Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: On the road breakdown stories..
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On the road breakdown stories..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Two in 12 years towing our 5er.

1. Cam sensor on my truck towing my 5er failed just east of OKC. Coachnet sent out a roll back tow truck for my truck and a pickup with 5th wheel hitch for the 5er. Tow truck took my wife and two granddaughters to local Ford dealer. Pickup took me and 5er to KOA east of OKC, parked it in my assigned site, waited while I hooked up and started A/C, and took me to Ford dealer. Friday mid afternoon now and daughters needed to be back home by Tuesday for school. Dealer got me a rent car, sent the truck to the shop, started work early Saturday morning, and ready to go by noon. Great service by dealer and tow company.

2. After towing all day across Texas in temps up to 108 and stopped for an hour on I-40 just before NM due to an accident, pulled into a rest area west of Santa Rosa, NM to walk the dog. After 15-20 minutes go in truck, put in drive, and started to pull out. But it would not move. Tried reverse and no move. After several tries I noticed the truck was trying, but the 5er would not move. Hmmm? Brakes locked? Checked emergency breakaway and it was plugged in. Threw battery disconnect switch and disconnected cord to truck. Still would not move. Getting late and not long to dark, and nothing close. Called local sheriff department. No answer. Called Santa Rosa police department and spoke to someone there and asked about any RV repair facility close. Said yes but nothing would be open this late on a Friday evening.
Beginning to think we would spend the night in the rest area in 100 degrees. Noticed an older latino worker cleaning the grounds and ask him if he knew of any mobile repair person. He said wait a minute, pulled out his phone, and began to speak in spanish. Hmmmm? Don't like the fact I can't understand what he is saying. But he handed me his phone and I spoke to another person with a spanish accent and explained the problem. Breakaway cable he said. Already checked it I said as well as mentioning throwing the disconnect switch and pulling the cord. By any chance are you parked along the side where the big rigs park?, he asked. Yes, I said. Your tires are stuck to the hot soft pavement, he said. What??? Yes, put the truck in gear and give it a lot of throttle, he said. I said I tried that until I was afraid something might break. OK, trust me as I have made several $100 trips out there for the same thing. It is slightly downhill going backward so put it in reverse and give it good throttle, he said. So I put it in reverse, hit the throttle, and after a little hesitation it started to roll. Relief!! I got out and looked and could see depressions in the asphalt where the tires were. I ask what I owed him and he said just give my friend a tip. I gave him a generous trip and we were on our way.
What are the odds of being stuck in a remote rest area, finding a worker who has a friend who is a Mobile RV repairman, who just happened to be familiar with that rest area, who knew right away what the problem was, and who was willing to tell me free of charge rather than coming out and charging for a service call? Someone looking after us????

It took most of us one time on those cam sensors on the 7.3 . I carried a spare ,and the proper tools to replace it if it ever happened again. The first time I was lucky ,mine went out in my driveway, but had no clue would not start . Had it towed ,and repaired.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a fairly easy breakdown and it was some years ago. Was camping just south of San Francisco. Had just checked into the RV park and we were going to go pull to the spot and park, the truck did not start. Got the hood up and jump cables out and along came a Jeep that was nice enough to get us started.

Got parked just fine and kept the truck running the whole time. Found a local Costco and replaced the battery in the parking lot with full credit on the old one. Sometimes camping in the city has benefits.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

fullmoonoversalem

Alaska

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/20 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

July 3,2019 in 98 degree heat, 90% humidity, 5,000+ miles from our home in AK we had a major breakdown in NY state. We were driving happily along climbing a long hill when suddenly the dashboard lit up including the CEL. We were able to get to a safe place at the top of the hill to pull over.

We were able to get a tow with a wait time of 1.5 hours, someone who really did not know how to handle towing our class B Galleria. This happened just before close of business on the day before a holiday so getting the tow and a rental meant a lot of coordination and rushing around. Thank goodness for generators and air conditioning that work well.

We were towed to the Sprinter/Mercedes dealer in Albany, NY about an hour's drive away who let us know after a wait of a few days that we had a major oil leak due to our "free" oil change that we did not ask for. Apparently Midas in Soldotna, AK used an aftermarket filter which had a gasket that leaked and caused deterioration of the belts. As a result, the belt was caught up in the engine and fan parts.

After almost 2 weeks, we got the Galleria back. The service people were really great, but because Midas did the oil change there was no warranty for this episode.

The guys there took the engine apart 3 (I think) times before they were able to get all the debris out of the engine. We still had a lot of oil in the engine so we were lucky there, but we drove more than 5,000 miles with that incorrect oil filter and gasket.

