cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pigtail not fitting....

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a new tow vehicle (same make/model as our former TV, just younger) and the trailer's pigtail won't seat firmly into the socket on the truck. It's a 'blade' set of pins and the amount of pins and location of them are all matching and the pigtail goes in just fine but no amount of jiggling or pushing makes it go all the way in. We've tried a little WD-40 and that didn't make any difference. The plug cover (which is hinged to pull upon in a downward fashion) has a plug 'stop' that braces up against the pigtail in the right place but doesn't hold it securely at all. A few jiggles down the road and I'm sure this thing will disconnect. A search yields up that many people have the same issue and just use small bungee cords to secure the pigtail to the plug-cover where the 'stop' is. Not sure that this is the best answer. Do we need to replace the pigtail so that we get a secure/full seat on it when plugged into the new truck or is this as good as it's going to get?
Wendy & Darrell
2014 Cougar Half-Ton 21RBSWE
2020 Ford F150
14 REPLIES 14

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
carringb wrote:
I've run into this with a couple trailers. Looking into my socket, I could see where the blades were contacting the edges of the blade-receptacles in the pigtail. Just a very slight nudge to the blades using a screwdriver was all it took to line things up. Note: One time I really tried smashing it in there, and it bent over one of the blades. That one took a bent pick to straighten it.

That's true. I've even found that the right amount of strategic wiggling will let the plug fit.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
I've run into this with a couple trailers. Looking into my socket, I could see where the blades were contacting the edges of the blade-receptacles in the pigtail. Just a very slight nudge to the blades using a screwdriver was all it took to line things up. Note: One time I really tried smashing it in there, and it bent over one of the blades. That one took a bent pick to straighten it.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck is a 2020 Ford F150 and has this same plug (see photo above posted by mkirsch). While looking thru the owner's manual last night I found the plug's part number so now we're going to check it against the pigtail itself. They look identical to the naked eye but maybe they are just a smidge different that we don't easily see. I'm thinking we'll probably need a new pigtail, but at least that's an easy fix.
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
TheBeans wrote:
Lots of great advice here---thank you, everyone! We really didn't like the whole bungie-and-a-prayer idea so we're glad to see there are other things we can do first! I'll keep you posted if we run into other problems as we try to get this resolved.

Test fit the new plug first before you cut the old one off the trailer.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
opnspaces wrote:
I've never seen an outlet where the door swings down. Are you sure it's not upside down on the bumper?

All 2014 and up Chevy Silverado trucks with factory wiring have a door that swings down. The trailer receptacle is a combination 7-pin and 4-pin unit, with a hinged door in the middle. The 7-pin door swings down, and the 4-pin door swings up.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
TheBeans wrote:
The plug cover (which is hinged to pull upon in a downward fashion) has a plug 'stop' that braces up against the pigtail in the right place but doesn't hold it securely at all. A few jiggles down the road and I'm sure this thing will disconnect.

I've never seen an outlet where the door swings down. Are you sure it's not upside down on the bumper?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
TheBeans wrote:
We just purchased a new tow vehicle (same make/model as our former TV, just younger) and the trailer's pigtail won't seat firmly into the socket on the truck. It's a 'blade' set of pins and the amount of pins and location of them are all matching and the pigtail goes in just fine but no amount of jiggling or pushing makes it go all the way in. We've tried a little WD-40 and that didn't make any difference. The plug cover (which is hinged to pull upon in a downward fashion) has a plug 'stop' that braces up against the pigtail in the right place but doesn't hold it securely at all. A few jiggles down the road and I'm sure this thing will disconnect. A search yields up that many people have the same issue and just use small bungee cords to secure the pigtail to the plug-cover where the 'stop' is. Not sure that this is the best answer. Do we need to replace the pigtail so that we get a secure/full seat on it when plugged into the new truck or is this as good as it's going to get?

If it worked fine in your old truck, I would be suspecting the newer truck and its trailer plug connector. Make sure the blades are on the proper side of the socket in the bumper, might just be a very small amount of adjustment needed.

TheBeans
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great advice here---thank you, everyone! We really didn't like the whole bungie-and-a-prayer idea so we're glad to see there are other things we can do first! I'll keep you posted if we run into other problems as we try to get this resolved.
Wendy & Darrell
2020 Ford F150

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look on the Cover on the truck receptacle.
Then buy same brand 7 pin plug for your umbilical cord and swap plugs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Search images on the web to find the correct plugs. It sounds like these are not a match.

Once you find the correct match, go spend $10-15 for the correct plug and wire it up. You can find the wiring diagrams online and it's pretty simple.

A bungy cord and a prayer are not a good solution.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
New vehicle? I would consider taking it back to the dealer and see what they think.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
First do not use WD40!
Not all connectors are interchangeable. The protective cover on many hold the connector in place.
Make and model of truck?
Some new rigs use somewhat of an adapter connecting the truck wiring to trailer connector. If equipped, insure the adapter is seated and the retainers are in place.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fix it once..right. New pig tail IMO. I did that when I purchased new truck. Slides in easily and is secure.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad