cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colors of trucks!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Just an observation. Coming back from the beach today I happen to notice that there are 10 trucks that are white. One black and one bronze, all various makes. We are in Navarre FL, but I didnโ€™t notice the plates on the trucks.

Is this a new color tend? I mean I do I like white, but if everything is going white, I may have to change color. BTW my everyday car is a pearl white Chrysler 300.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!
55 REPLIES 55

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
......"I do remember that some years ago California did debate a law that would have forbidden colors that absorbed too much heat. The thought was that with their acres of parking lots dark paints were doing too much to heat the environment"......

Now that, in and of itself, would make me move out of California fast, quick, and in a hurry. Seriously??? And, I'm sure that's nowhere near the craziest 'debate' the state's ever had!!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
agesilaus wrote:
Rochester NY eh? I can see that you do not live in a hot section of the country. White is just practical down here. Up there I can see losing your truck in the blizzards so maybe bright red would be better for you. Slush almost certainly looks worse on white too.

So everyone should be forced to drive white cars because they're "practical" in certain climates?

I think that all he suggested that you would be safer in a red car in your climate but that was all.

I do remember that some years ago California did debate a law that would have forbidden colors that absorbed too much heat. The thought was that with their acres of parking lots dark paints were doing too much to heat the environment.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Remember Henry Fords line?
Any color you want as long as it's black!

Actually it was Japan Black. That was the first lacquer and was the only paint that dried fast enough to keep up with his assembly line. But he did fail to keep up with the times when other colors became available. The paint company had a hard time convincing GM that other colors worked and finally resorted to repainting an executive's car while he was eating lunch to demonstrate their quick drying ability. It was quite an entertaining read

Japan Black

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
White on trucks makes sense because of how many are purchased for commercial uses. My F250 is white. DW wanted a white SUV when we leased her Infiniti, replacing her white Infiniti sedan. She has said her next one will NOT be white. We have a Subaru Legacy that is a dark red/maroon color and looks amazing when clean. When it's not clean you can definitely tell.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Back in 1981 I was driving a 74 GMC Jimmy that I had completely rebuilt , entire new body ,but the hood ,and tailgate , painted it white . Drove that until 1995 , wanted a new truck, leased a 1995 Chev 1/2 ton, only lease I ever did. I had been in a white vehicle for 14 years, wanted a different color. There were three of those Chevs sitting on the dealers lot side by side , dark Green ,white ,and a red one. The green looked the prettiest to me, so I bought it. It didn't take a month to want to be rid of that dark color, it was a long 3 year lease :B I ordered ,and bought the early 99 Superduty 350 crew cab in July of 1998 , WHITE , and its been white cars ,and trucks since then.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
agesilaus wrote:
Rochester NY eh? I can see that you do not live in a hot section of the country. White is just practical down here. Up there I can see losing your truck in the blizzards so maybe bright red would be better for you. Slush almost certainly looks worse on white too.

So everyone should be forced to drive white cars because they're "practical" in certain climates?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Remember Henry Fords line?
Any color you want as long as it's black!
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Express your individuality! Drive a white vehicle.

Right now around here half the vehicles are white. My neighbor across the road drives a white SUV. Next door on one side has a white SUV. Next door on the other side has a white pickup and a white SUV.

It's not about being trendy. It's cheaper for the car manufacturers to have fewer color choices. If they had their way ALL vehicles would come out of the factory white.

I firmly believe they are trying to make that a reality by forcing white down our throats. "It's our best selling color!" Well yeah it is, because you don't have any other colors!

GM had this beautiful shade of green in 2014-2015 on their Silverado trucks. When one showed up on the lot it was gone by the next time you went past the dealer. I was lucky enough to get one, and I'm not trading trucks again until they have something besides black, red, gray, or WHITE.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
agesilaus wrote:
bobsallyh wrote:
Count us in, white Ram dually. We are in Arizona, white is much cooler than dark colors, the sun doesn't eat up white as much as darker colors. Companies use white trucks, easier to logo and resell etc. I won't pay extra won't some fluffy color, sort of like the US Forest Service. A number of years ago they deep sixed that putrid green and went with white. Easier to resell at the auction. White also doesn't show dirt like many colors and since I'm not a washer or polisher it suits me to a "T".

Ditto on that, we have had dark colored vehicles in the past and they are hot and the paint fades. Black is the worst. Dirt for the most part is light colored and shows up less on light colored trucks, within reason. Actually if you want a truck that doesn't show the dirt get a tan or beige colored one.

Ford and Chrysler both used to have what I called a dirty white, just a little bit of tan mixed in, not enough to notice unless it was next to something that was bright white. I know that the Chrysler was spinnaker white and I think that the Ford was Colonial white. They both hid dirt well.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
"When I ordered my F150 with a light colored leather interior I had to sign a disclaimer that I would not hold Ford responsible for it getting dirty"

Seriously? Now that's a stretch......not sure I can buy that.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobsallyh wrote:
Count us in, white Ram dually. We are in Arizona, white is much cooler than dark colors, the sun doesn't eat up white as much as darker colors. Companies use white trucks, easier to logo and resell etc. I won't pay extra won't some fluffy color, sort of like the US Forest Service. A number of years ago they deep sixed that putrid green and went with white. Easier to resell at the auction. White also doesn't show dirt like many colors and since I'm not a washer or polisher it suits me to a "T".

Ditto on that, we have had dark colored vehicles in the past and they are hot and the paint fades. Black is the worst. Dirt for the most part is light colored and shows up less on light colored trucks, within reason. Actually if you want a truck that doesn't show the dirt get a tan or beige colored one.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ppine wrote:
White is the easiest color to match when doing body repairs.
I went camping last week and there were 5 grey trucks in a row, a recently popular color.

You haven't done much painting if you say that. I'd hazard a guess there are far more shades of "white" that outwardly appear the same (until you put one sample on top of the other) than most other colors that "look" the same.
None of it is a concern though, since unless matching an old paint job with UV degradation, if you match the paint code on any color with quality paint, you're likely to not even have to blend the repair.

I suppose "recently" is subjective. Grays have been pretty prominent for the last 30 years or so??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Egor'sRV wrote:
I was visiting someone at a hospital and decided to have a look out the window. It happened that the view was of the parking lot six stories down.

Out of the entire lot, 99% of the vehicles were either white/silver or extremely dark midnight blue, green, or black.

It was very easy to spot my YELLOW Fiero as it was the only other color in the lot.

Yellow has been scarce since Yellow Cab went out of business.

I used to have a 2 tone blue E350 15 passenger for hauling the kids. The only one that I have ever seen with that paint job. It seemed that everywhere we went a friend would remark on having seen us there. I traded it for a white one and became anonymous. A few times people asked what church we were with.