This could have been a financial disaster. As it was it used up a lot of our "vacationing" budget for our trip and we did not get to do all the things we got to do.

The thing is, we did NOT need - or want an oil change. We took our rig to Midas to have the brakes and tires checked on our trailer for the trip. They threw in the oil change. Up till this time they were very good with all of our vehicles, but they were in the middle of a change in management, I guess.

We normally do not let anyone but Sprinter service touch our van.

I was going to tell about the time my husband had me drive our 5th wheel through a cornfield to park it in our yard, but he didn't think it was a good idea. Sure, the ground was solid, no mud. Right? We had to wait 3 hours for GSC to send us a tow, but our son got us out.

* This post was edited 11/04/20 05:59am by an administrator/moderator *

2017 Coachmen Galleria

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/20 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I might have told part of this but... Started home in late August,forgot the exact date. Washed coach and hoked up new Ford Edge ST.
Half mile down the road coach starts bucking and car is jumping around.
Brakes are smoking and on fire all four wheels of Edge
Took the car loose and drove to an RV Service. The air brake cylinder mis adjusted. Thought everything was fine now. hooked up with properly adjusted cylinder. Several miles down the road we stopped on shoulder of the road to tend to something. Started back up, the shoulder was loose gravel and dirt. About a half mile down the road smoke was noticed boiling from all four tires of the car. Stopped near rmp got out and looked things over. Car was in park. Tires were ruined with strips of rubber trailing the tires.Traffic was too heavy to unhook, so made sure it was in neutral and proceed very slowly off the ramp.
A couple of nice guys stopped to help. A good think as I'm getting to the point of very bad difficulty in hookup and unhooking.
Called State Farm and they got a flatbed to come, to the middle of nowhere and pick up the car and take back to dealer. A lot of problems getting them to fix it in a timely manner. Six more weeks in the desert. We had to pay, well state Farm did. It turns out when you leave the vehicle, set to tow according to ford nd the manual,if you get anywhere near it again it goes into auto park. When we stopped alongside the road first time I went back and visually checked the car, a habit, everything looked fine. I didn't open the door or anything.
Ford installed a battery disconnect and now we have to unscrew a panel and pull a lanyard to transmission in order tow tow. Two people from the service dept it wa all they could do to pull the lanyard and lock it in a slot. We got home wife easily released it though. So now we have a new tow vehicle we can't handle to setup to tow.
Brakes and rotors were burnt and the calipers melted and four tires ruined. PS: before anyone says anything about my typing. I am having eye problems and go for an injection in the left one tomorrow and have nerve damage in my hands and fingers.

* This post was edited 11/05/20 07:31pm by down home *

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Filled up both near empty tanks at a busy Amarillo, TX. truck stop. Off we headed N on 287 to CO.

1 1/2 later, DW driving, the truck died. Just died in the middle of the TX panhandle. Nothing there. Not even a cell signal. A TX trooper stopped & arranged a tow to next town.

Flat towed, with trailer, no power to brakes or steering to a Chevy dealer where they tinkered & got us started.

Off we went. 1 1/2 hours later the truck stops dead. OK panhandle this time, even more remote. Got towed by proper wrecker to next town. Spent night at his garage. Very much an old school diesel mechanic. Got truck started, topped off tank that we had been using (important) & continued to CO. Night in Seibert, CO E of Denver.

Next day CHANGED tanks (100% Amarillo fuel) & headed to Denver. 1 1/2 hours later truck died in the middle of one of Denver's busiest interchanges.

Finding a wrecker capable of towing us was near impossible so this shade tree mechanic & a 25 year veteran of marine diesel engines was left scratching his head to save himself.

Brain fart! Changed tanks (to Amarillo/Oklahoma tank MIX). After repeated starts & stops with priming in between, the truck was running smoothly.

Bad fuel from Amarillo.

At next fillup, (that tank had 3 hours burn taken out of it) added all kinds of diesel additives. The engine has been fine ever since.

Moral of story. Don't count on a busy truck stop having good fuel.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/20 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several stations in Amarillo on side roads of I40 with better rices than the last many miles either direction. Construction going out and coming back so we didn't try to get into one of the stations. Did manage to get to RV Park for that Steak house that serves the 72 ounce steak.
Glad we didn't get fuel.
Did you call the Dept Ag or whoever and report that station?
Glad you didn't ruin the engine.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/20 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leaving Mesa Arizona heading East one morning my oil pressure gauge started flickering and dropped. The engine sounded just as it always does and the oil light never came on so didn't pull over immediately. Drove about 300 miles and there was a Napa next to where I was getting diesel so picked up a new sending unit. When I went to put it on I found the one on the truck was just loose, changed it anyways.

1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> On the road breakdown stories..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.