Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Mont G&J

Missoula, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dielectric grease, or tune-up grease, is a silicone-based grease that repels moisture and protects electrical connections against corrosion. ... The grease does not conduct electricity, so it shouldn't be applied directly to the mating surfaces (pins and sockets) of an electrical connection.

Since many of the 30 Amp power receptacles in RV Parks are loose and worn out I use a 50 to 30 Amp adapter. I plug in to the 50 Amp receptaacle for a secure and tight connection.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By using a Y base like a jackstand (I preferred 3' height in my park) or bungee cord droop strain can be greatly relieved. That will greatly relieve pressure on the wiper clips in the receptacle. For instance 20-years ago when I brought a thousand feet Of Romex 14 and Romex 10 to wire things I used wire nuts to junction. I used pressurized silicone grease to fill each nut then twisted it on tighten. The hotel sits seventy feet above crashing ocean waves. The Canadian owner abandoned it so I yanked out the RV Park wire and receptacles. When I checked the terminals of the receptacles, they were bright shiny penny color. The park was finished in 2002.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dielectric grease for 30 amp plug and receptacle?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.