Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Advice on inverter size
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wopachop wrote:

So besides price and having to run thicker wires, is there a negative to installing a 2000w inverter that will mostly supply 200w of power?
No, and you don't even need thicker wire UNTIL you ask it for a thousand watts or so.

It's very nice to make coffee or toast with batteries instead of having to fire up a generator. Yes, I know there are another million ways to make coffee.

We aren't cavemen and not everything has to be cooked over a flame. I'm your boat hit the switch on the coffeemaker or microwave and use batteries and solar. [emoticon]

12v 500ah (5,120Wh usable) , 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts) 2s4p. Panels mounted flat on the roof. Magnum PT100 controller, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you guys recommend brands to check out? If i went with a larger size i could mount it behind my distribution panel and use the existing 120v wiring to make some of the outlets hot.

I wasnt sure if you could categorize them roughly by common sizes. To help determine what would be a good fit. Maybe there are solid 1000w choices, then you move up to something to act like a regular 15 circuit in the 1800-2000 range? Then go even higher from there.

I think it would be nice to support 15 amps. Brew coffee on the non caveman days.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Samlex

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of those large inverters (and even some small one's) have a provision for an on/off switch. If you're concerned about power draw on the 2000W, just buy an on/off switch for it.

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Mena, where have you been? Or did they let you out early for good behaviour [emoticon]

We use this one. No trouble for over two years now. You can get the on/off remote for it (good idea) . We just leave it on the whole time we are off grid. Have the shore cord plugged into it (via adapter) and the converter turned off. Simple. Practise power management.

You can't stuff a big one behind places like a little one can go, because they need lots of cooling air around them. You need to mount the inverter close to the batteries too, so somewhere up front under whatever is against the front wall in the TT, so you have short fat wires out to the tongue where the batts are. (Drill hole in floor up front to pass the wires down and then up outside--do not drill through the front cap!)

I see they are out of stock for the moment--

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pmx-2000w-psw/

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get a 12 volt TV.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would try it before buying a larger inverter

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wopachop wrote:

I think it would be nice to support 15 amps. Brew coffee on the non caveman days.

15 amps X 120 volts = 1800 watts x 1.25% = 2250 watts rating for inverter.

Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a 300 Watt pure sine for the TV and Satellite receiver and it has never even kicked the fan on. For those that run the coffee pot and toaster from an inverter, it's going to take a lot longer to charge the battery than the 10 minutes the generator would be running to make coffee and toast.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fisherman wrote:

I use a 300 Watt pure sine for the TV and Satellite receiver and it has never even kicked the fan on. For those that run the coffee pot and toaster from an inverter, it's going to take a lot longer to charge the battery than the 10 minutes the generator would be running to make coffee and toast.

If you are off grid here in a provincial park, you can't run the gen until 9am. (At least that is the rule. There are always those that think the rules don't apply to them!) So for breakfast earlier than that, it is inverter for proper toast in a real toaster instead of that bread-burner stupid thing that goes on the propane stove top for maximum smoke--setting of the fire alarm and that makes the dogs bark--not cool [emoticon]

Once gen hours start you can recharge the batts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Advice on inverter size
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.