cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Toy Hauler Toy Selection

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Recently got a toy hauler for reasons other than having a toy...but since we have the capability, considering if we want to get a toy.

We aren't into harleys and are too old and fat for dirt bikes or quads.

We could get a side by side but not sure we would use it enough to justify the hassles when not in an area with a lot of off road trails. It's a smaller toy hauler and the garage is also part of the living space, so it would have to get unloaded most stops.

Ideally, would like something that would be street legal so it could get more use but could do some modest trail riding (like forest roads, not heavy duty stuff like mud bogging or rock crawling).

So far the only thing we've come up with would be a motorcycle with sidecar (high ground clearance version).

Thoughts?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV
26 REPLIES 26

isy450
Explorer
Explorer
Golf Cart
2021 Heritage Classic

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
schlep1967 wrote:
Honda recently came out with theseTrail 125s. Small, good ground clearance and street legal.
Many used to haul the Trail 90's around on the back bumpers of trailers in the 70's.

That's the ticket for the best put put, on/off road, run to the store or run to the fishin hole machine right there!
If both folks are comfortable on bikes and talking fair weather only.

Wonder how popular those will become? Trail 90s still fetch a pretty penny as it is.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
Honda Cubs....scooters
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Flashman
Explorer
Explorer
I take 3 different toys. A 570 RZR, 2 e-mountain bikes and a powered kayak. They all fit in my 28IKS Genesis toy hauler.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honda recently came out with theseTrail 125s. Small, good ground clearance and street legal.
Many used to haul the Trail 90's around on the back bumpers of trailers in the 70's.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
the Roxor appears to be out of business.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But ultimately I’m with Dedmiston on this one. Unless a person is planning on being places that don’t allow street legal UTVs, a UTV/SXS is one of the most fun things one can do while keeping their pants on!
Combined with the fact that if they are basically just being “driven” around on roads and trails, the quality of them is such that they’ll last a LONG time. I’d hazard to guess the engines could easily be good for 30k or more “easy” miles. No different than a street bike.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agree on dual sports being great all around transportation and off road ability.
However seemed like OP was not really considering 2 wheelers.
You can’t license a Roxor as a true on road vehicle and I believe you’d have to add turn signals to “appear” compliant. But if one is into bending the rules, slap a set of license plates on it from, whatever, and a current tab and it won’t attract the attention of all but the most astute policemen, if any.
It’s governed to 55mph but that’s fixable, lol and can even get it with an auto trans albeit an expensive option.
Bottom line you’d be into it at least $20k, which is equivalent or less than a nice sXs but it could be stealth driven on the highway.
They’re super cool, but for my purposes, I’d buy or build a CJ 5 over a Roxor. One can buy a very nicely restored CJ5 for around $10k and be totally legal, but it’s a 3klb vehicle like the Roxor that would require a lot of garage weight capacity.
So maybe neither is a good option for the typical toy hauler?

dedmiston
I had to look up to see what a Roxor was. I've read enough of your posts to ask myself, "He isn't dumb enough to misspell RZR this badly, is he?" And no, you weren't. :B

We sure have a ton of fun with our SxS, but if the OP doesn't live somewhere with lots of trail access, then the SxS is a bad idea.

Dual sport (plated) bikes are a lot of fun and easy to load and unload.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Side by side or a Roxor.
Roxors aren’t totally street legal just like a sxs but you could slap a license plate on it and no one would give it a second glance.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Durb wrote:
Check out the FUV at arcimoto.com I saw a man trailering his at a campground, very interesting, made in Eugene, OR.

I've seen them before on the web...have they actually gone into production? That one would be doable for out little toy hauler.

Lots of these things out on the web but it seems like none of the viable enclosed models actually make it into production. (slingshot and spyder look fun but will be of limited use except in dry warm weather).

The one I saw was a production model (I presume) and he was scooting around the campground with it. He wanted to take it to Mt. St. Helens but it was one of those smoky days and decided not to. The owner did say it took a long time to receive his but blamed Covid in part. His had a golf bag carrier on his and said he had side windows at home. The carrier was just to get the bag to the course as it is too heavy to ride in on the course. My initial impression was that it was well built with a lot of content. I wondered at the time how a company could design, manufacture and sell such a product for $16k and stay in business. I'm guessing they are more now.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Durb wrote:
Check out the FUV at arcimoto.com I saw a man trailering his at a campground, very interesting, made in Eugene, OR.

I've seen them before on the web...have they actually gone into production? That one would be doable for out little toy hauler.

Lots of these things out on the web but it seems like none of the viable enclosed models actually make it into production. (slingshot and spyder look fun but will be of limited use except in dry warm weather).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Durb
Explorer
Explorer

Tinbangertom
Explorer
Explorer
Last year we purchased a trike, it's still in
florida wasn't expecting not to be able to get down there this winter and missed not having it this summer so we traded in our fifth wheel for our toy hauler, now we'll be able to enjoy both!!(trike is about 1000lbs)
:h Tom
:Z Laura
2020 Momentum 29G
2015 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax