cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do propane fire pits put out any heat?

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I like the heat and ambiance of a good wood fire when camping. But after more than 35 years of camping I'm finding that I'm starting to not enjoy constantly moving around the fire pit to stay out of the smoke. So I've been considering a propane fire pit, but I'm concerned about the heat output.

What are your thoughts? Do the propane pits put out a decent amount of heat compared to a modest wood fire?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup
38 REPLIES 38

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Best fuel is acetylene. When I was a field construction boilermaker working winters outside in Chicago we'd make salamanders from a piece of 6-8" pipe with legs welded to it and holes burned in it. Then stick an acetylene torch in it, nice heater.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
There decent, get one , especially for the fire bans. You can always buy wood and have a real fire some nights also. For me it was a bit of both , convenience and bans. You can come back late , light it up in no time and shut it off with a turn of a knob. Good for rainy days, soaked firewood and the like. I dont travel with firewood, as its not kiln dryed. ( trying to stop the bugs, yea thats a big deal) Sometimes i do take lumber scraps but they burn too quick. Just get it.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
kellem wrote:
way2roll wrote:
kellem wrote:

A Propane firepit would have to be quite small to be considered portable as Lava rock is dense.

Lava rock isn't dense at all. Quite the opposite, it's very porous and light.

The 2 bags of lava rocks that came with our firepit were indeed porous but definitely not light.....a cinder block is also porous.

SMH. Lava rock isn't heavy. Maybe you need to hit the gym.

City people !

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:
way2roll wrote:
kellem wrote:

A Propane firepit would have to be quite small to be considered portable as Lava rock is dense.

The 2 bags of lava rocks that came with our firepit were indeed porous but definitely not light.....a cinder block is also porous.

SMH. Lava rock isn't heavy. Maybe you need to hit the gym.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
way2roll wrote:
kellem wrote:

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Kind of funny: I recall as a kid my Dad yelling at me about closing the front door: "what are you trying to do, heat the whole outside?"
A gas fire pit strikes me as a bit of a run down that road!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
kellem wrote:

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
opnspaces wrote:
A 4 foot flame? I can just picture the propane cylinder freezing up.

At full open on our camp chef the tank starts to frost up. It's a decent flame and I am sure a pretty good lp draw.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
The portable pit we carry is rated for a maximum output of 52,000 btu - it keeps us warm in most cases...
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
A 4 foot flame? I can just picture the propane cylinder freezing up.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
We, too, have a Camp Chef propane fire pit. At first startup, it gives out very little heat, but as the lava rocks heat up, it gets better. It does NOT put out as much heat as a wood fire, but part of that is due to it's smaller diameter, which is typically smaller than a normal wood campfire. If it's a mild evening, it works fine, but if it's cold, it just doesn't put out the body-warming heat that a typical campfire does.

There is a "fix", however. I replaced the stock fixed regulator with an adjustable regulator that goes up to 5psi (standard is 0.5psi, I believe). Although I never use it that high (it gives a 4'+ high flame!!!), I do often turn it up to about 2psi.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

MrWizard
Just so you know
[ img] height=3 width=2[ /img]

There is no URL in the posted image link for the photo
And 3 pixels by 2 pixels would only be a dot on the screen
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Kind of hard to make stick biscuits over a gas fire? Or Smores either.

Our grand children would debate your statement haha.

Need coals to correctly cook stick biscuits. Flame burns them.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

CabinetmakerII
Explorer
Explorer
We use our propane fire pit a LOT! We learned a trick to help spread the heat to those sitting around the fire. We hung an old satellite dish from a Shepard's Hook over the fire. Works great! I will try to post a picture but have never had much luck doing so...
Cabinetmaker

2021 DRV 39 DBRS3
2017 F-450 4X4, Riece 24K Hitch
2011 F-450 4X4, Companion 18K Hitch, Air Bags (Retired)
2012 Cyclone 3800, 5th Airborne Kingpin (Retired)
2018 Polairs 1000 XP Side by Side