Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Choosing our first travel trailer! Big family
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Choosing our first travel trailer! Big family

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
falconbrother

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete (duplicate)

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow capacity is not a number you use to figure out what you can tow travel trailer wise. Tow capacity is determined by pulling a flat trailer with weight in ideal conditions and a driver who's first job is a jockey - with nothing else in the truck. It's not what the truck can pull - it's what it can carry. If your thinking 250/2500, consider a SRW 3500 as you most likely will want a bigger trailer/Fifth wheel in future.

Research Payload.

Good advice on Grand Design products. I've had nothing but good experiences from them including a major repair on my awning done out of warranty, and their willingness to let a mobile repair guy fix a recall issue - yes, they sent a recall notice for a possible electrical issue. Some people on here with an axe to grind will tell you that they are junk - yes stuff can go wrong, but you can learn from their two forums who to talk to to get things that should be resolved - resolved to your satisfaction. You won't get that many places.

For my first TT, I bought an entry level Coleman from camping world. After sitting between uses, I'd open it up and get overwhelmed by off-gassing Formaldehyde. Could not leave clothes or sheets in it - they would become unusable until washed. Camping world had it for warranty repairs in the first month. After not being called a few days after my promised date, I called them. They didn't know where my TT was - wasn't sure they remembered working on it as the tech I was working with had departed the day before.

They finally found it on the used lot where people were going through it and removing things that were in there. Would not accept a claim for missing items or damage caused - the vinyl wood grain on the bathroom cabinet was peeling - like someone pulled on it.

Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Tow capacity is not a number you use to figure out what you can tow travel trailer wise. Tow capacity is determined by pulling a flat trailer with weight in ideal conditions and a driver who's first job is a jockey - with nothing else in the truck. It's not what the truck can pull - it's what it can carry. If your thinking 250/2500, consider a SRW 3500 as you most likely will want a bigger trailer/Fifth wheel in future.

Research Payload.

Good advice on Grand Design products. I've had nothing but good experiences from them including a major repair on my awning done out of warranty, and their willingness to let a mobile repair guy fix a recall issue - yes, they sent a recall notice for a possible electrical issue. Some people on here with an axe to grind will tell you that they are junk - yes stuff can go wrong, but you can learn from their two forums who to talk to to get things that should be resolved - resolved to your satisfaction. You won't get that many places.

For my first TT, I bought an entry level Coleman from camping world. After sitting between uses, I'd open it up and get overwhelmed by off-gassing Formaldehyde. Could not leave clothes or sheets in it - they would become unusable until washed. Camping world had it for warranty repairs in the first month. After not being called a few days after my promised date, I called them. They didn't know where my TT was - wasn't sure they remembered working on it as the tech I was working with had departed the day before.

They finally found it on the used lot where people were going through it and removing things that were in there. Would not accept a claim for missing items or damage caused - the vinyl wood grain on the bathroom cabinet was peeling - like someone pulled on it.

Good luck

NIGHTMARE!!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the truck that you have and what is the payload on the sticker on the door jam. Saying that it has to be a "daily driver" makes the 13.5k tow rating odd...

With some real details, that will tell us more about what you can really pull.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

What is the truck that you have and what is the payload on the sticker on the door jam. Saying that it has to be a "daily driver" makes the 13.5k tow rating odd...

A 2500 pickup - daily meaning when we aren’t camping my husband will use it for work, drive around town, drive kids places, etc.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jas1317 wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

A 2500 pickup - daily meaning when we aren’t camping my husband will use it for work, drive around town, drive kids places, etc.

Year, make and model? Payload rating?

Once you are up to a 3/4 ton, the mention of daily driver is a bit of a red herring. We use ours as a daily driver but usually when people talk about daily driver, they are trying to get away with a marginal vehicle.

Trailer length is only marginally related to towing capability. What is the GVWR of the proposed trailers.

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camp-n-family wrote:

A model like our Keystone Bullet 31bhpr would fit the bill. There are several brands that have the same floor plan but I found the Keystone to be the lightest by a large margin and the quality was better than most.

It has a bunk room in back with king sized futon on the bottom and 2 single bunks above and decent storage. Outdoor kitchen with a sink (most nowadays don’t seem to have sinks anymore) and a 2nd entry door directly to the bathroom. A nice feature so the kids don’t track all the dirt through the trailer.

It’s 34’ tongue to bumper and only 6400lbs dry. 8k gvwr. I wouldn’t tow it with less than a 3/4t truck or van.

That leaves only 1600# for cargo and I’ll bet the “dry weight” is higher than advertised. Wouldn’t be surprised to see that trailer with about 1000# cargo. With your family, it will most likely be at max or over. That’s not a particularly good scenario.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 3500 is my Daily driver - I don't know why that is a consideration - it's not a dump truck...

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

My 3500 is my Daily driver - I don't know why that is a consideration - it's not a dump truck...
It's a consideration because some vehicles (like a F250 & F350) won't fit in some parking garages. Ask me how I know this. And that is just one example; there's also considerations like mpg for commutes to work, ability to fit between the gate posts to park behind the house, ability to fit in the garage (more real life experiences of mine), etc.

Jas1317

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I figured all 2500s are very similar in capacity

2020 GMC SIERRA 2500 HEAVY DUTY†
Maximum conventional trailering capacity of up to 18,500 lbs†
Maximum fifth-wheel/gooseneck rating of up to 18,510 lbs† (As shown 18,500 lbs†)
Maximum payload of up to 3,979 lbs† (As shown 3,563 lbs†)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Choosing our first travel trailer! Big family
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.