Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Ford 6L diesel in the news again
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6L diesel in the news again

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 12:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

Lantley wrote:

blofgren wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

When I bought my X in 06 I really wanted the 6.0. But I came across A very clean low mile V-10. Glad I did. This was before all the problems of the 6.0 were evident. The V-10 never left me stranded and made it up the mountains just as easily as the diesel did. I’ll take a few less mpg over being stuck in the middle of no where!

Yep, the V10 is a bulletproof workhorse! [emoticon]

The V10 is a great motor and a workhorse.
Unfortunately it's not a diesel.

I’ll correct that for you. Fortunately, it not a diesel!

That's Funny I never thought of it that way!

I will correct one more time, Not a Navastar 6.0 diesel!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Vintage465

Prunedale CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

When I bought my X in 06 I really wanted the 6.0. But I came across A very clean low mile V-10. Glad I did. This was before all the problems of the 6.0 were evident. The V-10 never left me stranded and made it up the mountains just as easily as the diesel did. I’ll take a few less mpg over being stuck in the middle of no where!

Well, two things for certain....The 6.0 debate/discussion/flogging will never be over....2nd, no gasser ever went up and over a hill as easy as the current breed of Diesel or even the days the 6.0 was marketed. May have gone up the same hill, same speed, but much higher RPM....not as easy. Easy is 1800 RPM.

V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retiring in 2021, then look-out road, here we come!

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

^ Ya Shiner, but “your” story isn’t near as dramatic and flashy.....
I love just listening to people talk who don’t know a muffler bearing from blinker fluid!

Just last night at sons hockey practice, one of the dads is braggin up his new 38’ TT that he bought last week.
Basically he got one upped by another dad who bought a peenis enlarging 5ver and towed it to the last tourney and “saved money” by not staying in the hotel (for one night, 700 mile round trip...lol). But I digress...
Dad with the new TT, he and the other dude are “camping” this weekends tournament in Boise, cause a $48 RV spot is cheaper than the hotel.... He11 I ran the numbers and it was break even driving the TC over there compared to 3 nights hotel and taking the SRT. Plus with the car I can get to Boise in about 2 hours quicker.
Asked him how it tows (his tow rig is a tundra with about a 8” lift and brodozer wheels, biguns like 37 15.50s or something). He said “great, towed like a dream, still got 15 mpg too.”
I’d love to follow him up Vantage hill and see what he considers a dream!
He’s a dumb arse btw. Nice guy but...wears bedazzled Western jeans and he’s a city slicker.

And cross the river with the wind ................
[image]

15 mpg pulling that trailer with a lifted Tundra? Wow, that truck would be lucky to see 15 mpg empty, but if it makes him feel better...

2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^LOL.
Was hanging out with the guy and he talked about how “well” it towed and how most of the time he could keep er at only 4000rpms, lol. Only had to kick down to 5k on the hills!
Changed his tune a little on the fuel...
Someone asked him bout fuel he said “did great. Got 11mpg! Only used 5 tanks of gas”. (It was a little over 500 miles. He actually got about 5mpg....)

This same guy asked me what the Dodge diesel got for mileage when we were running to Canada a bunch last year. Told him 17 ish. 18 on a good day.
He was like “thought those got better mileage. I get 20 in the tundra. (On 38s then).”

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

My brother-in-law has a tuned 2005 6.0L, but his is bulletproofed putting out about 400hp at the wheels.

he must have done a lot more work than just tuning then, 400 hp at the engine was the point where they would stat blowing head gaskets because of the week head studs. I have a few of my friends who have hopped up 6L but they have done a lot of work to make sure they dont have issues.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/20 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

My brother-in-law has a tuned 2005 6.0L, but his is bulletproofed putting out about 400hp at the wheels.

he must have done a lot more work than just tuning then, 400 hp at the engine was the point where they would stat blowing head gaskets because of the week head studs. I have a few of my friends who have hopped up 6L but they have done a lot of work to make sure they dont have issues.

Steve

He stated that the engine was bulletproofed.

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reality is that there is no "bulletproofing" a 6.0L diesel. They had some major inherent design flaws with the worst one being not enough head bolts per cylinder. Even with studs, they are known for blowing head gaskets.

Spin it as you will, but the 6.0L was and still is a POS that I'm sure Ford regrets ever selling. As many have stated, my biggest issue was not that the engine was a POS, but how Ford refused to make things right and continued to sell it for several years in many cases to loyal unsuspecting customers. Strangely enough in 2013/2014 when I was shopping for a new truck I considered the Ford 6.7L until I looked under the hood of a couple at my work and the HPFP issues were starting to rise about then. That was enough for this die hard Ford guy (3 Fords over the course of 15 years) and I moved on to another brand.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

The reality is that there is no "bulletproofing" a 6.0L diesel. They had some major inherent design flaws with the worst one being not enough head bolts per cylinder. Even with studs, they are known for blowing head gaskets.

Spin it as you will, but the 6.0L was and still is a POS that I'm sure Ford regrets ever selling. As many have stated, my biggest issue was not that the engine was a POS, but how Ford refused to make things right and continued to sell it for several years in many cases to loyal unsuspecting customers. Strangely enough in 2013/2014 when I was shopping for a new truck I considered the Ford 6.7L until I looked under the hood of a couple at my work and the HPFP issues were starting to rise about then. That was enough for this die hard Ford guy (3 Fords over the course of 15 years) and I moved on to another brand.

Well the 6.0 was the reason this 42 year Ford/Mercury loyal person switched to a Dodge in 2010. I was looking used at the time, bought a 2001 Dodge/Ram 2500 CTD with 234,000 miles on it. I sold it in 2019 with 315,000 miles and still running strong. I replaced it with a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW HO CTD with Aisin.

This is the outside edge of the drivers seat at 315,000 miles. I did have the side panel replaced at about 300,000 miles, but the seat surface is original.

[image]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 05:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am also driving a Chevy as a direct result of the 6.0 debacle.
Prior to my last 2 trucks I was a Ford guy, until I refused to become a part of the 6.0 PSD mess and changed brands.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of people still don't understand the importance of customer service or why Tesla developed a near fanatical following. My son had an issue with his Tesla and scheduled an appointment online to have it looked at. Thirty minutes later he got a notification that it has been fixed and there was no need to bring the car in. I have a software issue with my 2016 Ford and it seems that neither my dealer or Ford care. Either that or they just don't have any power to do anything about it. It used to be that you could appeal to a factory rep for help with problems but my dealer tells me that those are long gone.

Ford makes a good product most of the time but just making it isn't enough and never has been. They need to ensure that the customer enjoys the ownership experience too.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford 6L diesel in the news again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.