Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/20 08:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have burned up two 30 amp plugs on my travel trailer in the last three years. Apparently, they lose connectivity, heat up, lose more connectivity, and burn themselves up. Any lubricant that would make for a better connection and eliminate this problem?

wopachop

Who run bartertown

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like the connector on your trailer needs to be replaced. The contacts are no longer tight.

Im a fan of dielectric grease but only use it on connectors that rarely get used.

I picture the trailer connector attracting too much dirt if you used grease. I dont think its supposed to be used for lubricity. Its more the absence of oxygen and moisture. Keeps things from corroding.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plugged into what? You can't go around replacing every park connector. If the site has 50 amp available consider using an adapter.

For a superior replacement plug try this one:
https://www.progressiveindustries.net/tt-30p

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Start turning off the breaker before plugging in and avoid outlets that already have burn marks.

What usually happens is people plug in hot, this causes arcing as the metal comes into contact and starts to leave burn marks on the prongs. These burn marks act as weak insulators which increases the heat and the next time you plug in, the arcing is worse...eventually it reaches the point where you've burnt up the plug.

By turning off the breaker, there is no arcing at the plug. If you do see burn marks use very fine sandpaper to clean off the burn marks, so they don't compound the issue.

Also, keep an eye on the voltage and don't do a continuous draw of more than around 24amps. A lot of people try to use all 30amps and that will overheat things. Reality is the 30amp outlet is only rated for 24amp continuous draw.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Show a pic of what you are having issues with.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity and probably shouldn't be used on electrical plugs. I suggest using a conductive grease such as Noalox which is inexpensive and can be picked up at any Big Box store. Hope this helps.

Kevin

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ksg5000 wrote:

Dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity and probably shouldn't be used on electrical plugs. I suggest using a conductive grease such as Noalox which is inexpensive and can be picked up at any Big Box store. Hope this helps.

Thanks. I know a little about dielectric grease and wondered why some recommend it. But I did not know about Noalox. I do the breaker off thing, but if the previous hundred users connected hot, the receptacle is on its way out. Maybe what I need is a 30 amp male plug with sandpaper prongs to prep the outlet?

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dielectric grease is used OEM on sensors operating in the millivolt range.

The only electronic contact cleaner that works is

DeOxit D-100

Don't play games with the D-100 part number. It is the strongest DeOxit cleaner and you need it. Try squirting it into the receptacle slots and then onto your plug prongs. Then slip the plug in and out 20 times to rub off the corrosion.

Without disassembly this is the only thing you can do. Other contact cleaners are a farce. Let us know if this helps.

2oldman

Mecca

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It may not be the blades, it may be that the wires come loose at the screw connections. Or, you may simply be using too much power at one time, like air and water heater and converter.

johnhicks

Wandering below the Gnat Line

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't hurt anything using dielectric grease or cosmoline but won't help anything either. Deoxit works for cleaning but won't help if the socket is burned or mechanically compromised.

Turn off loads and pull the CG breaker when plugging in or unplugging.

When a CG socket gets burned and loose there's nothing you can do about it. If there's a 50A socket available use a dogbone and plug into it

-jbh-

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.