cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 volt receptacles shorting 12 volt accessory charge cords

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2020 Jayco precept 34g gas motorhome with the ford f53 chassis and v10 engine. The coach has 3 12 volt dc outlets in the cockpit. So far while trying to charge GPS and TPMS monitor and not both at same time the charge cords shorted out. Also blew 12 volt cord for a sharper image seat cooler inline 6 amp fuse. Seat cooler was the only item plugged in at the time. Help!
19 REPLIES 19

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 2004 Bounder on a workhorse put bars on front and back it went from a white knuckle drive to sit back and drive with one hand made it great to drive

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had afront track bar put on my Workhorse.> BIG IMPROVEMENT

Truth. 2006 took two trips from Detroit to Las Vegas both times pulling the same 1992 Chevy lumina.. First trip Without the Track bar and steering stablizer. It was a RELIEF to park the Motor home and drive the Chevy (left on Jan 2)

2nd Trip (left day before Thanksgiving) when we got to LV man was that Lumina hard to drive... Same car, Same Motor home. Same driver.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
sssooo wrote:
I had a rear track bar put on my 2018 Bounder and it made it handle worse had it removed

Really? I test drove it in some tail winds after install and thought it helped a lot. I will be installing a safe T plus steering stabilizer in the front next.

sssooo
Explorer
Explorer
I had a rear track bar put on my 2018 Bounder and it made it handle worse had it removed

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alas radio shack is no more but you can still find electroinc parts if you shop around.

The circuit I built was built into a 12 volt Plug.

Tip went to a resistorm as I recall about 450 Ohms. and the other lead of the resistor to the tri-color LED. if you can not find a 2 lead Tri-Color get a red one and a green one... Connect the resistor to the short lead on one and the long lead on the other (or however the two leads are identified) DO NOT SOLDER (yet)

Connect the other lead to the "Ground" contact and again do not (yet) solder

Plug it in in to a known good outlet GREEN only.. Solder and finalize
RED. Swap the leads around and try again

now plug into the suspect outlet.. RED bad Green good.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
I have not heard of that in a long,,,, long...... long time (like 1970s)

I used to have a plug that contained just two parts. in fact I still do. One was a 2-lead tri-color LED and the other was a resistor..

IF you plugged it into a 12 volt accessory outlet that was properly wired GREEN
If you plugged it into one that was reverse wired RED
If it showed yellow.. Well that outlet had AC on it not DC (never happened)

This can be done with a volt meter.. I suggest a plug to binding posts for this.

but you can do it without

Using adapter Like this one hook meter black to black red to red and plug in read voltage

+13.6 (ending running) or 12.6 (Engine off) = Good
Negative voltage or 15+ volts = bad

Without the adapter it's a touch tricky
Black to SHELL and red to the center of the bottom of the outlet

That adapter however is how I'd do it

Side benefit. If you ever have to replace the plug on a 12 volt cord (just the plug not a plug/voltage converter like for your phone et-al) well this is real handy for that. Till you can get a proper crimp or solder on plug.

Thanks for the input. I recently had the motorhome in a local RV shop for a rear trac bar install and had them look into this. Told me is was wired in reverse and They fixed all 3 12 volt outlets. I have not tested them yet since I had to order more 12 volt charge chords for tpms monitor, GPS, and phone charger. Will definitely order this first. Appreciate the info.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not heard of that in a long,,,, long...... long time (like 1970s)

I used to have a plug that contained just two parts. in fact I still do. One was a 2-lead tri-color LED and the other was a resistor..

IF you plugged it into a 12 volt accessory outlet that was properly wired GREEN
If you plugged it into one that was reverse wired RED
If it showed yellow.. Well that outlet had AC on it not DC (never happened)

This can be done with a volt meter.. I suggest a plug to binding posts for this.
but you can do it without

Using adapter Like this one hook meter black to black red to red and plug in read voltage

+13.6 (ending running) or 12.6 (Engine off) = Good
Negative voltage or 15+ volts = bad

Without the adapter it's a touch tricky
Black to SHELL and red to the center of the bottom of the outlet

That adapter however is how I'd do it

Side benefit. If you ever have to replace the plug on a 12 volt cord (just the plug not a plug/voltage converter like for your phone et-al) well this is real handy for that. Till you can get a proper crimp or solder on plug.

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Test with a meter
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Poke your finger in the hole. If you screech like a small dog that got stepped on, its 120v. If you dont feel nada its reversed polarity.

(making jokes.....feel bad thats a brand new trailer. hope it gets fixed)

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had exactly the same problem because I had wired them backwards..."reverse polarity". Switched the 2 wires around and they work perfectly.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

MrWizard
Reverse polarity on 12v ?
Maybe
Most 12vdc would simply not work, except 12v fans would run backwards, and 12v incandescent interior RV lamps would light
Problem
The items mention use 5v internally
Reverse polarity would mess with voltage regulation on the circuit boards, creating overload conditions, If the device even turned on and worked
Did These incidents occur while parked
Are these outlets powered by RV 12v circuit?
Converter voltage could be Too High
Or
It could have A.C. voltage ripple in the DC output
Either way it would be a converter problem
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are only two reasons why you would experience what you are getting. One, the receptacles are not 12VDC and reverse polarity. I believe Doug has answered the reverse polarity issue which is more common than you think. Rarely will you find them wired with a 120VDC circuit. The plugs simply screw out and they're pretty easy to get to. Hold the outside part and unscrew the inside part. Use a meter to check voltage. Since you're experiencing the same issue with all three, it's in the wiring. If someone wired one wrong they wired all three wrong. Easy and cheap fix...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The Plugs are NOT Ford. So, I will bet the polarity of the plugs are reversed. THAT is why you are destroying the cords. The OUTER silver case is Negative and the inside rear is the positive. IF reversed, it is very easy to gain access on a Precept to reverse the spade terminals on the back of the receptacles. Also, KEEP the bad cords and receipts for them. Jayco will reimburse you thru your Jayco dealer. IF indeed it is reverse polarity. IF you fix it yourself, TAKE PICS of the reversed wiring and then when it is corrected. Doug