Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

The problem is not hitting a small branch. The problem is hitting a tree. The problem is not hitting a traffic cone but something like a guardrail.
The wheels of your wide trailer will be considerably outside the path of your tow vehicle.

I don't expect trees to be growing in the middle of the road. Keep in mind, we are talking 3". My trailer is only 3" wider on each side than an 8' trailer. My mirrors extend beyond the width of the trailer. To hit a tree, my mirrors would have hit first. Secondly, if I am driving through something so narrow I am afraid to hit, I will probably be driving a .1mph [emoticon]

I don't know what the comparison between my vehicle wheel width and the trailer width have to do with each other?

I checked the 2021 Arctic Fox brochure. All but two models in their lineup are 8.5' wide. The manufacturers assumption must be is that the 8.5' width is fine. If it is fine for a 40' trailer, my 22' trailer should be better yet.

Not sure how this conversation digressed from knowing the best mirror width to a concern the trailer was too wide to go down the highways and byways?

Step 'N' Wolf
Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Arctic Fox 22GQ
Land of Enchantment

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/20 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seon wrote:

Although with my side mirrors I can see 200' behind, however, I decided to order a rear wireless camera that'll be mounted on the back of my trailer. This way I'll be able to see if I'm hindering traffic on a two lane country road and if so I can use the pull-out area for them to pass.

Because I wanted a camera for parking the trailer and knowing what is behind, I ordered one which arrived the day I left. I brought it with me, but didn't think I would get it installed while on the trip to pick up the trailer.

I got a model that handles 4 cameras so later I can add side cameras to augment the back camera.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stepnwolf wrote:

Quote:

For clarity, it means you have to be able to see from you all the way to 200' back behind you.

Probably best stated in the NM paragraph "...a mirror so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway from a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle."

That is still open for interpetation as you can't see the full width behind the trailer as the trailer itself blocks what is right behind it unless you have a camera to fill that gap. Depending on how much wider the mirrors are than the trailer will determine what that angle of the view you are able to see. For instance, a person on a motorcycle won't be seen for quite some distance behind the trailer and hopefully a motorcyclist knows that and won't hide in the blind area.

Nope, no interpretation necessary. Perfectly clear. The wider the mirrors, the closer you can see a “vehicle” behind you. “At least” 200’ means you’re not required to be able to see a vehicle closer than 200’ behind.
But leave it to rvnet members to mind fork an uninspiring topic like mirrors! Lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

GDS-3950BH

DC

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

GDS-3950BH wrote:

propchef wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

It's not likely to come up, but mirrors that don't comply with the law (or common sense even) might just attract unwanted attention, such LEO, your insurance co. or a lawyer, in case anything ever went wrong, or someone was having a bad day.

Also, bear in mind, mirrors are an 'equipment' requirement and as such are NOT covered by reciprocity, you must comply with each state you drive in.

Mirrors used for rear viewing are specifically "safety equipment" and not just "assist equipment" like a back-up camera. As such, any safety equipment (headlights fall under this as well) comes under federal jurisdiction and the DOT and they won't differ from state to state. It's interesting to note that a passenger side-view mirror is not required unless the inside rearview mirror is obscured or blocked. https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/tp-111-v01-final_tag.pdf

The move among manufacturers now is to switch to a camera system for all rear viewing and eliminate mirrors completely.

"Also, bear in mind, mirrors are an 'equipment' requirement and as such are NOT covered by reciprocity, you must comply with each state you drive in."

Oh ****, now when you cross state lines you need to pull out a rulebook and may need to swap out your mirrors for a different type of design. Who enforces this? The reflection Police?

Propchef, you’re only partly correct. Mirrors are a Federal DOT item, however, the trailer, and being able to see around it or not is a State matter.

GDS, it’s not complicated, you just have to do what the rest of the world does, use your brain and plan ahead.

Air brakes on a larger coach is another issue, being legal at home doesn’t mean you are when you cross into another jurisdiction. A friend found that out the hard way.

