cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How is the automatic step suppoed to work

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
How is the automatic step supposed to work? I swear it would open stay out when parked until I turned on the ignition key. Now it goes in and out every time I open or close the door. What is proper?
The class A is a 2020 Coachmen Pursuit XPS
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there are TWO answers depending on the age of the Stepcontroller

This is for KWIKE steps (Whatever they are called today) the controller is under the part of the step that attaches to the motor home if it is a RETANGLE than it's old..

The new one looks triangular (really a trapizoid but hey Let's not pic nits)

The new one.. When the door is closed normally a magnet in the screen door closes a magnetic reed switch. IF the steps are not "Locked" then they retract

IF they are "Locked" Then they stay out unless you start the engine then they still retract (Engine overrides lock) only they may not retract fully so do not trust the ignition override.

THe "Step switch" in this configuration si called an OVERRIDE switch but you can call it the lock.

THe old one the reed switch is normally closed the door magnet opens it and the steps retract (Can't use the same switch now) The switch is called a POWER switch and from what I know locks both in and out.. Again Ignition overrides out.

NOW.. Find the fuse box. On my rig it's the Intelletec Battery Control Center box (yours may not have one of those but if it does YIPPPIE) in this box are a number of 5 amp fuses. ONE of them is dedicated to that "override" switch.

Suspect #1
Suspect #2 is the switch itself
Does it light? If not.. cycle it several times with batteries DISconnected and no shore or generator power Try again with batteries connected if it lights and steps work well You fixed it. Believe it or not.

After that I'd check the multi-pin connector near the controller. Unplug and re-conenct a few times

After that $$$$$$$$$$$$
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Found the switch and it works as advertised! Thanks for the help

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
old idaho guy wrote:
Thanks for the info! I will look for the switch

ours is right beside the door.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The step should always follow the door when the ignition key is turned on, retracting when closed, extending when opened, regardless of the step switch position. With the ignition off, it depends on the step switch position.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info! I will look for the switch

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
There is probably a switch somewhere, maybe near the door?, that allows the step to work 2 different ways. With ignition off it will open when door is first opened and stay open. Or it will open/close when the door is opened and closed each time. Look for that switch and try it in the other position.

rdhetrick
Explorer
Explorer
There should be a "step" switch somewhere. In one position it will behave as it does now, in the other position, it will behave as it used to.
Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

mleekamp
Explorer
Explorer
typically, there is an ON/OFF switch for the step. Mine works this way, and you can test yours to see if it is the same:

Switch in ON position: step folds in/out as door opens/closes. All the time.

Switch in OFF Position: step folds out as door opens, remains out, until you turn ignition key to ON, then folds in.

Make sure you have the switch to OFF to keep it "out" while parked.