cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Coleman AC

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes this Ac starts and runs right but sometimes starting amps go up to high and it will kick the breaker. Wanted advice on if it could be the capacitors or the compressor going out. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I need a new Ac.

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers. Iโ€™ll let you know what I find.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
RV AC seems to have a tremendous amount of misinformation on the net. I am no expert either and can only relate my experience and opinion.

41 amps. It takes decent equipment to measure the starting amps of an AC. The 41 may be right or close enough. AC has 2 amp measurements running amps and LRA locked rotor amps. A very brief less than a second amp surge from the start capacitor to kick start the compressor. inexpensive meters will not measure the LRA accurately or at all!

Need a meter that can measure farads to actually measure the health of the capacitor. Can be good but not good enough, like a weak battery. Be cautious with capacitors they can produce enough voltage to kill!

Tough call, circuit breakers can and do get weak, go bad. Capacitors can get weak. Compressor may need a hard start. No idea how to test a breaker? I can test capacitor.

cheapest easiest option is replace breaker and hope!

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
Kpackpackkelley wrote:
I donโ€™t know enough to make a decision. Donโ€™t want to spend the money on capacitors and it is the compressor going out thanks.
I had a clamp on meter on it and sometimes it would go up to 41 amps and kick the breaker. But other times I cut it on it would act normal and run right.

41 amps is too high on a 15 amp circuit breaker. It could be capacitor or compressor. Could be a loose spade connector on the cap or compressor.
You have to take a look at it anyway so you can get the capacitor specs so do a visual on the cap, wires and spade connectors.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
First thing I'd do is replace the circuit breaker, it's an easy first step.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have same issue on one A/C New cap did not fix.
I will never know what it is because the Rig was clipped by a semi. Not a lot of damage but Insurance says "Totaled" so.. I've been a bit worried about my ability to continue the RV life.. Insurance gets it soon as I get it cleaned out and now it is THEIR problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine did the same. Capacitors solved problem.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Kpackpackkelley
Explorer
Explorer
I donโ€™t know enough to make a decision. Donโ€™t want to spend the money on capacitors and it is the compressor going out thanks.
I had a clamp on meter on it and sometimes it would go up to 41 amps and kick the breaker. But other times I cut it on it would act normal and run right.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it easily could be. It is not, however, a given. Capacitors do age out.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.