From what I have seen lately based on new TT owners who ran out and bought travel trailers due to being scared to fly to Disney or go on a cruise because of Covid, they just tow with the stock mirrors no matter what they are. It really does not matter illegal or not when you also are into the habit of running red lights and towing 30' TTs with mid size SUVs at 85mph in 50mph work zones lined with jersey barriers lol.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stepnwolf, glad you found a solution. I pull an 8.5 ft width trailer with my Tundra. Years ago I towed a smaller trailer with a 4Runner and had to get some tow mirrors. I went with some Cipa mirrors and hated them. Of course, to be fair, this was many years ago so I have no reason to doubt what others say about the new ones today.

I went with OE tow mirrors from Toyota. I really like them. They have two mirrors on each side, a large one that is adjustable from inside and a shorter fixed one for a wide angle look. I can see down the sides of the trailer and really have good visibility when it comes to changing lanes. I can see 200 ft. behind the trailer but what I can't see is anyone who pulls up close. I leave the curtains pulled so I can see through the trailer but not all the clearly. If a police car turns on the lights, I will be able to see that. [emoticon]

I prefer the OE mirrors mainly because I don't like the idea of having to add on a mirror before a trip. Over time my 4Runner showed some scratches and nicks where the mirrors were put on then taken off, then put then taken off.....then.....

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/20 12:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

Stepnwolf, glad you found a solution. I pull an 8.5 ft width trailer with my Tundra. Years ago I towed a smaller trailer with a 4Runner and had to get some tow mirrors. I went with some Cipa mirrors and hated them. Of course, to be fair, this was many years ago so I have no reason to doubt what others say about the new ones today.

I went with OE tow mirrors from Toyota. I really like them. They have two mirrors on each side, a large one that is adjustable from inside and a shorter fixed one for a wide angle look. I can see down the sides of the trailer and really have good visibility when it comes to changing lanes. I can see 200 ft. behind the trailer but what I can't see is anyone who pulls up close. I leave the curtains pulled so I can see through the trailer but not all the clearly. If a police car turns on the lights, I will be able to see that. [emoticon]

I prefer the OE mirrors mainly because I don't like the idea of having to add on a mirror before a trip. Over time my 4Runner showed some scratches and nicks where the mirrors were put on then taken off, then put then taken off.....then.....

I am still getting accustomed to driving the much wider Sequoia vs. the 4Runner. I already hit the stock mirrors on a post at a drive-through. The Toyota towing mirrors stick out further than the stock mirrors even in their "in" position.

I see there are several brands of aftermarket mirrors that look like the factory ones. Perhaps I can find factory mirrors in the junkyard, although I don't know how many vehicles came with them in the first place.

Thanks

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/20 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a big TV and a big trailer. You will get used to it. I did find this when looking for your vehicle.

Tow Mirrors

I was not sure about the year of your Toyota but they have some options here.

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

You have a big TV and a big trailer. You will get used to it. I did find this when looking for your vehicle.

Tow Mirrors

I was not sure about the year of your Toyota but they have some options here.

Seems those same mirrors are sold by a variety of vendors with a number of different names and model numbers. They appears to be the same as sold by Tow Mirrors Amazon.

They extend 2" and I have seen another model that extends 3:.

Thanks

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/20 05:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Late to the thread, I have been using the McKesh Mirrors for 13 yrs. once they are set up, they come off super easy and fast, no adjusting again. My tt is 8' wide and I see square down the sides of my trailer while towing. Lots of extension left on the mirrows if I were to need to use it. I have never noticed any vibration while towing.

https://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/20 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

[image]

Late to the thread, I have been using the McKesh Mirrors for 13 yrs. once they are set up, they come off super easy and fast, no adjusting again. My tt is 8' wide and I see square down the sides of my trailer while towing. Lots of extension left on the mirrows if I were to need to use it. I have never noticed any vibration while towing.

https://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors

Mike

Those are similar to what my Dad used on his trailer back in the 60s. Similar mirrors have been blamed for paint damage where they attach to the door.

Thanks

* This post was edited 10/29/20 08:01pm by Stepnwolf *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.