Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: How many Canadian Snowbirds are there?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> How many Canadian Snowbirds are there?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd be interested in hearing what the reservations are looking like.

I'm betting 70-90% of Canadian snowbirds will stay home and probably 20-50% of US snowbirds...but so far haven't been able to find anything.

It would seem like a survey of the popular snowbird parks would be able to generate a good estimate pretty quickly.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those with houses, condos or RV’s that are down there will have the option to just fly down there and just rent a car if they need one. We know lots of people in that situation that could technically do that. Most we have talked to are still not going due to the high mortality rate of the virus in the US. Many are waiting till the new year to reassess.

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

...we were bringing our RV down to Florida (in 6 weeks), and renting the condo we normally rent (for the past 7 years). So, condo and RV. Pretty sweet... I checked the reservations 2 days ago that we vacated....and they were completely booked solid again, probably by US snowbirds.
We do the same and rent a cottage on a small oceanfront tract. Moving to a "better" cottage location is seniority-based. This year we are one of the two oceanfronts for 3 weeks of our 6 week stay then we move to second back so some Canadians can have their regular spot in the oceanfront. Last winter their kids made them go home a few days after they arrived. This year if they don't show we get to stay in the oceanfront the whole time.

The manager, who happens to be Canadian, is "calling Covid rules", so if the Canadians don't come this year they still have dibs on their time next year instead of losing it as they normally would. Seems fair to me.

Question - did the Canadian travel health insurance get sorted out or is that still a concern? I would think that has a big impact on those who might fly.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

silversand wrote:

...we were bringing our RV down to Florida (in 6 weeks), and renting the condo we normally rent (for the past 7 years). So, condo and RV. Pretty sweet... I checked the reservations 2 days ago that we vacated....and they were completely booked solid again, probably by US snowbirds.
We do the same and rent a cottage on a small oceanfront tract. Moving to a "better" cottage location is seniority-based. This year we are one of the two oceanfronts for 3 weeks of our 6 week stay then we move to second back so some Canadians can have their regular spot in the oceanfront. Last winter their kids made them go home a few days after they arrived. This year if they don't show we get to stay in the oceanfront the whole time.

The manager, who happens to be Canadian, is "calling Covid rules", so if the Canadians don't come this year they still have dibs on their time next year instead of losing it as they normally would. Seems fair to me.

Question - did the Canadian travel health insurance get sorted out or is that still a concern? I would think that has a big impact on those who might fly.

Dave

Yes. Canadians can purchase out of country travel health insurance as per normal through various companies. Our insurer (Medipac) contacted us on schedule with their offer. We are RVers so we passed as the US border is still closed and at this point we are also concerned with the spread rate and high mortality rate in the US. About 5000 Americans per week are dieing right now. We’ll look at it again in the new year.

BarbaraOK

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

Cannot enter by land. No problem by air.

And yet there is a car with Alberta plates that just arrive on Monday on our street.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006
Figment II (2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ">
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761
Our Blog

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

....our long-time travel health insurance co. did contact us (not Medipac), and they were offering covid-related insurance. If we were to go south this winter, it would be after a good assessment of the hospital situation at our 2 overnights heading to Florida, and an in depth assessment of the fabulous health-care we would (or, may not) have ready access to at our destination. It wouldn't be till February to reconsider...

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

....I just checked the covid stats for the County in Florida where we snowbird. Almost the same population as our Quebec County (Canton), just over 200,000. Total cumulative deaths in Florida County: 77. Our Quebec County: 44. Present 14 day test positive cases in our Florida County: 430-ish; and in our Quebec County: 342-ish.

Plenty of beds and ICU capacity and low wait times at our Florida regional hospital. At our Quebec hospital: 23 to 46 hour wait times this week. And 5 to 7 hour wait times for covid test, with 5 to 6 days for results. At our Florida locale, 6 testing centers, no wait times with appointment, and 2 day return results.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silversand wrote:

....I just checked the covid stats for the County in Florida where we snowbird. Almost the same population as our Quebec County (Canton), just over 200,000. Total cumulative deaths in Florida County: 77. Our Quebec County: 44. Present 14 day test positive cases in our Florida County: 430-ish; and in our Quebec County: 342-ish.

Plenty of beds and ICU capacity and low wait times at our Florida regional hospital. At our Quebec hospital: 23 to 46 hour wait times this week. And 5 to 7 hour wait times for covid test, with 5 to 6 days for results. At our Florida locale, 6 testing centers, no wait times with appointment, and 2 day return results.

You guys are getting hard there. Hope it improves soon. Chin up. In BC still in good shape for cases, tests, wait times etc. Fingers crossed.

Cheers.

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarbaraOK, just had an Alberta plated vehicle come into an RV park here in Yuma where a friend of ours stays. They store the car here in the summer and just flew down. A little earlier than usual but the reason being the greedy airlines are quickly raising their flight prices. I think we will see more of this as the "season" gets here.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Alberta car might be stored in the usa. Or the owner may have dual citizenship.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> How many Canadian Snowbirds are there?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.