Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 12:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

[image]
Mike

Is that a HORSE I see standing behind the truck??? Does it ride in the back seat??? LOL

I have an '03 RAM 2500 that came to me with standard mirrors (and I think the original owner had been hauling gooseneck hay trailers with it, but that is another story) In any case, I replaced the mirrors with the MOPAR extended flip out mirrors that were optional for the truck, When flipped out, I can still back in the side door to my shop (exactly 10 ft opening) but only have about 3 inches or less on each side when I do. I hate flipping the mirrors back and forth as this is a Tradesman model with manual mirrors, no switches here to tweak them.

Charles

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am i the only one who hates the big rectangle tow mirrors? i guess if you live with them every day you'd get used to them but man are they obnoxious driving around town. they take up the whole window. you could run cars over in parking lots on accident lol. I've had various jobs over the years where ive had to drive a shop truck for an errand and i hate them. I've also hauled pontoons for a living in the past. Im no novice. I tow a 20' trailer with stock 06 Silverado mirrors and haven't had any issues where i thought i needed a bigger mirror. just my .02 cents!

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stepenwolf,

Go back to the link I sent. There is a picture showing an extension of 3.75 inches on these mirrors. I never really measured mine.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/20 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

Am i the only one who hates the big rectangle tow mirrors? i guess if you live with them every day you'd get used to them but man are they obnoxious driving around town. they take up the whole window. you could run cars over in parking lots on accident lol. I've had various jobs over the years where ive had to drive a shop truck for an errand and i hate them. I've also hauled pontoons for a living in the past. Im no novice. I tow a 20' trailer with stock 06 Silverado mirrors and haven't had any issues where i thought i needed a bigger mirror. just my .02 cents!

I agree. I think it comes down to how much you use your truck for towing. Driving around town you do have to be careful but like all things, you get used to it. While towing I don't want to tow without the mirrors. Toyota trucks always come without the towing mirrors. They don't even show up as an "option". If you want them you have to pay extra for them to be installed. The trailer towing option has all that you would expect, except for towing mirrors! I find this crazy.

I respect your 2 cents worth, or your $.02 value. You have sold yourself very short in offering only .02 cents worth. As a math teacher it drives me wild when I see signs offering something for .89¢ off! Really? That is less than a penny. Years ago, a local drive in was advertising small shakes for .99¢. I told my students to go through the drive through, order a shake and give them a penny and tell them to "keep the change".

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ZINGERLITE wrote:

I think the extendable mirrors are the way to go. They are pushed in for regular use, pulled out when towing.

I am guessing your trailers were 8' wide or less as I cannot see down the side of the trailer with standard Sequoia/Tundra mirrors.

Step 'N' Wolf
Toyota Sequoia Platinum
Arctic Fox 22GQ
Land of Enchantment

Stepnwolf

Rio Rancho

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/20 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

Stepenwolf,

Go back to the link I sent. There is a picture showing an extension of 3.75 inches on these mirrors. I never really measured mine.

You are right....what appears like the exact same mirror I linked to says they extend 3" vs. 3.75". I have found so many mistakes in ads I don't know what to believe until it is in my hands.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stepnwolf wrote:

mdcamping wrote:

[image]

Late to the thread, I have been using the McKesh Mirrors for 13 yrs. once they are set up, they come off super easy and fast, no adjusting again. My tt is 8' wide and I see square down the sides of my trailer while towing. Lots of extension left on the mirrows if I were to need to use it. I have never noticed any vibration while towing.

https://hensleymfg.com/products/mckesh-mirrors

Mike

Those are similar to what my Dad used on his trailer back in the 60s. Similar mirrors have been blamed for paint damage where they attach to the door.

Thanks

With mine, the only thing I have noticed is a slight shadow from the straps when removed, when I take the truck through the car wash, 99% improvement, would not notice anything unless I look for it.

Every few yrs I treat the truck to a detailing. no shadows, no nothing, everything looks factory new.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 210K"

Where we have camped

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/20 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CharlesinGA wrote:

mdcamping wrote:

[image]
Mike

Is that a HORSE I see standing behind the truck??? Does it ride in the back seat??? LOL Charles

No horseplay! [emoticon] [emoticon] LOL

Assateague state park, MD The horses own the Island, we were just guest. [emoticon]

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How wide do mirrors need to be for a TT?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.