cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane Coffee Pot

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Always looking for ways to economize, get more efficient, etc., and wondered about others' experience with using a propane-based coffee pot... I think Coleman makes one... you use a burner on the propane stove to heat it up, and I'm given to understand it makes a pretty decent cup of coffee...

Anyone have experience with this, or another method?

I've been taking the Keurig from home and using that, but it's big and bulky, runs on 110, requires safe storage while in motion, and, when boondocking, would probably eat up more juice than propane... besides, I only have a cup or two in the mornings, and have some teabag-type coffee singles from, I think, Folgers, and that's not bad either...
19 REPLIES 19

Dennis58
Explorer
Explorer
A propane-based coffee pot is a coffee percolator and dates back to 1819 where it was invented by the Parisian tinsmith Joseph-Henry-Marie Laurens.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
obiwancanoli wrote:
Always looking for ways to economize, get more efficient, etc., and wondered about others' experience with using a propane-based coffee pot... I think Coleman makes one... you use a burner on the propane stove to heat it up, and I'm given to understand it makes a pretty decent cup of coffee...

Anyone have experience with this, or another method?

I've been taking the Keurig from home and using that, but it's big and bulky, runs on 110, requires safe storage while in motion, and, when boondocking, would probably eat up more juice than propane... besides, I only have a cup or two in the mornings, and have some teabag-type coffee singles from, I think, Folgers, and that's not bad either...

Stove top percolator is likely the proper term. For my trailer I use a Vintage Pre-1967 Revere Ware Percolator. I also have two of the Pyrex Glass percolators for fun at home. They make great coffee. My experience is: For a 6 cup pot of coffee, use a lightly rounded 1/2 cup measure. Bring the water to a boil, as soon as it starts to perc turn it down(or it will boil over)as low as you can but continues to perc steadily. Let it perc for six minutes and you will have amazing coffee. If you perc more than six minutes you run the risk of the coffee starting to taste burnt. Percolating longer is not the best way to make it stronger, more coffee is the answer. I find that Duncan Donuts Original blend makes a nice cup.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
D.E.Bishop wrote:
I have used a percolator, the Folgers T-bags, french press, cone shaped Malita drip through type and on and on, now I use either my Cuppa Joe or my 12 volt Keurig(ask how I got that).

All are very good by the way.

Yup French press and Malita make a nice cup of coffee too
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
NRALIFR wrote:
This is my propane coffee pot. Iโ€™ve had it for years, love to watch it brew.

:):)

I have two of those Pyrex percolators. They make great coffee.
V-465

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
Diamond c wrote:
We drink a lot of coffee and take a 12 cup drip coffee maker. Years ago when we tent camped we took a stainless perk pot and used it on the open fire. Very good coffee if your not in a hurry, but hey your camping so whoโ€™s in a hurry.

Depends on whether or not you're talking about that FIRST cuppa coffee in the morning... a crisp morning, dewey, a bit misty, a little foggy... gimme gimme gimme!

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we dry park, I just use a simple Melita. Heat water in a kettle, pour over the Melita with the filter and coffee in the "funnel". Quick and good, don't need to watch percolate.

dccamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Coleman drip coffeemaker that sits on the stovetop. Just be aware a pot of coffee take about 20-25 minutes to brew.

Explorer II
Explorer II
We use a french press and a pot to boil the water in. It's a bit time consuming but makes a great cup of coffee
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.amazon.com/Farberware-Classic-Stainless-Yosemite-Percolator/dp/B00005NCWQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=stovetop+coffee+maker&qid=1603067965&sr=8-3
Never used it but seems good and not expensive. I do have a aluminum esspresso maker i use for non ellectric site coffee. This looks better. And can be used at home for power failures. Lol.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I have used a percolator, the Folgers T-bags, french press, cone shaped Malita drip through type and on and on, now I use either my Cuppa Joe or my 12 volt Keurig(ask how I got that).

All are very good by the way.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We drink a lot of coffee and take a 12 cup drip coffee maker. Years ago when we tent camped we took a stainless perk pot and used it on the open fire. Very good coffee if your not in a hurry, but hey your camping so whoโ€™s in a hurry.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I go retro when camping and use a stovetop percolating tin metal pot just like Mom and Dad did.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
This is my propane coffee pot. Iโ€™ve had it for years, love to watch it brew.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
We've been using a stove-top percolator on the propane cook top in the RV for years, one of the stainless steel ones. The secret is to use one of these Gormay wrap-around coffee filters clicky. Note the 100 pack is not wrap-around, pick the 24 pack.

For the record, a pack is 99 cents, but I have seen these very same filters listed on Amazon for $15 to $20 per pack. Think about THAT for a bit.