Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Cell phone signal Booster ?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell phone signal Booster ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

I totally understand the difference between signal strength and bandwidth.
I also have a WeBoost system in our trailer, and it will increase signal strength, but can’t improve bandwidth.
I can get great response time on two bars of signal, or timeouts with four bars due to lack of bandwidth for the particular cell tower and too many users on the tower.
I worked to a major athletic shoe company. If we had issues getting a high speed terrestrial connection installed in time we would use a cellular router to bring the store up and/or operate it on. One store in particular I could not get enough bandwidth during the day to get the computers loaded. I at the end of the second day came back at 10 pm and was able to load multiple systems at the same time, because fewer users meant more available bandwidth.
You can improve cell signal, but you can’t improve bandwidth that is controlled by the carriers.

You are mixing two different issues and calling it a bandwidth problem.

There is no way of you knowing how many "users" there are using the same cell tower service, period.

So in reality absolutely no way you can say without a doubt that you were experiencing not enough bandwidth.

However, what you were experiencing was just not enough signal to work correctly..

This is a problem when you are in a marginal signal area and as I mentioned, using an external booster MAY OR MAY NOT fix said problem even if it gets you a couple of more bars worth of signal.

The reason for this is the booster has to pickup that weak signal which may contain considerable amount of RF noise (RFI Radio Frequency Interference). That booster will AMPLIFY not only the weak cell signal but ALL of the RFI it sees on the input!

To make matters worse, the amplifier ADDS its' own INTERNAL GENERATED RF NOISE to the output. You MUST have enough signal over the noise level (S/N) in order to get a decent Internet speed.

As they say, GARBAGE IN, LOUDER (AMPLIFIED) GARBAGE OUT.

You have to have decent enough signal (with low background noise) to start with, 1 or 2 bars are not really decent for stable Internet use as you have found out, but don't call it not enough bandwidth (IE over crowded).

That in a nutshell is what you have run into, not over congested cell tower with not enough bandwidth.

The cellphone systems have ways to reroute users as long as there are a couple of towers near the users the system will switch between towers automatically and seamlessly. User is never aware of these handoffs.

Heck at my home, I am lucky to get 1 or 2 bars of signal on a sunshiny day using my cell for Internet it just barely works.. Add in rain or snow and the Internet no longer works for me even though the phone still makes and gets calls and still have 1 or 2 bars of signal. I can tell you that there is no way that the cell towers near me are "congested", very rural location, the population in the Borough 2 miles from me is about 1,000 and that is spread out over about .5 square miles. That is where the closest cell tower to me is.

If a cell tower cannot handle 1,000 people then the entire cell system is a total flop which is not true.

In reality, cell towers have multiple "channels", each channel handles multiple cell connections, weak signals to the tower may get moved to different channels as needed to get better S/N, channels can get reused (simultaneous use), how things get determined is how strong the tower receives your signal and the quality of the signal (S/N). Someone else connects and has much stronger signal or better S/N, your connection may get bumped to a different channel or lost.. At the same time the speed of your phone connection goes up or down with the strength of the cell tower signal over the noise level.

Boosters may or may not help, it is a toss up.

Digital RF transmission is finicky and fickle..

I would suggest reading up on how cellphones really work before calling a congestion problem..

Found a good "primer" on cellphone theory..

HERE that you might find enlightening.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my hotspots, I've been getting better performance from a MiMo configured pair of Yagi antennas than I got from a high end cell booster/repeater. I mounted them on top of my batwing OTA antenna for easy directional aiming. An 8-10 dB RSRP improvement is pretty typical so far.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/20 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 2 different types of boosters, and don't confuse them.

*something that will pick up a wifi signal such as from a campground or other public wifi, and boost it so you have a stronger wifi signal. This will not help speed if the bandwidth is overloaded. They are often called range extenders or repeaters.

*something (like a Weboost or other brand) that will boost a signal from a cell phone tower, so that you have better cell phone signal, and can talk without breaking up.

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/20 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So now I am looking at the Weboost RV 65. Is that what you folks are using or do you have another recommendation?

-Lenny

Taxman2436
Holden,MA
2019 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
2021 Salem Hemisphere

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/23/20 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really like the 65 for getting a directional antenna way up in the air and aiming it right at a cell tower.

Here's Weboost's latest RV booster.... but it's your choice.

Weboost Drive Reach

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/23/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taxman2436 wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

Was there sufficient bandwidth? Other campers also trying also trying to use their phones for pictures, posts, talking, texting, surfing, streaming etc.?

Not sure how I can measure that. I was using my cell service through the phone and not campground wifi.

Lenny
Here's a tool I like: Speedtest.net I use a Weboost, and it has been a game changer. I used to try to pick up local stations with an OTA TV antenna. Now we can usually find enough signal to stream from our Tablo or Plex server via the cell phone. As someone else posted, if there isn't enough bandwidth, you can't manufacture it, but a signal booster often will let you take advantage of what signal there is.

DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/20 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

I really like the 65 for getting a directional antenna way up in the air and aiming it right at a cell tower.

Here's Weboost's latest RV booster.... but it's your choice.

Weboost Drive Reach

Thanks for that. Looking at the reviews some people found that the mounting brackets for the Pole didn’t work so well, have you had that problem?

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the WeBoost Drive Reach as shown in the video, plus a yagi antenna (Amazon) that I use on my own fiberglass painters pole (Lowe's).

George441

Mobile, US

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/20 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are using Weboost home multiroom signal booster.
You may try.

Save a Tree - Save The Environment - Save Your Life
============================================

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Cell phone signal Booster ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.