Did you mean:ย 

Ford 6L diesel in the news again

BenK
Explorer
Explorer

Appeals court: Ford committed fraud by selling defective Super Duty trucks

Why I've never liked class action...let's the OEM dodge the bigger bullet
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...
53 REPLIES 53

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I always found it interesting that some would run without being "Bulletproofed" and others, totally stock couldn't stay out of the shop. No apparent differences, just that some worked and some don't and never did. It's handling was a huge fail by FORD and did more for Dodge/Ram and GM in selling their trucks than they ever did on their own. Yet many of those who were bitten hard by their 6.0 bought 6.4's hoping their luck would change only to be bitten again (some say worse)than they were with the 6.0. You have to appreciate how powerful the Ford truck name is to its buyers. After all of this, they still sell more diesel pickups than does the other two. FCA and GM would love to have that level of product loyalty.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
A lot of people still don't understand the importance of customer service or why Tesla developed a near fanatical following. My son had an issue with his Tesla and scheduled an appointment online to have it looked at. Thirty minutes later he got a notification that it has been fixed and there was no need to bring the car in. I have a software issue with my 2016 Ford and it seems that neither my dealer or Ford care. Either that or they just don't have any power to do anything about it. It used to be that you could appeal to a factory rep for help with problems but my dealer tells me that those are long gone.

Ford makes a good product most of the time but just making it isn't enough and never has been. They need to ensure that the customer enjoys the ownership experience too.

And you get to pay 200% more for a comparable car with a Tesla. Iโ€™d hope the service is better. This is like bragging about how much better the steak is at the Chop House vs the Sizzler....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"This is the outside edge of the drivers seat at 315,000 miles. I did have the side panel replaced at about 300,000 miles, but the seat surface is original."

My Son has my 98 12V with well over 400k and the interior still looks great (same material as yours) and the dash is not even cracked!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
My brother-in-law has a tuned 2005 6.0L, but his is bulletproofed putting out about 400hp at the wheels.

he must have done a lot more work than just tuning then, 400 hp at the engine was the point where they would stat blowing head gaskets because of the week head studs. I have a few of my friends who have hopped up 6L but they have done a lot of work to make sure they dont have issues.

Steve

Hence the reason why I said it was bulletproofed which included headstands among many other things.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of people still don't understand the importance of customer service or why Tesla developed a near fanatical following. My son had an issue with his Tesla and scheduled an appointment online to have it looked at. Thirty minutes later he got a notification that it has been fixed and there was no need to bring the car in. I have a software issue with my 2016 Ford and it seems that neither my dealer or Ford care. Either that or they just don't have any power to do anything about it. It used to be that you could appeal to a factory rep for help with problems but my dealer tells me that those are long gone.

Ford makes a good product most of the time but just making it isn't enough and never has been. They need to ensure that the customer enjoys the ownership experience too.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I am also driving a Chevy as a direct result of the 6.0 debacle.
Prior to my last 2 trucks I was a Ford guy, until I refused to become a part of the 6.0 PSD mess and changed brands.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
The reality is that there is no "bulletproofing" a 6.0L diesel. They had some major inherent design flaws with the worst one being not enough head bolts per cylinder. Even with studs, they are known for blowing head gaskets.

Spin it as you will, but the 6.0L was and still is a POS that I'm sure Ford regrets ever selling. As many have stated, my biggest issue was not that the engine was a POS, but how Ford refused to make things right and continued to sell it for several years in many cases to loyal unsuspecting customers. Strangely enough in 2013/2014 when I was shopping for a new truck I considered the Ford 6.7L until I looked under the hood of a couple at my work and the HPFP issues were starting to rise about then. That was enough for this die hard Ford guy (3 Fords over the course of 15 years) and I moved on to another brand.

Well the 6.0 was the reason this 42 year Ford/Mercury loyal person switched to a Dodge in 2010. I was looking used at the time, bought a 2001 Dodge/Ram 2500 CTD with 234,000 miles on it. I sold it in 2019 with 315,000 miles and still running strong. I replaced it with a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW HO CTD with Aisin.

This is the outside edge of the drivers seat at 315,000 miles. I did have the side panel replaced at about 300,000 miles, but the seat surface is original.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
The reality is that there is no "bulletproofing" a 6.0L diesel. They had some major inherent design flaws with the worst one being not enough head bolts per cylinder. Even with studs, they are known for blowing head gaskets.

