cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12 Volt/120 Volt Portable Air Compressor

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
For years, I have carried one of the those cheap and small Kobalt 12 Volt/120 Volt air compressors. Lately, it has been overheating the thermal protection switch trips so I have to wait for it to cool down between uses. Can anyone recommend a good quality compact air compressor that can air up 80 PSI tires? I would like a dual supply power like the Kobalt has and a compact size like the Kobalt. I do have the generator to supply 120 volts if needed, but I like being able to use the battery in some situations. May be a 120 to 150 PSI max range? Thanks!
2021 Entegra Odyssey 24B Class C on Ford E-450 Chassis with 7.3L V8
15 REPLIES 15

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
My Viair arrived the other day, they are big and heavy. I tried it out and was impressed. Since we have a short Class C, I was able to fill all of the tires using only one of the hoses supplied. I connected the compressor to one of the coach batteries, since the chassis battery in under the floorboard. It took about 3 minutes each tire to fill an additional 10 pounds. The compressor does get hot, as they all do, so I left it cool down before I packed it up again. I like the screw on hose end inflator. You don't have to hold the inflator on the tire and also squeeze the handle on the air gun at the same time. I had minimal air loss when I unscrewed the inflator hose, but my valve stems are pretty well positioned and accessible. I have had other rigs where the valve stems were shorter or poorly angled which could cause some problems due to the size of the screw-on inflator. A longer or better angled extension would help here.

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

Forget 12 volt compressors. IMO, those are for inflating your kids air mattresses or your bike tires, not your RV tires. If you want to be happy, get a 120 volt pancake style compressor.

Chum lee

The Viairs are heavy duty and more than capable of airing up RV tires. My Viair 400 weighs 11 pounds and draws up to 30 amps. However they are expensive and don't have a tank so aren't any good for air tools. I went with one because a pancake compressor takes up more room than I want to give up for a compressor.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Chum lee wrote:

Forget 12 volt compressors. IMO, those are for inflating your kids air mattresses or your bike tires, not your RV tires. If you want to be happy, get a 120 volt pancake style compressor.

Chum lee

True for the cheapies they sell at the big box stores, but the Viair offerings are head and shoulders above those water toy inflators. They won't run an impact, and they take longer to air up a tire, but if you want/need to have air where there's no 120V, they're the only way to go.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
You have a class C with generator and storage room. If you want something that is going to air up tires, multiple tires and not break the bank, the best bang for buck and duty cycle is a 120V pancake compressor or similar.
Not sure how it lately "always shuts down in thermal mode". I cannot see needing to adjust pressure or air up tires on the same motorhome more than very occasionally. But for whatever reason if you're using alot of air, either spend $300 on a good Viair 12V that will work forever, but be slow, or get something that will put out some decent cfm at higher pressures.
Personally I can't handle spending more than about 2 minutes per tire airing up from say 40psi to 80psi. But I'm not retired and looking for a way to kill a couple hours rotating the air in my tires...

Chum lee

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 400P RVS today. Had a bit of a problem finding one in stock. Tried Amazon, but some I
of the options were a little misleading. Models matched, put the part numbers didn’t match up. Be careful.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
$99 for a 120V pancake compressor that puts out close to 3cfm at 80psi vs $200+ for a Viair 400 that puts out less than 1.5cfm at 80psi.
And you can run air tools off the pancake 120V. + $400 for a decent cordless 1/2"impact wrench for changing tires, etc vs $100-150 for a good air powered impact.

All in what you want out of your system. The ultimate in small packaging and convenience for doble the $ or more. Or much better capability and versatility for less than half the cost at the expense of storing something the size of a baby weber bbq.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You have a class C with generator and storage room. If you want something that is going to air up tires, multiple tires and not break the bank, the best bang for buck and duty cycle is a 120V pancake compressor or similar.
Not sure how it lately "always shuts down in thermal mode". I cannot see needing to adjust pressure or air up tires on the same motorhome more than very occasionally. But for whatever reason if you're using alot of air, either spend $300 on a good Viair 12V that will work forever, but be slow, or get something that will put out some decent cfm at higher pressures.
Personally I can't handle spending more than about 2 minutes per tire airing up from say 40psi to 80psi. But I'm not retired and looking for a way to kill a couple hours rotating the air in my tires...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
4X Viair. They actually work on high pressure tires
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Another happy ViAir owner here. It stays in my truck full time. My son the mechanical engineer was so impressed with it, he got one too.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
My Viair 400P airs up my truck and trailer tires to 80PSI no problem. Strictly 12V though, no 120V option. Can draw up to 30 amps as well.

When we are staying somewhere for an extended period I drop the rears on my truck down to 50 PSI. The Viair has no problem getting them back up to 80 in a few minutes.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
3 X on the Viair!!

Scott_M
Explorer
Explorer
I had see the Viair brand but had not been able to find any real reviews. I had not seen the Tirewell brand. I will dig further into each recommendation. We have a Class C and have a generator, so 120V AC was an option. I had also considered.a pancake compressor, but lack storage for it.

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
2 X on the Viair.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Viair is the brand. Extremely well built and reliable.

I'll recommend one that hooks up to the battery rather than the cigarette lighter/charging thing.

Go to Viair dot com, they have lots of different models. Choose one based on the PSI you want, etc.

Also sold on amazon dot com.