Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Cell phone signal Booster ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell phone signal Booster ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 from Amazon

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes it's also the provider coverage. North of the border we have 2 main carriers with a number of spin offs riding coat tails. I can use my we boost with my cell phone on my company provider, make calls and text while others with the other carriers get nothing even using my booster. If I take my chip and put it in my sons phone, it will get the signal but can't use it, doesn't recognize his number or plan.

Housted

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X4 on the WeBoost.
We just returned from a trip SoCal to Montana and back.
First long trip with the booster....it really helped in marginal areas,
but one stop in rural Idaho there was NO signal at all, so the booster cannot make a signal. It only boosts what it sees.
It was recomended by a friend and it worked as advetised for us.[emoticon]

YMMV

Housted

2015 Dodge 3500 Laramie 6.7 CTD Tow Rig Integrated ball with Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch
2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 5th - 4 Pt Leveling, Disk Brakes, 1050 W Solar,
300 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter
  • pic
    Too many mods to Truck and trailer to list.

• pinesman

virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a WEBoost house unit on my home which does a great job but when I needed something for my shop, I decided to gamble on one of the boosters on ebay for 10% of a WEBoost price. I found it to work very well also but you do need to choose the correct band for your carrier

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

Well I don’t have an instrument, but if you have good signal, but response is slow, that is lack of band with. It is basically too many users for the cell towers available band width.
    We just came from a situation like that in the Columbia Gorge. Decent signal strength, but constantly timing out, had to use either early in the morning or late in the evening.

First, OP mentions very little signal, that is not a "bandwidth" problem.

Second, speed of Internet is highly dependent on SIGNAL STRENGTH.

Both cellphones and Wifi do something called "auto negotiation" for speed. The connection speed varies with the SIGNAL STRENGTH, less signal and the SLOWER the connection goes, more signal strength and the faster your connection goes.

To get the max speed you NEED the max amount of SIGNAL you can get.

One or Two bars of signal basically brings your Internet to a crawl or even dead stop.

Op is trying to find the best Cell signal booster to help stabilize their Internet speed. It may or may not help, just depends on a lot of factors like terrain, what is between them and cell tower. Cellphones work on "line of sight" signal propagation, a hill, building, trees in between can easily block the signals.

Most boosters will use an outdoor antenna which you need to place high enough to capture the most signal as possible.. Then there will be an indoor antenna which the cellphone will use.. Then you have the booster in between the antennas.. Certain amount of distance needs to be in between the booster antennas. Boosters are not a fix all type of thing, they also amplify any RF noise that may be around you also swamping the cell signal you are trying to boost.

This is much different from a "bandwidth" problem where there is too many people trying to use the same service from the same cell tower.

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all your comments, this has been educational for me. I’m glad to hear that for the most part a booster is helping. I understand that if there’s no signal I won’t get anything but it’s encouraging to know that at least in some of the places I go it will help.

Lenny

Taxman2436
    Holden,MA
    2019 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
    2021 Salem Hemisphere

Etstorm

Frankston,TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like what has been said, if there is no service a booster will not help.

I have been using Fusion2Go with pretty good success.

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazon warehouse is a great way to get these

Winnebago Access 24V

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Well I don’t have an instrument, but if you have good signal, but response is slow, that is lack of band with. It is basically too many users for the cell towers available band width.
    We just came from a situation like that in the Columbia Gorge. Decent signal strength, but constantly timing out, had to use either early in the morning or late in the evening.

Both cellphones and Wifi do something called "auto negotiation" for speed. The connection speed varies with the SIGNAL STRENGTH, less signal and the SLOWER the connection goes, more signal strength and the faster your connection goes.

One or Two bars of signal basically brings your Internet to a crawl or even dead stop.

Op is trying to find the best Cell signal booster to help stabilize their Internet speed. It may or may not help, just depends on a lot of factors like terrain, what is between them and cell tower. Cellphones work on "line of sight" signal propagation, a hill, building, trees in between can easily block the signals.

Most boosters will use an outdoor antenna which you need to place high enough to capture the most signal as possible.. Then there will be an indoor antenna which the cellphone will use.. Then you have the booster in between the antennas.. Certain amount of distance needs to be in between the booster antennas. Boosters are not a fix all type of thing, they also amplify any RF noise that may be around you also swamping the cell signal you are trying to boost.

This is much different from a "bandwidth" problem where there is too many people trying to use the same service from the same cell tower.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

I totally understand the difference between signal strength and bandwidth.
    I also have a WeBoost system in our trailer, and it will increase signal strength, but can’t improve bandwidth.
    I can get great response time on two bars of signal, or timeouts with four bars due to lack of bandwidth for the particular cell tower and too many users on the tower.
    I worked to a major athletic shoe company. If we had issues getting a high speed terrestrial connection installed in time we would use a cellular router to bring the store up and/or operate it on. One store in particular I could not get enough bandwidth during the day to get the computers loaded. I at the end of the second day came back at 10 pm and was able to load multiple systems at the same time, because fewer users meant more available bandwidth.
    You can improve cell signal, but you can’t improve bandwidth that is controlled by the carriers.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
    2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
    2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
    Page of 3  
    Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell phone signal Booster ?
    Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
    Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.