cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

favorite tow vehicle for small trailer??

albireo13
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Newbie here.
Wife and I are looking into a small trailer (Aliner, Scamp, teardrop, etc) for maybe next year. We want something small so we can tow it with a car/SUV.
I am thinking <3500lb total weight.

My current car is a 2009 Pilot which is very long in the tooth. I relly need a new car so, I am shopping for that first. It will also be my daily drive car so, gas mileage is important, as is driving comfort. It will also be our tow vehicle in the future. I'd prefer a crossover or compact SUV or something like that.

My Pilot is chunky and gas mileage isn't great (< 20mpg highway, towing nothing). Plus, it has blind spots which bother me. I want to replace it soon. Budget is <$35K so high end vehicles are out of the picture.

Some cars I am considering:
Subaru Outback
Honda Passport
Toyota Highlander

I was wondering what folks use (and like) for towing their small trailers.
Whatcha got??
just me
37 REPLIES 37

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Same as for a big trailer.

albireo13
Explorer
Explorer
Let me edit it a bit. Max dry TT weight will be 2500lb, not 3500lb.
Looking into teardrops, Aliner, etc.
just me

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
My favorite tow vehicle for a small trailer is my 2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW.

I know that's not helpful in your decision by any stretch of the imagination, but the question specified FAVORITE. I simply like driving the truck.

Nothing wrong with that... most folks who actually “get it”
feel the same way. For 15 years my favorite truck was an F-150 SCab now it’s my Honda Ridgeline. Drive what you like/love.

:C

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
My favorite tow vehicle for a small trailer is my 2002 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW.

I know that's not helpful in your decision by any stretch of the imagination, but the question specified FAVORITE. I simply like driving the truck.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Stclairm
Explorer
Explorer
I personally found the Tacoma to be really lacking in bottom end torque and just overall power. Our Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6 towed 3000 plus with no issues. If I were looking to tow 3500-4500 or so, it would be the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon/Denali.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
I have an outback with CVT. I tow a 500lb trailer with a 700lb load. It tows it just fine with no issues. Someone mentioned trailer brakes. That is overkill and not needed. If your small car needs to pull a trailer with trailer brakes, you have the wrong TV.

I'm not sure I can agree with this!
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with the Highlander on that list. They are a nice vehicle, reliable, descent gas mileage and more than adequate towing capacity for 3500 lbs of trailer. I would not go with the Outback and be maxed out or beyond. Does the rating get reduced for every lb of stuff that goes in the car? Most likely. Plus you need to look at the hitches on these vehicles and make sure they can handle the tongue weight. They probably can, but check to be sure.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
I have an outback with CVT. I tow a 500lb trailer with a 700lb load. It tows it just fine with no issues. Someone mentioned trailer brakes. That is overkill and not needed. If your small car needs to pull a trailer with trailer brakes, you have the wrong TV.

Don't expect the same results if you triple that weight and add some wind resistance. A 1200lb trailer could be towed ok with a Yugo, but CVTs are HORRIBLE for towing. Actually they will pull ok, for a while, but it is hard on a trans that never truly locks up.

And don't believe me, but believe my buddy who is a career auto mechanic and self proclaimed Suby nut. He wouldn't tow anything with a CVT.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I really like my 2020 Ford Ranger XLT Crew cab. Less than $35k, 25+ mpg highway. 7,500 pound tow rating. 1,750 pound payload. Room for 5. 300 pound feet of torque with a 2.3 turbo 4 cylinder engine. Rear wheel drive and can be had with 4wd. A little more tow vehicle than you asked for but ready for that 3,000 pound unit in two years

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
SweetLou wrote:

Cheap insurance. If you shop around, the parts to add electric brakes on a small trailer are <$500 (backing plates, shoes, hardware, drum and hubs, brake controller). 3 hours labor tops.

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
albireo13 wrote:
Right now, my short list is:
Outback 2.4/turbo 3500lb tow
Subaru Ascent 2.4/turbo 5000lb tow
Honda Passport 3.4L/V6 5000lb tow
Toyota Highlander 3.5L/V6 5000lb tow

I looked at the Rav4 and really liked it. It is very tempting. The wheelbase seems the shortest though. I hope to test drive them and that will thi the list out methinks.

The RAV4 is a compact suv and has an even lower tow rating and is just a 2.5 liter naturally aspirated four cylinder which wouldn't be adequate.

Of your shortlist, I'd choose the highlander.
Jeep and Explorer

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Of the ones on your list, I'd probably rank them thusly:

Highlander
Ascent
Passport
Outback (last mainly due to the tow rating)

I too would be a little leary of towing with a CVT. Of course, if you are looking at a new Highlander with the 8 speed transmission, there have been some complaints about it too so who knows?

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I don't tow much with it, but I love my 2016 Explorer Sport (with the 3.5 Eco-Boost). It could tow the types of trailers you mention without issue. Not sure you'd be too happy with the gas mileage though. I average around 19-20 with city driving, gets up to 23-24 on the highway. But I have a lead foot and live in an area where a lot of the highways are 75mph speed limits.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor