Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: GM and Gearing
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM and Gearing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/15/20 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve pulled low profile trailers the same weight or less with same trucks as your current rig and even at low altitude they are turds pulling any decent grade.
I wouldn’t subject myself to the abuse and frustration with my personal rig provided I had the financial means to have enough power to pull a trailer with authority rather than wringing the truck out for all it’s worth.


"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

jffnkrn

peoria

Senior Member

Joined: 10/15/2010

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 10/18/20 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

jffnkrn wrote:

I guess for me i would rather be in the middle somewhere, as stated earlier, i do tow about 8 to 10 thousand miles per year out of the 12 to 15 that we use the truck for. just thinking that I don't mind the chugging along on the hills a bit as we are not pulling hills all the time. that is about the biggest advantage i have seen with the 4:10 over the 3:73. well, to all, thanks and any other comments will be appreciated


So you have basically a new 2500HD with 4.10s. You tow a big trailer a lot of miles a year out west at altitude and big grades. You’re contemplating a few more hp, same number of gears and then saddling it with horrible gears for towing (which they don’t make so you’d have to change gear sets in a brand new truck), all for worse performance and worse mileage than you already have??

My comment is you’re not going to do appreciably better with ANY new gasser for your use and your propose plan is actually worse than your current vehicle.
You are solidly in the realm of making good use of a diesel. Or at a minimum get a new Ford or Ram with a better trans, more power and deeper gears.

I’m actually curious where your head is at. Think you’re going to save $ on gas for the few miles a year you drive bobtail, or just don’t understand the concept of gearing?


Well, I guess I asked for it! my head is on my shoulders and not where some may think. No I am not Gear Savvy, so that is why I asked the question(s). I appreciated the knowledge and the input, I can afford the extra few dollars for gas, I am not a diesel person and so there ya have it. Thanks again for the input. I will do some further research before I buy the next truck. I am looking forward to it. Have a great rest of your day!!! Thanks again.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 04/08/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/18/20 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

jffnkrn wrote:

I guess for me i would rather be in the middle somewhere, as stated earlier, i do tow about 8 to 10 thousand miles per year out of the 12 to 15 that we use the truck for. just thinking that I don't mind the chugging along on the hills a bit as we are not pulling hills all the time. that is about the biggest advantage i have seen with the 4:10 over the 3:73. well, to all, thanks and any other comments will be appreciated


So you have basically a new 2500HD with 4.10s. You tow a big trailer a lot of miles a year out west at altitude and big grades. You’re contemplating a few more hp, same number of gears and then saddling it with horrible gears for towing (which they don’t make so you’d have to change gear sets in a brand new truck), all for worse performance and worse mileage than you already have??

My comment is you’re not going to do appreciably better with ANY new gasser for your use and your propose plan is actually worse than your current vehicle.
You are solidly in the realm of making good use of a diesel. Or at a minimum get a new Ford or Ram with a better trans, more power and deeper gears.

I’m actually curious where your head is at. Think you’re going to save $ on gas for the few miles a year you drive bobtail, or just don’t understand the concept of gearing?


Well, I guess I asked for it! my head is on my shoulders and not where some may think. No I am not Gear Savvy, so that is why I asked the question(s). I appreciated the knowledge and the input, I can afford the extra few dollars for gas, I am not a diesel person and so there ya have it. Thanks again for the input. I will do some further research before I buy the next truck. I am looking forward to it. Have a great rest of your day!!! Thanks again.
What makes one a "Diesel person"?

My wife and her side of the family once thought that they would never drive diesels.... Over the years as diesels changed, they became converts.

Perhaps you should reconsider with an open mind.

You presently are at the upper limits of what gas motors can do.

A diesel is the only option to get appreciably better performance. IOW, it really isn't worth spending the money for a new gas powered truck, hoping/expecting better performance or fuel economy.... Now if you just want a new truck for the smell etc... That is a different story.



Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
Full Body Paint, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
540 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.



Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 01:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:



Well, I guess I asked for it! my head is on my shoulders and not where some may think. No I am not Gear Savvy, so that is why I asked the question(s). I appreciated the knowledge and the input, I can afford the extra few dollars for gas, I am not a diesel person and so there ya have it. Thanks again for the input. I will do some further research before I buy the next truck. I am looking forward to it. Have a great rest of your day!!! Thanks again.


