Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing queston

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,
I have been using compressed air to winterize for the last few seasons and prefer this method over antifreeze. This season though I used my fresh water tank and pump while boondocking a few times. Is there a method to get air flowing through the pump and related plumbing or do I need to run antifreeze through it? Thanks.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)
6 REPLIES 6

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You could blow air through the winterizing line but I'd also unscrew the pump strainer and empty it.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
wtmtnhiker wrote:
Thanks to all for the replies. I do have a bypass and will run a bit of AF through the pump to the toilet just to be safe.

I run air air through my lines, but I also use the winterization hose to run a small amount of AF through the pump too.

Here's how I do it.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wtmtnhiker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. I do have a bypass and will run a bit of AF through the pump to the toilet just to be safe.
bgbassman(bluegrass bass man)

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use air only and have been fine for these last 11 winters. Blow the lines then run your pump dry. Blow the lines again and all the water that came out of your pump will be blown out.

IF you have a bypass, putting some antifreeze in your water pump isn't a bad idea. I don't have one and have little usable space to install one. I follow the suggestions by my local Airstream dealer, air only. This is how they winterize all of their trailers and all of their customers trailers.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
You need to run antifreeze through it. I don't think air will pass through it like liquid will. Does your TT have a black tank flush? Don't forget to winterize that as well if you have one.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You could let the pump run dry for a minute or so, but IMO, it would be safest to run some pink through it. Pretty simple if you have a winterizing kit/hose attached. Pumping that little bit through the toilet line, would be a good choice.

Jerry