cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are other drivers killing your RV experience?

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I see frequent speeding, tailgating, a general lack of regard for other drivers.

What is it making people like that? I like to help other drivers so what gives :h
78 REPLIES 78

Uncledave54
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
Yester-years drivers our age today thought the same thing about us back then.

Bingo, if you start talking about the new way of things vs how great it was in the old days, it usually just means you are old.

Next you'll be complaining about these young kids who don't walk uphill both ways barefoot in the snow to school.

GDS-3950BH
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
I want to thank you all for the great comments here as it has given me a different perspective. I think also having gone thru a lawsuit where a person tried suing me for an undisclosed amount over some actions I took to get him off my property, It caused a lot of distrust with many things in my everyday life around me. As it was I tried to help a guy, but turned out he was only interested in getting a free ride and setting me up to sue me. Pretty evil person in the end trying to provoke me at times. Imagine that going on your own personal property for 3 mos. My Lawyer was Brilliant.

Anyhow finally getting an RV trip after all that going on put me in unsure waters for a time, This discussion helps me realize the need to get back in touch with my old self. I think I will and thank you all.
Welcome to Hard Knocks U, apparently you got an advanced degree. Anyone planning on becoming a landlord should be required to watch "Pacific Heights". They would quickly see that the deck is stacked against them should a renter turn out to be a villain.
My guess is you tried to get the guy to leave by taking what seemed to be reasonable actions above and beyond sending them registered demand and eviction notices. Even a small thing like stopping the yard service or can be construed by a tenant as harassment and don't even think about turning off any utilities or touching anything that could be considered their personal property, junk strewn about the yard included.
Don't know what that has to do with driving, other than making you aware that there are people who are bat-she-ite crazy. But that goes back way further than the automobile. I am sure that if people were around during the times of the dinosaurs some would have ridden them down the wrong side of the road.
The real moral of this entire thread is the world seems to be turning upside down. Everyday more and more people are expecting the world to adapt to their needs, rather than they adapt to the ways of the world. All I can say is" good luck with that, just don't hold your breath"

Depending on the state at the current time, evicting a tenant legally for legitimate reasons could be impossible due to Covid edicts handed down by folks who do not have a dog in the hunt. They're not the ones footing the bills while the tenants get a freebie.

There is no shortage of folks riding covid 19 for all its worth. I don't think I have seen this many help wanted signs in my travels ever.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I fill up with fuel the same place our local police fill up and they are saying the same thing about people the way things are changing.

While camping a great area last week, it was great meeting some new friends. Want to dwell on the fact that most RV people are really good folks.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
I want to thank you all for the great comments here as it has given me a different perspective. I think also having gone thru a lawsuit where a person tried suing me for an undisclosed amount over some actions I took to get him off my property, It caused a lot of distrust with many things in my everyday life around me. As it was I tried to help a guy, but turned out he was only interested in getting a free ride and setting me up to sue me. Pretty evil person in the end trying to provoke me at times. Imagine that going on your own personal property for 3 mos. My Lawyer was Brilliant.

Anyhow finally getting an RV trip after all that going on put me in unsure waters for a time, This discussion helps me realize the need to get back in touch with my old self. I think I will and thank you all.
Welcome to Hard Knocks U, apparently you got an advanced degree. Anyone planning on becoming a landlord should be required to watch "Pacific Heights". They would quickly see that the deck is stacked against them should a renter turn out to be a villain.
My guess is you tried to get the guy to leave by taking what seemed to be reasonable actions above and beyond sending them registered demand and eviction notices. Even a small thing like stopping the yard service or can be construed by a tenant as harassment and don't even think about turning off any utilities or touching anything that could be considered their personal property, junk strewn about the yard included.
Don't know what that has to do with driving, other than making you aware that there are people who are bat-she-ite crazy. But that goes back way further than the automobile. I am sure that if people were around during the times of the dinosaurs some would have ridden them down the wrong side of the road.
The real moral of this entire thread is the world seems to be turning upside down. Everyday more and more people are expecting the world to adapt to their needs, rather than they adapt to the ways of the world. All I can say is" good luck with that, just don't hold your breath"

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
While its not a big issue i think speed differential in norther Michigan is kind of annoying.

I like to Cruise at 70 with the camper hooked up. Its comfortable to me, trucks stable, transmission isn't always shifting up and down. Its a good speed and i can keep'er moving.

Michigan last year or so raised the speed limit to 75 in some parts. 65 on state highways as well. It gave everyone a green light to go 85/90. While its great with a snowmobile trailer or even no load. you can really fly. Not so great cruising at 70 with a trailer. Your going to fast for semi's and to slow for the left lane. when you come up on slower traffic you get stuck with a line of 30' cars cruising past you in the left lane at 85/90 for a few miles. makes it aggravating to try and pass slower traffic quickly.

Not a big deal breaker but annoying some times. usually on long trips.

Out my way they raised the speed limit for the big rigs, so now everyone is running even faster to pass at an effective rate. Part of the problem as a result we see a lot more excessive speeders running the 80- 90 like you say. It makes for some very horrific crashes at those speeds.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Are other drivers killing your RV experience?

Traveling on the US east coast is always busy interstate, no way your going to get anywhere decent without traveling an interstate or without a reservation. Sometimes you can travel on a weekend or after rushhour but it will still be BUSY, just relatively less .

What I find is I get mentally tired because I have to focus driving defensively and more 100% of the time. Throw in a trip with heavy rain & wind and I'm usually hitting the tylenol when I arrive at my destination.

As I slowly age I have been planning more stop overs and cutting my travel milage down, this has helped. Did a few trips up to Canada couldn't believe how open the highways were

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
While its not a big issue i think speed differential in norther Michigan is kind of annoying.

I like to Cruise at 70 with the camper hooked up. Its comfortable to me, trucks stable, transmission isn't always shifting up and down. Its a good speed and i can keep'er moving.

Michigan last year or so raised the speed limit to 75 in some parts. 65 on state highways as well. It gave everyone a green light to go 85/90. While its great with a snowmobile trailer or even no load. you can really fly. Not so great cruising at 70 with a trailer. Your going to fast for semi's and to slow for the left lane. when you come up on slower traffic you get stuck with a line of 30' cars cruising past you in the left lane at 85/90 for a few miles. makes it aggravating to try and pass slower traffic quickly.

Not a big deal breaker but annoying some times. usually on long trips.

dedmiston
Best of luck to you and your old self. It sounds like you're on the right track.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to camp during the week, Monday through Friday.
The shoulder seasons are the best and what RVs are made for.
Boondocking always gets me away from the crowds.

I no longer try to camp on a weekend in the summer at a popular place. Too many things to go wrong.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
2edgesword wrote:
I live on LI, NY so to go anywhere you have to deal with it. Once I'm done with the Long Island and Cross Bronx Expressways everything else is a piece of cake.

Haha Amen!

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:

My point is this:
I learned a long time ago if I don't enjoy something anymore, or it makes me miserable I give it up. Seriously. It's got to be bad for your health. Why do something that gives you anxiety and make you feel bad?

No "wiser" word has been given than this!

Couple of yrs ago I mentioned to my DW that I didn't know how much longer I was going to be able to drag a RV behind me. Traffic over the yrs has increased, lots of folks disrespectful of other motorists trying to cut in front of me and so on..

All that and at the time I was around 50..

The back story however is my job was very stressful with very short deadlines to get my job done, my commute was an hr each way (100 miles daily), I was up at 5AM to get to work on time at 7AM then get home by 4:30PM.. And that was when the weather was good or no one throws it away in a traffic accident making me late for work.. In the winter time I often had to get up at 4:30AM in order to plow the driveway to make sure my DW and DD and myself could get out of the driveway..

2 weeks ago, finally had enough of my job and left it.. Now considering myself semi retired and not really looking for another job.. Been the best thing I could have done!

Now I am looking forward to resetting my life and drag that trailer behind my vehicle next summer..

For the OP, there are other routes possible, I have never considered using I95 because I have talked to other folks who have mentioned it is a very heavily traveled high speed route..

If you were closer to the western side of PA, I would have suggested I79 to I19 to I77 and when you cross SC border you can take Route 9 East (9 is confusing as it meanders) towards the SC coast to MB (we have a bunch of turns to bypass some small towns on that road I can't remember off hand).

To use I79 South in PA, you would have to take PA Turnpike West or find a route that would get you across to it below PA.. Would add considerable amount of time and mileage from Reading PA you have listed on your profile.

onrecess
Explorer
Explorer
I drive my car way too fast. My RV, I try to keep it around 65, (I LOVE cruise control).
The least stressful way to drive, which I try to do in my RV and do in my car when it rains or in rush hour, is making no one want to blow by you and yank in front or almost sideswipe you as punishment. Get behind a semi or RV and leave a nice no stress safe space. No one will yank in front, as they don't want to be behind the semi ahead. I find rain and rush hour becomes calm and relaxed.
Oh, when I drove semis, in 1978, the KWs held 200 and 300 gallons. That's 800 (700 really) to 1200 (really 1100) miles at 4mpg if truck stops cooperate. That said, I drove out of Dallas to LA many times. The US MAil truck (Dal LA) drove 55. I, um, definitely did not. They had 600 gallon tanks, team drivers, brought food, and peed in bottles. I went like blazes, but stopped to eat, fuel once, and pee. Even a pee stop takes 15 minutes to a half hour. I arrived in LA with the large cars, but I'd pass that **** mail truck at least twice. Grrrr!
Tom Anderson
2005 GeorgieBoy 35

gtnsmlr
Explorer
Explorer
Yes they do, if you go read all the"how fast do you tow" threads you'll find The Who and why...
The older we get, the faster we go