Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next
Monaramblee

Canada

Full Member

Joined: 05/18/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/20 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Closed border for us Canadians so we are staying put. There are options for Canadians to snowbird to the USA but none that allow rvs in. Canadians can fly to their snowbird destination and rent a car or have their car shipped.


2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

Senior Member

Joined: 08/02/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/31/20 06:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Monaramblee wrote:

Closed border for us Canadians so we are staying put. There are options for Canadians to snowbird to the USA but none that allow rvs in. Canadians can fly to their snowbird destination and rent a car or have their car shipped.


Not true. A friend is on his way south in his motorhome right now. He had his coach shipped across the border then flew over and started the drive.

Monaramblee

Canada

Full Member

Joined: 05/18/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/20 06:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Monaramblee wrote:

Closed border for us Canadians so we are staying put. There are options for Canadians to snowbird to the USA but none that allow rvs in. Canadians can fly to their snowbird destination and rent a car or have their car shipped.


Not true. A friend is on his way south in his motorhome right now. He had his coach shipped across the border then flew over and started the drive.


I wonder what the cost would be to ship a motorhome? Not interested in doing it just curious. We might consider traveling south if the border opens up later this winter if not then hopefully next winter. Cant give up on the dream....the pandemic will eventually end i hope.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/20 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People will do anything to try and get around the rules. It's still not sinking in. Staying put is of utmost importance. One starts to move they all start to move and then it's out of control.

Anybody who goes to all that trouble has no respect for government, rules or human life. Very sorry to hear the extremes people are going to.

Rvers are flooding across the Mexican border as well. The rules officially say "border closed" but the government refuses to enforce restrictions so the attitude is, "if I can get away with it, why not?".


2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

ProudCanuck42

calgary

New Member

Joined: 10/13/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/20 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

People will do anything to try and get around the rules. It's still not sinking in. Staying put is of utmost importance. One starts to move they all start to move and then it's out of control.

Anybody who goes to all that trouble has no respect for government, rules or human life. Very sorry to hear the extremes people are going to.

Rvers are flooding across the Mexican border as well. The rules officially say "border closed" but the government refuses to enforce restrictions so the attitude is, "if I can get away with it, why not?".


Very, very well said!!!

moisheh

North America

Senior Member

Joined: 05/04/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/31/20 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The unclosed border may change. The state of Chihuahua is lobbying the Feds to enforce the closing of borders. Do far this is falling on deaf ears. The fellow who shipped his motorhome is nuts. The cost is outrageous. If an American complains they could sieze his unit. If he enters Mexico the USA will not let him return

Reisender

NA

Senior Member

Joined: 12/09/2018

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/31/20 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ProudCanuck42 wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

People will do anything to try and get around the rules. It's still not sinking in. Staying put is of utmost importance. One starts to move they all start to move and then it's out of control.

Anybody who goes to all that trouble has no respect for government, rules or human life. Very sorry to hear the extremes people are going to.

Rvers are flooding across the Mexican border as well. The rules officially say "border closed" but the government refuses to enforce restrictions so the attitude is, "if I can get away with it, why not?".


Very, very well said!!!


Yepir

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

Senior Member

Joined: 09/17/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/20 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

moisheh wrote:

The unclosed border may change. The state of Chihuahua is lobbying the Feds to enforce the closing of borders. Do far this is falling on deaf ears. The fellow who shipped his motorhome is nuts. The cost is outrageous. If an American complains they could sieze his unit. If he enters Mexico the USA will not let him return


The Secretary of State, Marcelo Ebrard, said they would not enforce a complete closure because it affects the economy. What a louse. I too would like to be out galavanting around but we all have to participate or it won't work.

Yep, good luck getting a Canadian rv in Mexico back into the states anytime soon unless you can prove you've been waiting this out.

NoVa RT

Northern Virginia

Senior Member

Joined: 08/28/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/20 02:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not officially a snowbird, but have gone to Florida for Spring Training baseball the last 6 years. Started out going for ~ a week, and expanded to ~ a month, before last year was cut short when MLB canceled the remaining games about halfway through. The County park campground I use reopened October 1, and MLB has posted a full 2021 Spring Training schedule, although tickets haven’t gone on sale yet. I expect them to wait as long as possible before making a decision, but wouldn’t expect full-capacity for spectators. Some local-government-owned Spring Training sites have posted plans for allowing some socially-distanced spectators. Got a full refund on tickets & campground last year when everything closed, so money probably not an issue. In theory, being cautious and self-contained should provide about the same protection there or at home, but we’ll see how it looks when I have to make a decision. Best case scenario is probably 3 weeks starting in the 2nd week of March; worst case is MLB and/or Florida never allowing spectators, taking the decision out of my hands. That’s 5 months away, a lot could happen, but late November or early December might be crunch time for deciding.


2013 RT 190-Popular


Bowti

Wisconsin

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/02/20 08:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We always reserve our spot a year in advance, so when we left Florida last year at the end of March we were all set for this year. Our first thoughts early on were that things would not be too bad and the country would beat this thing. Then as it got worse it was, well the vaccine will be out and we will be OK. Now, that thinks are worse than ever, with no vaccine out yet, we are thinking that staying home might be the best for us. We have many people around us that have been careful and don't know how they got it. Scary stuff going on in Wisconsin.


2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 14  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

 > Any one else giving up snow birding due to the covid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.