Spin it as you will, but the 6.0L was and still is a POS that I'm sure Ford regrets ever selling. As many have stated, my biggest issue was not that the engine was a POS, but how Ford refused to make things right and continued to sell it for several years in many cases to loyal unsuspecting customers. Strangely enough in 2013/2014 when I was shopping for a new truck I considered the Ford 6.7L until I looked under the hood of a couple at my work and the HPFP issues were starting to rise about then. That was enough for this die hard Ford guy (3 Fords over the course of 15 years) and I moved on to another brand.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
My brother-in-law has a tuned 2005 6.0L, but his is bulletproofed putting out about 400hp at the wheels.

he must have done a lot more work than just tuning then, 400 hp at the engine was the point where they would stat blowing head gaskets because of the week head studs. I have a few of my friends who have hopped up 6L but they have done a lot of work to make sure they dont have issues.

Steve

He stated that the engine was bulletproofed.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
ShinerBock wrote:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^LOL.
Was hanging out with the guy and he talked about how โ€œwellโ€ it towed and how most of the time he could keep er at only 4000rpms, lol. Only had to kick down to 5k on the hills!
Changed his tune a little on the fuel...
Someone asked him bout fuel he said โ€œdid great. Got 11mpg! Only used 5 tanks of gasโ€. (It was a little over 500 miles. He actually got about 5mpg....)

This same guy asked me what the Dodge diesel got for mileage when we were running to Canada a bunch last year. Told him 17 ish. 18 on a good day.
He was like โ€œthought those got better mileage. I get 20 in the tundra. (On 38s then).โ€
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ Ya Shiner, but โ€œyourโ€ story isnโ€™t near as dramatic and flashy.....
I love just listening to people talk who donโ€™t know a muffler bearing from blinker fluid!

Just last night at sons hockey practice, one of the dads is braggin up his new 38โ€™ TT that he bought last week.
Basically he got one upped by another dad who bought a peenis enlarging 5ver and towed it to the last tourney and โ€œsaved moneyโ€ by not staying in the hotel (for one night, 700 mile round trip...lol). But I digress...
Dad with the new TT, he and the other dude are โ€œcampingโ€ this weekends tournament in Boise, cause a $48 RV spot is cheaper than the hotel.... He11 I ran the numbers and it was break even driving the TC over there compared to 3 nights hotel and taking the SRT. Plus with the car I can get to Boise in about 2 hours quicker.
Asked him how it tows (his tow rig is a tundra with about a 8โ€ lift and brodozer wheels, biguns like 37 15.50s or something). He said โ€œgreat, towed like a dream, still got 15 mpg too.โ€
Iโ€™d love to follow him up Vantage hill and see what he considers a dream!
Heโ€™s a dumb arse btw. Nice guy but...wears bedazzled Western jeans and heโ€™s a city slicker.

And cross the river with the wind ................

15 mpg pulling that trailer with a lifted Tundra? Wow, that truck would be lucky to see 15 mpg empty, but if it makes him feel better...
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
When I bought my X in 06 I really wanted the 6.0. But I came across A very clean low mile V-10. Glad I did. This was before all the problems of the 6.0 were evident. The V-10 never left me stranded and made it up the mountains just as easily as the diesel did. Iโ€™ll take a few less mpg over being stuck in the middle of no where!

Well, two things for certain....The 6.0 debate/discussion/flogging will never be over....2nd, no gasser ever went up and over a hill as easy as the current breed of Diesel or even the days the 6.0 was marketed. May have gone up the same hill, same speed, but much higher RPM....not as easy. Easy is 1800 RPM.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
Lantley wrote:
blofgren wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
When I bought my X in 06 I really wanted the 6.0. But I came across A very clean low mile V-10. Glad I did. This was before all the problems of the 6.0 were evident. The V-10 never left me stranded and made it up the mountains just as easily as the diesel did. Iโ€™ll take a few less mpg over being stuck in the middle of no where!

Yep, the V10 is a bulletproof workhorse! ๐Ÿ™‚

The V10 is a great motor and a workhorse.
Unfortunately it's not a diesel.

Iโ€™ll correct that for you. Fortunately, it not a diesel!

That's Funny I never thought of it that way!

I will correct one more time, Not a Navastar 6.0 diesel!