Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM and Gearing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM and Gearing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get the 3.42 connected to the 6.6 gas - just need to buy the Express van.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

What will you will tow, how much will you use the truck without a load and where will you be going with a load?

I,m towing a 14000 lb fifth wheel, completely loaded is right at 13,200 the normal way we use it. also use it about 15,000 miles per year, about 10 to 12 trips. mostly one week trips here and there and one big 5 to 6 thousand mile trip somewhere across the US>

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What I have: 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500 hd 6.0 gas 4X4 4:10 extended cab with 6.6 bed. Previously was a 2010 GMC Sierra 2500 hd 6.0 gas 4X4 3:73 extended cab with 6.6 bed. Mileage seems to be a little worse with the newer truck. driving the typical route from Phx to Flag used to be about 6 1/2 MPG, now it is 6. I do have the extra umph when climbing but overall mileage is different. same trailer, loaded the same. other info needed?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no free lunch. The "extra umph" comes at the price of increased fuel consumption, lower mileage, worse fuel economy, however you want to say it.

The 4.10's make the engine rev higher at all times. Higher revs consume more fuel, but also produce more power when needed.

Sounds like 3.73 is the only option with the gas engine in 2021, so there's no question here.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 08:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When towing always go with the lower ratio (numerically higher) you will never regret it!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

There is no free lunch. The "extra umph" comes at the price of increased fuel consumption, lower mileage, worse fuel economy, however you want to say it.

The 4.10's make the engine rev higher at all times. Higher revs consume more fuel, but also produce more power when needed.

Sounds like 3.73 is the only option with the gas engine in 2021, so there's no question here.

No free lunch, towing any trailer that size/weight. A diesel would net better mileage, but costs more overall. The only gain to be had with the gasser, is to slow down. I know...some people don't have time to slow down, so need to pay for lunch!

Jerry

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 03:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

No free lunch, towing any trailer that size/weight. A diesel would net better mileage, but costs more overall. The only gain to be had with the gasser, is to slow down. I know...some people don't have time to slow down, so need to pay for lunch!

Jerry

Depends on it’s intended use. My V-10 Excursion cane with 3.73’s. 15 hwy and 6 towing and it sucked! Swapped to 4.30’s, my hey mileage dropped to 14.3 and towing mileage went up by almost 1 mpg to 6.8! Most off all the truck didn’t feel like it weighed 10k lbs, it could actually get out of its own way.

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess for me i would rather be in the middle somewhere, as stated earlier, i do tow about 8 to 10 thousand miles per year out of the 12 to 15 that we use the truck for. just thinking that I don't mind the chugging along on the hills a bit as we are not pulling hills all the time. that is about the biggest advantage i have seen with the 4:10 over the 3:73. well, to all, thanks and any other comments will be appreciated

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

MFL wrote:

mkirsch wrote:

Jerry

Depends on it’s intended use. My V-10 Excursion cane with 3.73’s. 15 hwy and 6 towing and it sucked! Swapped to 4.30’s, my hey mileage dropped to 14.3 and towing mileage went up by almost 1 mpg to 6.8! Most off all the truck didn’t feel like it weighed 10k lbs, it could actually get out of its own way.

I saw the same thing. I had a 2011 2500HD with a 6.0 that had 3.73s. I traded it in 2015 for a 3500 HD with 4.10s both SRW CC. My hwy mileage dropped about 1 mpg on the interstate, but towing was better, not only in mileage but in performance. Much better at starting a heavy load. It downshifted less loaded and unloaded. The 6.0 makes its power at higher RPMs, so 4.10s keep it up where it wants to be run at. There was a reason that they only gave you 4.10s toward the end of the 6.0 run. It just is a better HD truck with that gear ratio.

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 11:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:

I guess for me i would rather be in the middle somewhere, as stated earlier, i do tow about 8 to 10 thousand miles per year out of the 12 to 15 that we use the truck for. just thinking that I don't mind the chugging along on the hills a bit as we are not pulling hills all the time. that is about the biggest advantage i have seen with the 4:10 over the 3:73. well, to all, thanks and any other comments will be appreciated

So you have basically a new 2500HD with 4.10s. You tow a big trailer a lot of miles a year out west at altitude and big grades. You’re contemplating a few more hp, same number of gears and then saddling it with horrible gears for towing (which they don’t make so you’d have to change gear sets in a brand new truck), all for worse performance and worse mileage than you already have??

My comment is you’re not going to do appreciably better with ANY new gasser for your use and your propose plan is actually worse than your current vehicle.
You are solidly in the realm of making good use of a diesel. Or at a minimum get a new Ford or Ram with a better trans, more power and deeper gears.

I’m actually curious where your head is at. Think you’re going to save $ on gas for the few miles a year you drive bobtail, or just don’t understand the concept of gearing?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GM and Gearing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.