cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Medicare Advantage Plans

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have had original Medicare Parts A&B with a separate Supplemental and Prescription Drug plans for several years now. I was looking at Advantage plans and wondered if traveling from our stick home in Texas to our summer RV site in Maine would be a problem with the Advantage plan. If either of us needed to see a doctor while in Maine, would we be out of luck, insurance wise? Thanks for any of your experienced info!
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee
16 REPLIES 16

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We spend the winter in the Phoenix area. With so many seniors, the office staffS are so familiar with all of the ins and outs of Medicare that every thing goes quickly. Once a nurse said a test ordered might not be covered and I told here to code for an ovarian cancer diagnosed, sure enough covered. Once treated as a cancer patient you are always in remission never cured.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the AARP United Healthcare Plan F. I've been on it for 6 years. It has basically paid for everything that the Medicare 80% didn't including a shoulder rebuild and knee replacement. I've used it without problems while snowbirding. Most providers seem to be happy when you pull out the card since the plan pays without hassles.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
ljhl wrote:
Thanks everybody! We have had absolutely no issues with our current plans, guess weโ€™ll leave well enough alone and stick with what we have. Thanks again!

Good plan, if it ain't broke......

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
I just signed up for Plan G medigap policy back in May. My thing was I didn't want to be tied to a network and wanted to make sure if I needed medical attention as long as my doctor or facility takes medicare they have to see me. I just pay for an annual part B deductible of 198 but add my monthly premium. I got prices for all major companies and it's surprising how much the difference can be but by federal law the plan has to offer the same benefits but the insurance company can certainly charge different rates. Be sure to do your research because it can be beneficial or not so much. I had to do all the research when my husband turned 65 and it paid off for us.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

ljhl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everybody! We have had absolutely no issues with our current plans, guess weโ€™ll leave well enough alone and stick with what we have. Thanks again!
2007 Dutch Star 4023
Subaru Forester Toad
A mutt named Arvee

CindyfromCDA
Explorer
Explorer
I am a Medicare Advisor/Broker (for 21 years now) and a new member here.
If the Medicare Advantage Plan is an HMO, you only have emergency coverage out of the service area. Medicare Advantage PPO plans allow you to use out of network providers for a higher copay or coinsurance. Traditional Medicare Supplement plans (like Plan F or G) are accepted nationwide by any provider that accepts Medicare.
Hope that helps. Any questions about Medicare, I'm here to help.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
We have Scan Health and it has been terrific, with no disappointments.

Several surgeries, continual blood tests and monitoring. Prescriptions zero of close to it.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
ljhl wrote:
My wife and I have had original Medicare Parts A&B with a separate Supplemental and Prescription Drug plans for several years now. I was looking at Advantage plans and wondered if traveling from our stick home in Texas to our summer RV site in Maine would be a problem with the Advantage plan. If either of us needed to see a doctor while in Maine, would we be out of luck, insurance wise? Thanks for any of your experienced info!

To answer your question, possibly. Advantage Plans typically provide out of network coverage for emergency care only. But if you are back home in Texas, will your doctors be in your plan's network? Advantage Plans refer to "out of network " providers. That statement would be more accurate if it read "completely on your own".

Like you, my wife and I have 'original ' Medicare, a supplement, and a Part D drug plan. My wife needed hearing aids, a Costco membership took care of that with reasonably priced and good hearing aids. We have dental insurance as well. More monthly cost than an Advantage Plan, but as long as we can pay the premium, we have no desire to change.

Finally, something to consider. If you leave original Medicare, go to an Advantage Plan, and want to return to original Medicare, you will be subject to medical underwriting for a Supplement.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I passed out from heat exhaustion awhile back and United Health Care paid quick except for $250 of ambulance and $90 emergency but VA picked that right up. First time I ever used it as I usually use VA

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
We have been using Medicare with BSBC Supplemental and Express Scripts Plan D for 10 years. Has worked everywhere in the country. Dave had quadruple bypass last March and Pacemaker implanted in June. All done in Phoenix area. We paid nothing out of pocket for all of the surgeries, ICU stays, etc., which totaled almost $500K. Never had to check to see if it would be covered, only see physicians who except Medicare and everything is covered.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your independent insurance agent that sold you the plan. He/she will know, find out and/or report.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
United Healthcare Advantage plan through AARP claims to cover any provider who takes Medicare, might be a place to start. All of the Advantage plans are listed on the medicare.gov website and in a book put out by Medicare called "Medicare and you". It can be downloaded or mailed.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have an advantage plan PPO which is good anywhere and I really like it.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Going through these decisions myself for when I fully retire and lose the company plan next August. Right now Iโ€™m thinking that because we travel getting an F or G plan supplemental plan instead of an Advantage plan makes sense. If we stayed home the Advantage might be cheaper, but thatโ€™s not going to happen.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36