Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to RV'ing, need a new vehicle

aquariafly
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all,

So we are looking into getting into camping a bit more and hoping to buy a travel trailer. First step we need to upgrade our vehicle since I'll be using this vehicle as a daily driver I want something sorta comfy and with seats to haul the family around. We were looking at VW Atlas, Highlander or Telluride. The max tow is 5000lb (with tow package and all). (Not looking at pick-ups)

We were hoping to get a small hybrid trailer like the Jayco Jayfeather X17Z or Surveyor 191T.

These are both around 3300lb. We'd be carrying 4-5 people max in the car + gear. Longest drive would be 4-5 hrs, mostly flat.

So I just want to see how realistic this setup would be. We would get all the necessary safety mods like weight distribution, electronic trailer brakes.

Anyone else using an SUV to tow a small trailer? Thank you all for the feedback and help in this decision.
15 REPLIES 15

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
If you’re set on those vehicles loaded with people and gear you should stick with a pop up trailer
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
aquariafly wrote:
Probably with the larger cars like the Expedition and Armada won't fit right in my garage and no space on the driveway for it.

I'm trying to do some research on the VW Atlas and Subaru Ascent, which I've found on those forums people are pulling lots of different types.

I'm curious why the Jayco Jayfeather X17Z has such a high tongue weight for such a small trailer. I guess a lot of the weight is moved forward in the trailer?

Be very careful of ANY trailer that has a very low tongue weight for the size.

Tongue weight IS your "friend" when it comes to towing stability.

Accepted range is 10%-15% for bumper pull but being in the lower range means the trailer may not be as stable and will take much less effort to cause trailer sway. Many folks talk about 12%-13% and while that makes for a bit more stability, ideally you NEED to shoot for 15% as that is where you will not have as much twitch and will take considerably more effort to start trailer sway..

Do not discount "Mr Murphy", he takes full advantage of messing with your life when it is least expected.. A lot of folks here ignore words of wisdom..

I have been extremely lucky to have had not one but two times with Mr Murphy having to dodge deer running out in front of me while towing at highway speeds.. Both times I was able to stomp on the brakes and bring the whole train to nearly a stop without the trailer once giving me the feeling that it was going to swing.. One time was so close that I could see the deer ticks jumping off the deer for their lives..

Because I am not afraid of owning a bigger and heavier tow vehicle that is far more capable of handling a trailer bigger and heavier than what I have, those events turned out fine..

I would not wish to retry those events using a much less capable vehicle, I most likely would not be here to type this.

My advice is get a far more capable vehicle to start with and keep your trailer size and weight WELL below the max capabilities of the tow vehicle. That may mean that you will have to scrub the small SUV idea or even the largest SUV and go full tilt to a full sized pickup truck to get your dream trailer.

I would also recommend ignoring the dry weights and using the GVWR of the trailer, absolutely no one ever tows a trailer completely empty when camping. And yes, that means you may have a huge Cargo capacity of the trailer that is unused, there is no law that states one must use every ounce of cargo capacity.. But there are folks who like to justify there oversized trailer by counting potato chips they can take with them..

aquariafly
Explorer
Explorer
Probably with the larger cars like the Expedition and Armada won't fit right in my garage and no space on the driveway for it.

I'm trying to do some research on the VW Atlas and Subaru Ascent, which I've found on those forums people are pulling lots of different types.

I'm curious why the Jayco Jayfeather X17Z has such a high tongue weight for such a small trailer. I guess a lot of the weight is moved forward in the trailer?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Yup, tow vehicle payload is going to be the limiting factor. Midsize suv probably has a max payload around 1200 lbs. A tank of gas will take 150 lbs of that, five people at an average 150 lbs takes another 750 lbs. That only leaves 350 lbs for games and snacks and drinks and maps and books and “stuff,” never mind the trailer’s tongue weight of 400-600 lbs and oops, you are overloaded.

Payload already accounts for full fluids, including fuel. No need to subtract for that.
Hitched by Hensley

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Yup, tow vehicle payload is going to be the limiting factor. Midsize suv probably has a max payload around 1200 lbs. A tank of gas will take 150 lbs of that, five people at an average 150 lbs takes another 750 lbs. That only leaves 350 lbs for games and snacks and drinks and maps and books and “stuff,” never mind the trailer’s tongue weight of 400-600 lbs and oops, you are overloaded.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
I read you saying no trucks but what about the smaller 4 door pickups like the Ranger or Canyon? They have a larger towing capacity than most SUVs.
Keep in mind, Towing Capacity is GCWR minus curb weight. As was mentioned above, every pound in the tow vehicle (TV) is taken from the tow rating.
I most often recommend the goal of using 75-80% of your Tow Rating when matching TV to loaded travel trailer(TT). This is to leave capacity for what gets carried in the TV and vehicle operation. It really sucks to go at half the speed limit up steep hills ;(

When I finally CAT scaled my then rig, Explorer rated 5225# towing, current 3877# GVWR trailer, I found out I was borderline on my TT axle, and slightly over on my TV rear GAWR. Both TV & TT went on a weight loss program. One season and it was easy to talk wife into me getting a truck. Now limiting our load out is to not making extra effort and having extra stuff in the way, and more stuff to unload once home. And I can take the firewood I want and haul water in the TT if desired.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
Other good choices would be the Nissan Armada, Chevy Tahoe, or Ford Expedition. All would seat your family comfortably and have 3rd rows and would tow something like that safely. I towed about 3100# behind our 2019 Jeep Cherokee V6 tow pack (#4500 tow rating) and don't think I would have gone above 3500#. It did pretty good going up the mountains of western NC. It was just me and the DW, no fluids in the trailer, clothes, food, etc.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP: The smartest thing you're doing is asking here BEFORE you bought anything!
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with a bigger suv. You might be able to tow with the smaller one but it will not be a good experience. Especially if you load up the TT. And you will with 5 people going. Thats food for 5 people, clothing, bedding , etc.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think if you want to stay in the "sport utility" type vehicle and really want to tow something and not worry so much about weight you should look towards a larger sport utility like an Expedition, Tahoe or Suburban. It's a lot more comfy to have a "larger foot print" towing the coach. I towed a 25 ft. trailer all over the US with a 1999 half ton suburban 4x4. It had a nice large foot print and I never felt "pushed". Nope, for your daily driver, it's not gonna get small car mileage like a Highlander sized vehicle, but if I compromised one or the the other....it's be on the "tow safely side".
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A lot of chicken little syndrome in the responses thus far. However there is some truth to their statements in that you will be at max capacity and not have the best chassis and drivetrain for towing a high profile trailer.
That said, occasional use and mostly flat towing and low altitude, it’s doable.
Also passenger weight doesn’t subtract pound for pound from towing rating. Chicken littles have it wrong. Technically it subtracts from payload / tongue weight capacity.
Again they’re correct, load the rig heavy and you’re dipping into tongue weight capacity greatly, but you may still be within all the “numbers” depending on weights.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I towed trailers up to 3500 lbs extensively with a 2008 Highlander. It did okay up to about 60 mph (slower in the mountains of course). I see you are in Ontario; it’s not too hilly there. If you can ensure that the loaded hitch weight is under the 500 lb limit and if your passengers and cargo aren’t too heavy, I think you could do it. You’d need to lock out overdrive so the transmission doesn’t hunt gears and get too hot. Make sure all tires are infleted to max rated psi, and consider getting some LT tires with a slightly lower sidewall to enhance handling. You won’t have enough leeway for a weight distribution hitch, so get all wheel drive and add an anti-sway friction bar.

If you decide to go bigger, you might consider a Toyota Sequoyah or Ford Expedition. A crew cab pickup could work (look for higher payload units, check the door jamb stickers).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with your plan is the 4-5 people plus gear in the vehicle. That’s what those vehicles are designed to carry while not towing. Once you add all that weight to the vehicle you lose most of the towing capability. Your payload (found on tire rating sticker on drivers door) will be mostly taken up with passengers and gear leaving little to nothing left for the tongue weight of the trailer. Only exception would be if 3 of your passengers were small lightweight children. Might be doable now but you will quickly outgrow your vehicle.

New vehicle tow ratings are calculated with allowances for one 150lbs driver and one 150lbs passenger. Any other weight added to the vehicle reduces your tow rating pound for pound. Those trailers once loaded with gear will exceed your loaded vehicle tow rating.

The trailers you list at 3300lbs are brochure dry weights, not what you will be towing. They don’t include options, propane, water in tanks or any of your “stuff”. Trailers delivered to dealers are usually several hundred pounds heavier than the brochure weights. Add your stuff for 5 people and you’ll be 4500lbs+. For stability trailers should have ~12% of its loaded weight on the tongue. That’s at least 540lbs. That weight counts towards your tow vehicles payload and will exceed the hitch receiver rating for those vehicles. Most manufacturers calculate the max hitch weight as 10% of the tow rating (500lbs for a 5k tow rating).
Hitched by Hensley

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Oh boy, yep agree with above.
Without elaborating get a 2500 series truck and thank us later.

A pop-up and 4 trailers later I can say that. Lol