cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New RVer with some diesel fuel issues.

Iwall8023
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a diesel pusher 2 months ago. The day I bought it I had the oil and fuel filters changed. Took first long trip last week. All was going great that I started having issues. It initially felt like transmission issues. I was getting check engine light and had no power. Started wondering about fuel. I limped to the gas station. I filled it up. I seemed to have full power after. I left. An hour later, it came back. I kept going because engine gauges were fine. It self corrected. I made it to our site. I started researching and learned about diesel and algae. I purchased some treatment and put in the tank. The morning we left, I went straight to a Lovesโ€™s. I had them drain the bottom of the tank a bit. Didnโ€™t see anything bad come out. I had them replace the fuel filter and the fuel/water separated. There was not an additional filter as some point out. These filters were only a month old with about 200 miles on them. The fuel water separator has some black chunks. I left, 1 hour in it started again. I was right at an exit and stopped at Loves to try and read the check engine light. Their pc said there were codes but the database was not able to identify it. I put fuel in with the appropriate mix of treatment. I left, and couldnโ€™t even get out of the lot faster than 15mph. I was driving down the road trying to figure out where to turn around and it just went away. I decided to get on the road. I drove 6 hours without an issue. Came home, unpacked and took it to storage. On the way up it started again. It didnโ€™t go away before I arrived but the other three times it self corrected. I decided to run a camera into the tank and look. Before even getting to the tank, I found the filler necks are totally disgusting. Now I am not even sure what to do next. Do I replace the necks or can they be cleaned. If the fillers are bad, what about the tank and other hoses. Not even sure what to do now. Made appointment with Freightliner, but canโ€™t get in for over a month.
11 REPLIES 11

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Millions of miles driving my own trucks; Always carried couple sets of fuel filters, wrench, and oil jug full of clean fuel.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
True Story.. Friend of mine has a lovely 25+ year old Blue Bird RV.
A few years back he had issues first with his generator than with the main engine.. Called a service guy who found nothing.

Finally I pointed out the Pre-Filter (This unit has two fuel filters) and upon inspection it was covered with "Black Chunks" (Algae) and after a bottle of Algecide. VAROOM he was good to go.

Sounds like the same issue to me.. That said I'm not the diesel expert. in fact that is just about the limit of my knowledge. My brother on the other hand is an expert ๐Ÿ™‚

Hopefully the algae treatment will fix you up but you may need to replace the filters a few more times. i'd carry spare(s) for now.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard

Fuel neck picture
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

KCFDCapt
Explorer
Explorer
You stated you have a 2005 Meridian 39f. You didn't say which engine you have. My Meridian 39K has a Cat. It has the fuel filter/water separator in the rear compartment where you can check the oil and water level. It has another fuel filter located on the engine, passenger side, towards the front of the engine, under the intake manifold. All these directions reference sitting in the drivers seat facing forward. Now the fun. To access the fuel filter on the engine, you must remove the steps at the foot of the bed. There are 4 screws holding the cover/steps in place. Once the steps are removed you can locate the secondary filter. I installed the Cat mechanical priming pump when I first changed my secondary fuel filter. If your motor is a Cat, call Cat with your engine serial number and they can provide you with the proper fuel filter.

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
The good news is you have found the problem and it is minor.
With the right cleaning you should be back on the road.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Algae and other water-related contamination of diesel fuel is a common problem on boats, so I'd second having a marine fuel-polishing service give it a go. And if the fuel has those issues, expect to have to replace the fuel filter frequently. Keeping that gunk from fouling your fuel injectors, which can be very expensive, is why there is a fuel filter in the first place.

Iwall8023
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I have been researching fuel polishing. I will check that out. The RV is right by the lake.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Suggest you contact a marine service for fuel polishing. There should be a company on Lake Lanier that can clean your fuel,tanks and filler tubes.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

Iwall8023
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see what I can do. Didnโ€™t like these links.

Iwall8023
Explorer
Explorer
The rig is a 2005 Itasca Meridian 39f. There is only one filter. I called and confirmed with Winnebago. They were switching between 1 and 2 at this time. The fill necks can be replaced but not sure if available anymore. I saw some on eBay. Just wondering if the necks can be cleaned or if they stay this way or need to be replaced some how.

***Link Removed***

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Tell us what coach and engine you have
Was you looking for 3 fuel filters ? That's how it sounded but all I have
seen is 2 filters , primary and secondary . If you have crud in the tank it
can clog the primary fairly quick so that's the one I would replace when it
acts up until it cures it or you find another problem . I don't think the
crud hides on the bottom , it lurks at different levels .
Startron makes a product for diesel that is supposed to digest the crud in
diesel , you could try that along with Biobor (sp) to stop crud from forming .

The fill necks on my Monaco are not replaceable . When you say the fill necks
are disgusting , inside , outside or ?

The tank should have a vent tube on top , make sure it is clear .
You don't want a vacuum forming in the tank .
Did you hear air rush in when removing the fuel cap ? That would be after
driving for awhile .