Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Do RV Batteries Freeze in the Winter?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do RV Batteries Freeze in the Winter?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big_C, I have the same four 6V Lifeline batteries wired in series and parallel. I contacted lifeline who said, just make sure they are full charged, disconnect the cables and they will be fine. hey may go from 13.4 to 13.2 over the winter but not to worry about them. I have taken their advice for the past three years. No issue at all. I hope this helps.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 04:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok a FULLY CHARGED Lead Acid battery, and this include AGM. Is good down to about -40,, Don't bother asking if that is C or F because -40C = -40F it's the crossover point.

A fully discharged Lead acid battery will freeze at between zero and -1C if I'm not mistaken.

So KEEP Them Full and Keep them happy.

Many if not most modern converters and most Inverter/Chargers have good soild 3-stage or 3-stage plus charger programming.. Some are still single or poor quality 2 stage but even they will keep it in float. .Or slap a battery minder (A big one) on it.. Make sure they are full and keep 'em full and they will not freeze at anything above -40 on either side of the thermometer.

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Big C

Kelowna, B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many thanks to all for you answers and suggestions. A special thank you to RobWYN who gave me the answer. I found somewhere online that AMG batteries are good in the cold and only start to freeze at -75F or -60C so it looks like we will move the RV from the storage lot, fully charge them here at the house and then disconnect the batteries for the winter.

Not looking forward to our first winter in Canada in over 20 years.

the 5C's
Big C & Mamma C
2 little c's (weiner dogs)
2001,39' RoseAir (Rexhall) DP with 2 slides
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee
contessajewall,com

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A fully charged AGM survives minus one hundred degrees celcius. That's cold enough to affect the tensile strength of many metals. This is why stealth bombers and F22 fighters use (Concorde) batteries. The SR71 cut it's teeth on AGM and to survive ridiculous temperature swings. By the time the aircraft achieved full song the temps on the skin went from -100c to 200c. The batteries compartments of course were heavily insulated. Keep in mind electrolyte density is 1.300

And Mexico is not very fun under cuarentena. The day the musica muerto. Restaurants that feature Covid seating in tourist areas are packed to the gills. Common sense demands a decent sea breeze anywhere there is people. Enclosed areas demanding A/C are not worth the risk, even with less than "normal" amounts of customers. Wandering vendors who either work or starve are an unacceptable risk.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big C wrote:

Specific question to FLY 4 FUN, so you just let the batteries sit in your RV for the winter after charging and disconnecting? FYI ours are AGM, sealed batteries.

I put my twin golf cart batts in my basement for the winter. I do it more out of concern for theft than care of the batteries. If I was in a milder climate and stored at my property I would leave them on and let my solar keep them safely charged.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

mchero

Henniker, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6+ New Hampshire winters my 93 Pace Arrow Diesel had 4 6 volt Sam's Club batteries.
Late fall I would FULLY CHARGE the HOUSE batteries as well as my two chassis batteries.
Disconnected the negative post on the house batteries and hit the disconnect switch on the chassis batteries.
NEVER froze any batteries.
Never removed any batteries.

For those who suggest pulling the house batteries never mention the chassis batteries on a DP.

DW just told me Justin Trudeau announced the border will STAY CLOSED until the great USA gets the Covid under control.
Looks like that will NEVER happen does it.

* This post was last edited 10/15/20 07:07pm by mchero *   View edit history

Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 05:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a cheap Harbor Freight maintainer fail. It shorted and drained my two Trojan 6 volt batteries which froze and busted. For several years I make sure my batteries are fully charged and then disconnect the negative battery cable. Have had no issues here in Minneapolis where temps quite often will hit -20F or colder.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 1978 VW Bug convertible
Minneapolis, MN

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While your board, might be a good time to add a battery disconect switch. Just a thought.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

full_mosey

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is nothing special about 'RV' batteries with respect to freezing. Assuming you mean lead-acid batteries then, yes, they can freeze.

Flooded will assuredly be damaged by freezing.

AGMs will not be damaged. However, AGMs cannot be charged if frozen and must be brought above freezing to be charged.

I have no idea how to determine if an AGM is, or ever has been, frozen. [emoticon]

HTH
John

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Self discharge is VERY slow when the battery is super cold.
As long as the battery is fully charged, clean and disconnected you should be fine for 4 to 6 months.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do RV Batteries Freeze in the Winter?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.