Now that understanding final drive ratios is under your belt, in that what you need to know is that pulling the weight you’re pulling with a gas pickup, the deeper the gears the better.
Also the more hp and more trans gears the better.
Understand, if you don’t want the cost or complication of a diesel. Whether real or perceived, there are differences.
2 things.
1. You appear to be “ok” pulling what you’re pulling with your current truck, which I’m quite familiar with it’s performance. And it’ll get your trailer up a hill, as you know.
2. You also appear to have the means to get whatever vehicle you wish to, and whether or not you think so, if you experienced a better towing experience, I’ll bet you’d like it.

That’s where the diesel recommendation comes in. However if you don’t want one, it’s your $.
Like you said, you can spend extra $ on gasoline, so sure as heck don’t skimp on the gasser you get.
GM is suckin hind teat right now. And the new 6.6 doesn’t match up to the competition... yet, with only a 6 speed imo.
At a min, I’d be looking at a 6.4 Ram. 4.10s and the 8HP trans is proven and a great performer.
But the best gasser numbers are coming out of the new 7.3 Ford. 10 speeds and I believe you can get 4.30 gears.
Very noticeable improvement over your current rig.

Good luck in your search!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 01:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Or you could bolt 150hp to your current truck. Pump gas supercharger.
Blow away all the new gassers for less $ than a new truck!

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a diesel person. And I had a TT that some would never tow with a gas motor. I like not having to worry if my truck will make it to the destination. Don't need to be stuck on the side of the road.
I'll take a gasser and a few less MPG's knowing I'll make it without issues.

And yes, BTW, I'm a diesel tech. The only time I'll have a diesel is when we buy a DP.


Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!


Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

I am not a diesel person. And I had a TT that some would never tow with a gas motor. I like not having to worry if my truck will make it to the destination. Don't need to be stuck on the side of the road.
I'll take a gasser and a few less MPG's knowing I'll make it without issues.

And yes, BTW, I'm a diesel tech. The only time I'll have a diesel is when we buy a DP.


Then you’re either a paranoid or covering up for your lack of budget with statements like the above.
Btw you don’t seem old enough to be this dramatic like the old farts here on geezernet......[emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/19/20 03:01pm by Grit dog *

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

Senior Member

Joined: 03/23/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I am not a diesel person. And I had a TT that some would never tow with a gas motor. I like not having to worry if my truck will make it to the destination. Don't need to be stuck on the side of the road.
I'll take a gasser and a few less MPG's knowing I'll make it without issues.

And yes, BTW, I'm a diesel tech. The only time I'll have a diesel is when we buy a DP.


Then you’re either a paranoid or covering up for your lack of budget with statements like the above.
Btw you don’t seem old enough to be this dramatic like the old farts here on geezernet......


I could’ve bought a diesel when I bought my X, but I came across a good deal on my V-10. Glad I never got stuck with a 6.0. No one else made a diesel SUV at the time. And with some of the issues I have seen with all the newer diesels with Def....again, no thanks. It’s choice made upon facts! Even when the tome comes for a DP I would like one without DEF, but buy then all the used ones I’ll be looking at will have DEF. So I won’t have much of a choice.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

I am not a diesel person. And I had a TT that some would never tow with a gas motor. I like not having to worry if my truck will make it to the destination. Don't need to be stuck on the side of the road.
I'll take a gasser and a few less MPG's knowing I'll make it without issues.

And yes, BTW, I'm a diesel tech. The only time I'll have a diesel is when we buy a DP.


Then you’re either a paranoid or covering up for your lack of budget with statements like the above.
Btw you don’t seem old enough to be this dramatic like the old farts here on geezernet......


Jeez-us Grit...where did your sense of humor go? You are getting a bit cranky, as you approach retirement age. Hard to believe, I've been enjoying your posts since 2013 when you were just 53???[emoticon]

Jerry





Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/20 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:



Jeez-us Grit...where did your sense of humor go? You are getting a bit cranky, as you approach retirement age. Hard to believe, I've been enjoying your posts since 2013 when you were just 53???[emoticon]

Jerry


[emoticon] LOL!
Approaching retirement age? ROFLMAO. That is a wish but not sure of the reality! You're a funny guy on the age comment though. I will be 53 in a half dozen years.
Sense of humor is alive and well. But that post wasn't tongue in cheek. That was merely in response to dg's overtly pessimistic take on diesels. (And then to bring up the 6.0no as a justification for his opinion, while admitting to be a diesel tech...ROFLMAO again!)

Hey dg....2008 called and they want their diesels back!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > GM and Gearing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.