cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sidewall of truck height

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Good afternoon. We are planning to purchase a Lance 1172 next spring. I have been researching items that I will probably be doing to the truck. We have a 2014 Chevy Silverado 3500HD, DRW, CC 8' bed,4X4mDuraax. My question: Is the sidewall of the bed to tall for the 1172. I have l00ked through the specs and did not see the height required for the part of the TC that sits in the bed. I have 21" to the top of the sidewalls, because I have a horse stall mat in the bed.
I did a search on this site, but I probably did not word it correctly, and had no results.
We are so excited to be getting the TC, Can hardly wait till next spring., and hitting the road. We have a small 5er we want to sell first before purchasing the TC.
Thanks in advance for any input you have to offer.
Safe Travels
Have a Pleasant day.
Brenda and Bill
2020 Lance 1172, our traveling rig
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.
2014 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500HD, CC, 4x4, LB, duals, DuraMax
13 REPLIES 13

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
MORSNOW wrote:
Supercharged111 wrote:
My 1131 sits ass down in the bed of my 97, I'd like to hear more about this crown. Is there a bulge in the middle or something?

There is a crown that runs widthwise across the bed around mid bed. I grabbed a 4' level and started at the rear of the box and slid it forward towards the cab, there is a definitely a noticeable crown that appears as the level rises off the box at the crown. I'm pretty sure it's purpose is for water drainage towards the tailgate and front drainage holes, but it can cause a porpoise effect with a truck camper. You can also see it in GM truck camper pics from the side, campers appear nose high due to compressing the rear of the rubber mat with the front of the camper not sitting flat on the bottom of the box.

Might be for drainage, but not sure they expect the truck to be parked level enough to matter.
I'm more inclined to think it is a fold line to absorb energy and keep the floor out of cab on impact.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Supercharged111 wrote:
My 1131 sits ass down in the bed of my 97, I'd like to hear more about this crown. Is there a bulge in the middle or something?

There is a crown that runs widthwise across the bed around mid bed. I grabbed a 4' level and started at the rear of the box and slid it forward towards the cab, there is a definitely a noticeable crown that appears as the level rises off the box at the crown. I'm pretty sure it's purpose is for water drainage towards the tailgate and front drainage holes, but it can cause a porpoise effect with a truck camper. You can also see it in GM truck camper pics from the side, campers appear nose high due to compressing the rear of the rubber mat with the front of the camper not sitting flat on the bottom of the box.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks BradyMyDog
Brenda and Bill
2013 Heartland Landmark Mesa, 40', fifth wheel, we keep at our snowbird home in central FL, Bushnell, FL.

Bradymydog
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2018 GMC, where the bed meets the sides at the tailgate there is a radius molded in. I raised my bigfoot 1" by using a full 1X8" pine board. The board is notched and tapered on the bottom to conform to the contour of the bed. I then put a full sheet of 1" foil face poly iso for the remainder of the bed and placed my bed mat on top of that. No problems in over 10K miles.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
Geo Boy, thank you, I will check it out.
Brenda and Bill

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super, your truck is fine it’s the newer GM’s that have it.

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Geo*Boy wrote:
Bill, be aware that your truck bed may have the infamous GM crown. My 2015 has it and I just added an additional 20” long piece of rubber bed mat in the rear portion of bed to compensate for the crown.

I also added two 24" semi rubber mud flaps under my bed mat on the rear portion of my bed to compensate for the crown. It got rid of some of the fore and aft bounce while on the road.
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo, thank you
Brenda and Bill

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
woodworker414 wrote:
My question: Is the sidewall of the bed to tall for the 1172. I have l00ked through the specs and did not see the height required for the part of the TC that sits in the bed.

A dealer should be able to measure that for you.

FWIW, I can't imagine that a new camper won't fit.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill, be aware that your truck bed may have the infamous GM crown. My 2015 has it and I just added an additional 20” long piece of rubber bed mat in the rear portion of bed to compensate for the crown.

woodworker414
Explorer
Explorer
ranholago, thanks for the reply
Brenda and Bill

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
My 2002 Lance 1130 needs about 2 inches to clear the cab of my 2006 f 350 drw. ( I use 2x6 laying down for the spacer and works fine) My guess is that a new Lance mated with 2014 Chevy would probably be fine with out any spacers in the bed. but just a guess on my part. I would think by 2014, Lance and the big 3 would have that all ironed out.
My 1997 Lance 165 needed about 3" to clear the cab of my 1999 f 250.