is 14k. My TV is an F350 srw with ride rite air bags installed.

My primary concern in towing a long trailer was sway control and the Anderson hitch does an excellent job with my current set up.

I chose the Anderson primarily for quick hitching and un-hitching and ease of adjusting weight transfer with changing trailer weights. The hitch is silent during travel and does not need to be removed for tight backing (as is required with some hitches). I was impressed by the anti-sway characteristics after driving in high Kansas winds on multiple occasions.

I will note that the Anderson may not be a good choice if you are relying on the weight transfer aspect of the hitch. I can get my front end near unloaded weight, but not at fully unloaded weight. This hitch will not take the place of a correctly sized tow vehicle.

If you have an over capable tow vehicle, and are looking for an easily adjustable and user friendly hitch that is quiet, the Anderson is a good option. It is not as inexpensive as some hitches mentioned here, but it checked off all of my requirements.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
All 3 will serve you well. I use the Equalizer
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been using a Reese Dual-Cam on and off for 15 years. Love it, wouldn't be without it.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I LOVE the Equal-I-Zer hitch. Towed a 36 foot 8300 lb travel trailer with it for 6 years without a single issue. Easy to use and does a great job handling weight and sway. Short of going Hensley I wouldn't go with anything else for my use.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any of the 3 you mentioned will do well, they're all available in appropriate weight ratings and pretty well regarded. The one thing I'll note is that the Equalizer head is not able to accommodate different weight bars so if there's a chance you'll downsize in the future keep that in mind (though honestly it's more of a consideration for those that are likely to move up in the future, I think a much smaller percentage of owners downsize significantly)
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Prior_Pete
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks folks, sounds like Andersen is out. Now I'll look for recommendations. Equalizer? Dual Cam? Blue Ox? Others? Oh ya, towing with 2020 Silverado, crew cab, 6'5" box & max trailering package.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The Anderson has its application for lighter trailers but would be a poor choice for your trailer imo
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what you're towing with. I used one for a short period of time before getting a 5th wheel. I used it with a 2500 Cummins and a 900-950 lb TW TT. Worked great because I didn't need to return much weight back to the front of the truck being that the Cummins is way heavier than a gas motor. Front hardly lifted when hitched.
I previously towed the same TT with an F150 and needed 1200 lb bars to restore the front of the truck.
My thinking is I could've never made the Andersen work with the F150 but it was great with the 2500 CTD since it didn't need to transfer as much weight and the truck wasn't softly sprung like a 1/2 ton is.

Like mentioned above it seemed when they 1st came out and there were lots of trials with them that the heavier the TW and the lighter duty the truck the harder it was to make the Andersen work.

On a good note, it's a really nice looking hitch. ๐Ÿ™‚

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I have 600# of tongue weight on an Andersen and wouldnโ€™t go much higher. 1000# probably too much.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
You are probably one of those people who do not get to use an Andersen hitch. Too much tongue weight for it to handle well. The hitch works very well for smaller trailers towed with adequate tow vehicles.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Some years back a good thread on the subject revealed that when going above 700 or so lbs of tongue weight the Andersen didnโ€™t have enough leverage to level the rig. I used one for a couple years with a 2700 lb (350 hitch wt) TT and liked it (but it sold with the TT).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point