Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Advice on inverter size
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suppose my main question is will a lower watt inverter be more efficient?

Currently have a 400w inverter to power my laptop. Would like to power a TV and small sound system as well. I dont want to go too big. Also dont want to be lacking in power down the road.

What brand and size would you guys recommend? Power source is two 6v and theyre mounted on the tongue so doubt it will ever step up to 4 batteries.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How many watts each? Have you investigated Bluetooth battery speakers?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, smaller inverters are more efficient if they're decent quality and the fans don't run all the time. Seriously, the amount of current they use to do their jobs is so small that it's really not worth worrying about, unless you leave it on 24/7 for a couple weeks without charging your batteries.

400w should be fine, but the bottom line is to obtain the wattages of those devices first. And it should be pure sine.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Won't the 400w do all that? If it does not because it is limited by being plugged into a 12v socket like on a Winegard TV panel, then just switch to the clamps set of wires for the inverter instead of the 12v plug set, and clamp to the battery lugs on the DC fuse panel.

That gets you the power, but now you trip over it going to the fridge, so now add some #8 wire to the lugs and clamp to those and keep it all off the floor.

time2roll managed to get his inverter behind the converter and out of sight entirely doing it that way.

Use a power bar with its own on/off switch plugged into the inverter to plug the TV into. Turning off the TV still leaves it drawing some power in standby mode.

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis

Lone Pine, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 01:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Costs me 5 battery amp hours to run my 28 inch TV, signal booster and inverter for an hour.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So besides price and having to run thicker wires, is there a negative to installing a 2000w inverter that will mostly supply 200w of power?

Trying to be realistic if i would ever want to run a kitchen appliance without firing up the generator.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

So besides price and having to run thicker wires, is there a negative to installing a 2000w inverter that will mostly supply 200w of power?
No, and you don't even need thicker wire UNTIL you ask it for a thousand watts or so.

It's very nice to make coffee or toast with batteries instead of having to fire up a generator. Yes, I know there are another million ways to make coffee.

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also you never know. What if 10 swimsuit models walk by with their blender hoping for margaritas. Need to be prepared and i freakin hate tequilla. But willing to suffer [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Change nothing. Use the 400 watt inverter. Yes larger inverters have a higher idle draw and are less efficient when underutilized.

If you are really going 2000 watts you may need more battery too.

Just lead the girls over to my place and you will be welcome to stay and party.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will be fine with a 400 watt inverter but if you go bigger find a place inside but close to the batteries to place it.

We run a 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter to watch TV and power the laptop, but we also use it to power the microwave once in a awhile and the wife uses her hair drier in the morning.

BTW it's not hard to mount four batteries end to end on the trailer tongue.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.