cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Uconnect 8.4 default to bluetooth?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2020 ram 1500, with the 8.4 non-nav Uconnect system. My XM trial has expired and I don't plan on renewing. There's not much for broadcast radio, so I'd like to default to Bluetooth on the radio.

I can't seem to find the menu option to set that. Years ago (2013) I had 8.4 Uconnect with Nav and it just worked didn't have to do anything.

Now when I connect to the phone, and turn off, the next time I start up it goes back to the dead XM radio instead of the phone.

Maybe my radio is defective? Any ideas?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
18 REPLIES 18

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put the truck in run without starting it. Push and hold the centers of the two radio buttons, until it starts a reboot. See if that changes things.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Goducks ... Tried your steps, but must have missed something. While doing the voice command + green phone button all it did was complain about not understanding.

After that having the door open until the dash turned off, then closing and starting the engine, radio still defaulting to XM, and still not connecting to BT with the media button.

Will try again when it's not pouring out. Kinda thinking I have a defective head unit.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
What type of phone? That version should use wireless Carplay. Not sure about the Android auto function. Then you can just hit the Carplay icon instead of media.

I think wireless was introduced in more upscale models. I can do wired android auto, and the radio will default to that. I don't use it for quick drives to avoid wear and tear on the expensive to replace phone connector.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II

Match Brake, Break, Baker and Kebar to the right pictures.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Learjet wrote:
can't find the "break" pedal ๐Ÿ™‚

The "baker" fell in the "kebar"! Or was it the "kebar" flooded the "baker"?

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
can't find the "break" pedal ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
GordonThree wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Have you had it on the phone and pushed the seat memory button, to remember "your" personal settings, for seat, mirrors, HVAC, and radio etc?

No memory button.

No memory seats for which fob opened the door? What trim level?

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Okay Googled around and found this.

1. Sit in driver seat, doors closed, vehicle off.
2. Foot off the break, press start/stop button once to place vehicle in ACC mode.
3. Press the start/stop button twice to turn off vehicle.
4. Hold the Voice Recognition and Green Phone buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds, then let go.
5. Open the driver door for 30 seconds, or until the dash display cluster turns off - whichever comes first, then close the door.
6. Hold down the break pedal, and press the start/stop button to start the vehicle normally.

After I did step 6, my Uconnect system quickly flashed through several screens including what looked like a dial pad and the text "enter anti-theft code" (?). It still started in FM radio, but when I pressed the Media icon, it immediately went to Bluetooth (whereas in the past, I would have to hit the down arrow then select Bluetooth). I restarted the vehicle normally again, and this time it went straight to Bluetooth.

Let me know if you have any questions, or you can call Uconnect General Support here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/contact-us.html

They asked for the last 8 characters of my VIN and had me verify my name, address, and phone number (which I assume they got through RAM). Edit: The second guy asked for my address and email, then asked if I wanted to add my phone number, so I guess they weren't for verification, but to add to their records.

Sounds like a sobriety test

Or a reason to drink. Chicken or the egg scenario. :B

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:

2. Foot off the break, press start/stop button once to place vehicle in ACC mode.
4. Hold the Voice Recognition and Green Phone buttons on the steering wheel for 30 seconds, then let go.
5. Open the driver door for 30 seconds, or until the dash display cluster turns off - whichever comes first, then close the door.
6. Hold down the break pedal, and press the start/stop button to start the vehicle normally.

After I did step 6, my Uconnect system quickly flashed through several screens including what looked like a dial pad and the text "enter anti-theft code" (?). It still started in FM radio, but when I pressed the Media icon, it immediately went to Bluetooth (whereas in the past, I would have to hit the down arrow then select Bluetooth). I restarted the vehicle normally again, and this time it went straight to Bluetooth.

Let me know if you have any questions, or you can call Uconnect General Support here: https://www.driveuconnect.com/contact-us.html

They asked for the last 8 characters of my VIN and had me verify my name, address, and phone number (which I assume they got through RAM). Edit: The second guy asked for my address and email, then asked if I wanted to add my phone number, so I guess they weren't for verification, but to add to their records.

Sounds like a sobriety test
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
What type of phone? That version should use wireless Carplay. Not sure about the Android auto function. Then you can just hit the Carplay icon instead of media.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

Great I'll give this a try, thanks!

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Have you had it on the phone and pushed the seat memory button, to remember "your" personal settings, for seat, mirrors, HVAC, and radio etc?

No memory button.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
My 19 Ram won't stay in Bluetooth after shutting it off. Haven't taken the time to research so I'm staying tuned in to this thread.
Pretty frustrating to say the least.

My '17 did.. I wonder if it's a feature FCA removed sometime during the '19 model year?