cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Light lenses

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is missing some of the light lenses and others were found to be cracked. I assume that this is from sides flexing? Anyone else experience this?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk
9 REPLIES 9

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
My 5th wheel is missing some of the light lenses and others were found to be cracked. I assume that this is from sides flexing? Anyone else experience this?

Sides won't flex and cause a lens to fall off.

I replace all of my marker lights with these sealed LED marker lights which don't have a lens to fall off /fade / discolor.

My last RV had them for 10.5 years and they still were to proper color, not faded like happens on other lights.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are talking about the side marker lenses and if they are the old style like mine are with incandescence bulbs.

Then you might as well get a couple of spare lenses and carry them with you.

They are cheap and fall off often for no real reason. You can glue them on but, the bulbs fail often too and then you can't change the bulb out. If it's not the bulbs then it is the socket getting weak and not holding the bulb tightly anymore. If it's not the socket getting weak then it's corrosion and a bad ground (they are grounded to the skin of the camper)

Dammed things are always broken in some way or the other. About 2-3 times a year I have to do a check and fiddle with them to keep them working.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
They can also discolor and get brittle from the heat from incandescent bulbs. Thank goodness those are gone. I had one develop a melted spot.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
DrewE wrote:
They can also crack from stuff hitting them (obviously) and from water sneaking in and freezing. Especially the cheap ones seem to be somewhat of a wear item that periodically need replacement.

I very much doubt it's due to the sides flexing; if they flexed that much, you'd be noticing that your RV's structure was made of something like wet noodles.

X2 just cheap lenses. Get some spares and change as needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Not from flex IMO. Replace all and seal well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
They can also crack from stuff hitting them (obviously) and from water sneaking in and freezing. Especially the cheap ones seem to be somewhat of a wear item that periodically need replacement.

I very much doubt it's due to the sides flexing; if they flexed that much, you'd be noticing that your RV's structure was made of something like wet noodles.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your sides are flexing enough to do this, you have a much bigger problem than lenses for running lights. The plastic in the lenses ages and degrades with exposure to UV light, but a 2018 rib seems a bit new for this to be the case.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've had some broken/cracked by hail over the years, but never heard of side flex causing it?? I've towed many miles in the extreme cold of Winter, with enclosed snowmobile trailers, with lots of LED side markers, and 4 large LED brake/tail lights, with no lens issue, often on rutted snow packed roads.

Jerry

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
no
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman