Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brougham Dodge 1979 engine

Nerms
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I am looking at getting a Brougham 1979. I don't know much about it and am looking to become more educated on the make and model.

Does anyone know what the different models there are for a Brougham class C 1979 motor home?

I've searched the internet and could not find definitive information. Is there a good website for Brougham information?

The craigslist ad states that this RV has a Dodge engine - a 360 to be specific. Does that sound correct?

The owner says that the fuel pump needs to be replaced. What chassis does the RV have so that I can find the right fuel pump?

Thanks for any help, hints, or dialog.
what chassis it is.
6 REPLIES 6

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
I would be skeptical about the bad fuel pump. Rig may not be able to run, you can't road test it. An old $13K "bargain" rig cost us some 12K more in repairs to get it usable long ago before we knew what we were doing. Replacing roof AC units, water heaters, fridges, RV generators, converter chargers, fresh water pumps, and house batteries plus 6 correct type quality tires and brakes, awning and suspension can raise the cost of a "cheap" old tired shabby rig to where it exceeds cost of a much newer and overall better, safer, fully usable rig. You may not be able to buy discontinued 8.00 X 16.5 tires and need to replace wheels and use new radial tires. Water damage is very costly to have fixed.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not to sound harsh, but if you have to ask these questions, an antique vehicle the the "owner" cant get running with a $20 part, 20 minute fix (did you know that?) with a leaky box on the back full of other things that will be or are broken is not a wise purchase.
Unless you're homeless, then it should be about the cheapest rolling shelter you can buy short of a tent and a wheelbarrow and generally the 360/727 drivetrain is reliable, provided it's actually in good operational condition.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Very few 1979 motorhomes are worth buying. Not many make it to that age with owners who keep up with roof and window maintenance to prevent water leaks from rotting the body. If you are not knowledgeable about RVs, spending money on a qualified RV inspector may save you money and aggravation. Another issue with RVs that old is that while mechanical parts can still be found, it's unlikely a parts store will have them on the shelf, often necessitating several days wait until it can be shipped in.

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I strongly suggest it is a Dodge MB300 chassis. 360 engine with 2 bbl carb. I had several similar vintage class c campers.
PM if you want.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a long running thread on Dodge based Motorhomes,a post might get some good answers over there.

Dodge Based RV
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
An almost 42 year old motorhome will need a very careful inspection of the total RV. Be careful! And if you are not a mechanic or experienced RVer, get help.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad