cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New York to Florida tips

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving in a few days from NY and meandering down to Fla. Plan on taking Skyline Dr in VA and Blue Ridge Pkwy to Asheville NC then south to FL kn 441. Looking for camping and sightseeing tips along the way. Trying to avoid high price campgrounds and rig set up to boondock also.I do use my passport America card quite a bit. Plan 2-3 weeks to get to Fl. Also if any one has any recommendations as far as where to store my rv anywhere from Ft. Pierce to West Palm beach I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thank you all.
7 REPLIES 7

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for suggestions. They gave been duly noted

Mayor30
Explorer
Explorer
There are several campgrounds along the parkway,none have hookups. I would recommend getting a space early in the afternoon. There are also some good campgrounds not far off the parkway. One is Sherando Lake. The other is Goose Point.Both have electric. Not sure how late they are open.South Carolina State Parks used to be fairly cheap. We paid $18 a night 5 years ago for water and electric hookup. Not sure what they cost now.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Our favorite Asheville area campground is the Lake Powhatan Recreation Area in the Pisgah National Forest. The mis-named "Lakeside Loop" has full hookup sites.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Departing from western NY. Not concerned with sights or routes in NY. Just want to get away from the cold weather, then slow down and enjoy trip. Looking for any recommendations along or close to Skyline Pkwy or Blue Ridge Pkwy to boondock.

rav
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Fancy Gap campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway, its a short drive to the Blue Ridge Music Center. Watch clearances on the Blue Ridge.
We just spent 3 nights in Asheville at Wilsons, noisy with the highway but right on a the bike trail

ssthrd
Explorer
Explorer
The Outer Banks was awesome in my opinion. Wright brothers first flight at Kill Devil Hills, endless sandy beach, Cape Hatteras lighthouse, flight on an open cockpit WW2 biplane at Dare airport, ride on the coolest ferry ride anywhere from Hatteras to Ocracoke, and so much more. We will definitely be back.

It was heartbreaking when we were there soon after Matthew went by to see the damage caused by the storm. People on the Left Coast talk about Pacific storms which can be awesome, but do not compare to getting pounded by an Atlantic hurricane year after year.
2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2013 Palomino Maverick 2902
2018 GMC 3500HD, 4x4, 6.5' box, SRW, Denali, Duramax, Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

The hurrier I go the behinder I get. (Lewis Carroll)

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
JR,

You didn't include your departure point and NY is a big area. I normally would have said that Skyline and Blue Ridge are kind of a diversion. While not a bad diversion and if your starting point is well west of the Hudson, it might not be much of a diversion at all.

Do be aware that some of the tunnels of the Blue Ridge are kind of low clearance. If you are leaving soon, be aware that the southern leaf peepers will be out in force.

We did that run from Cherokee to Front Royal and didn't pay to camp anywhere.

That was 10 years ago and we need to do it again.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.